Another dang rattle

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Somewhere beneith the seat or even further back, there is a deep rattle, Something is loose. I have looked above the gas tank, check the tire carrier , removed the wheels and brakes and callipers, tightened up the super 88 flanges. checked all the control arms, track bar. 1checked the 1.25 body lift, made sure my back seat it latchet tight. and I can not find the rattle. Like I said its a deep rattle kinda like a pool ball. I do have a OX locker , so the only other thing I can think of doing is removing the Diff cover and making sure the bearing caps are tight and the ox locker and gears are looking good. Everything is working perfectly . The pinion nut has not moved and the U-joints are tight. It has not been too long ago that I checked the transmission mount and it was good, Sometimes the transfer case makes some strange noises, but the rattle is no where close to the transfer can that I can tell. Thinking about ratchet strapping myself under the jeep while someone drives it down a bumpy road. anyway ill start again tomorrow looking for whats wrong. any help? oh yeah, ive checked the entire exhaust and the heat shields above it.

Check your skid plate bolts and crossmember bolts if you have one depending on your model... They can appear tight but have loose nutserts.

Last edited:
loose or blown out shock?
ya know thats exactly what it sounds like and i thought it was , but over the last 2 weeks ive had the lower part of the shock off and they seem to be fine. i could bairly push them back up into the shock mount.
The rattle happens even backing out of the drive way onto the gravel drive. Could the shock still be bad if it has resistance to it?

ya know thats exactly what it sounds like and i thought it was , but over the last 2 weeks ive had the lower part of the shock off and they seem to be fine. i could bairly push them back up into the shock mount.
The rattle happens even backing out of the drive way onto the gravel drive. Could the shock still be bad if it has resistance to it?
Unlikely, but what about the upper shock bushing?
And just like @jjvw said, look at the rear stabilizer links and sway bar bushings.

You could disconnect the stabilizer links and remove the rear shocks systematically and see if that makes a difference.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Unlikely, but what about the upper shock bushing?
And just like @jjvw said, look at the rear stabilizer links and sway bar bushings.

You could disconnect the stabilizer links and remove the rear shocks systematically and see if that makes a difference.
i am a bout to have my rear shocks outboarded , so new shocks are coming for that anyway. SO ill try the process of elimination today.

Funny rattles and squeaks, boy do we know these.. always chasing them. One really crazy one.. a weird squeak on the passenger side..if you push hard on the dash or crash bar, it would change pitch. It drove (pun) my wife nuts. I pulled the passenger seat.. nope. The glove box, nope, speaker cover, nope... then it was driving me nuts.. for some reason I got a mirror out to look for a squeek..nuts right.. but I noted something red between the windshield gasket and front vent cover.. I pulled the vent cover panel out.. and found a red plastic dairy queen spoon:) 😃 the funny thing was, we never went to dairy queen.. just something you inherit from a previous owner..
And now the following week, we are chasing another clunk, and the stereo doesn't seem to cancel..
JEEPS a great name, but SQUEAKS seems more fitting..

I have a noise that sounds like something loose inside my glove ,or behind it. I've even removed the glove box to no avail. Its a plastic sound not metallic at all.

I have a set of chassis ears back from when I used to fix cars for a living. The full set w/ 6 clamps is a hundred bucks which is kinda pricey for as often as you'd actually use it, but it looks like they make a single clamp model as well. These things work really well in my experience.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00396FBRY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I’m going with skid plate, @AndyG and I just replaced the bolts in 2 jeeps and from what I’ve read , pretty common for it to loosen and it sounds like the muffler rattling on the frame or something close.

I have a set of chassis ears back from when I used to fix cars for a living. The full set w/ 6 clamps is a hundred bucks which is kinda pricey for as often as you'd actually use it, but it looks like they make a single clamp model as well. These things work really well in my experience.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00396FBRY/?tag=wranglerorg-20
If you have one from years ago, hold on to it. The ones they make now suck!!
Evert couple of months we end up replacing ours. The channels just stop working or you get tons of static .

Reactions: qslim
well, I may have found the source , it has to do with the tire carrier and how it attatches to the rear door. SO I moved it around pried the bushing back up into the metal rings and had no rattle all day. I came back home after several hours and removed the 4" steel bar with rings for the bushings , (this thing actually connects the tire carrier to the door), that way when you open the door the carrier goes right along with the rear door. I still heard it just bairly but at least im on track.

If you have one from years ago, hold on to it. The ones they make now suck!!
Evert couple of months we end up replacing ours. The channels just stop working or you get tons of static .
Yeah? Good to know. I bought mine off the Mac truck probably around 2000. Don't remember what I paid but who cares as long as I kept giving the guy $40 bucks a week :LOL: .

Still works great though, used it to find a bad wheel bearing on my wife's truck last year. It's big & clunky.