Another forum community post...

Pretty pathetic. Sign of the times, it seems. There's a person on every major intersection where I live these days with a sign and their hand out, looking for someone else to fund their living expenses. It's one thing to see a person in a wheelchair with no legs, another when a young, healthy person is asking for a handout. Kinda like Go Fund My Stupidity for leaving my stuff in my soft top Jeep.

Pretty pathetic. Sign of the times, it seems. There's a person on every major intersection where I live these days with a sign and their hand out, looking for someone else to fund their living expenses. It's one thing to see a person in a wheelchair with no legs, another when a young, healthy person is asking for a handout. Kinda like Go Fund My Stupidity for leaving my stuff in my soft top Jeep.

Same here... Every damn intersection, and they keep popping up more-and-more. My wife asks why, and I told her that they make more money doing that than a full time minimum wage job. She didn't believe me, but I told her that they wouldn't be standing there exposing themselves to the elements if they didn't make much money. I told her that she would be surprised how gullible people are. I always laugh at the desperate signs they come up with.

The other day it was a woman and her two daughters, about 4 and 5. That should be illegal right there.

Reactions: UpperMI and JMT
I hate it when people use GoFundMe like this. It's suppose to be a place where you can get REAL financial help.

My wife and I had a GoFundMe page. We tried to have kids for 4.5 years. Went thru 4 miscarriages, 3 surgeries and a few trips to a fertility clinic. Didn't go thru Invitro or anything like that.

Didn't work for us.

Then we found out that GOD had intended for us to go the adoption route. We didn't have the money, so we had a large garage sale, pancake breakfast. I sold guns. I worked over time. Sold my woodworking projects.

I started the GoFundMe page to ask help with the cost. Only received $350. And I believe our intentions were good and honest. The money was going to a good place.

Then you have people like this who need a new soft top and stereo system.

"Sigh".

I had to wait till I was almost 40 to get a jeep. Had responsibilities and all. No pity whatsoever for that ass hat!
Am I the only one that has issues with parents handing their 16 year olds in particular jeeps? I know a number of 16 year olds that were given a wrangler drove it for a few months to get girls then realized it's not a "race car" and the stereo sucks so they traded it for a POS Pontiac or something alike. I feel diffently if it's say a wrangler family and the kid actually loves it and cares for it with maintence etc.

I'm in college, but I saved all my money since I was 15 for a Jeep and had to get a bank loan for the second half and even then it was a used TJ sport with 115k on it. My dad is in the same boat. He has wanted a wrangler for decades he got his first Jeep when he was about 40 as well.

So many of my old highschool classmates parents bought them these brand new cars. In a minor way I wish I was given a free car, but honestly I am SO happy I worked for my jeep. I love it. It wouldn't mean the same if it was handed to me. (Most of them actually ended up crashing them. Somehow I'm not surprised.)

Not the same as the go fund me I know, but reminds be of the lack of responsibilities of the younger generation. I know people that have to fund me's for a PlayStation or whatever. I don't even get that they are like $300 bucks. Most of the go fund mes are f*cking stupid.

In the instance of that guys Jeep, did he leave the keys in it? Is a Jk that easy to Hotwire?

I hate being a part of the current generation. Wish I was on the same boat as most of you guys. I've seen enough short clips from those stupid shows where parents buy their kids corvettes and it's the wrong color and they throw a fit. "I WANTED PINK NOT WHITE I HATE YOU MY LIFE IS RUINED!!" I hate my generation haha.

Last edited:
Well at least you know he isn't lying. ;)

Another option would have been to check FB and CL. People are always selling old tops for very cheap.

I haven't had a working stereo in mine since I bought it two years ago. Come to think of it. . . I think I will start a go fund me page.
My CD player doesn't work in my tj. Should I make a go fund me? "Yes, id like $25,000 for a rubicon. My CD player won't work and my doors and body have scratches from branches etc. therefore I need a new Jeep"

Last edited:
Someone sliced open my windows when I worked in Pittsburgh. I glued the plastic back together and used transparent duct tape. Looked totally not like new but kept out the rain till I got enough $$ for a 1/2 top.

Go fund my ass.

Reactions: JMT, Bird and Tj04
My parents where 'old school' to the point of if you want anything son go and get it...we will give you advice but don't come asking for money. So it was go get a job or 2 if needed and save for it !! Makes you appreciate what you have allot more when you know you've sacrificed going out with your mates for whatever you saved for.
I've instilled that into my kids now (so far so good with that one) haha

Reactions: JMT and Tj04
Am I the only one that has issues with parents handing their 16 year olds in particular jeeps? I know a number of 16 year olds that were given a wrangler drove it for a few months to get girls then realized it's not a "race car" and the stereo sucks so they traded it for a POS Pontiac or something alike. I feel diffently if it's say a wrangler family and the kid actually loves it and cares for it with maintence etc.

I'm in college, but I saved all my money since I was 15 for a Jeep and had to get a bank loan for the second half and even then it was a used TJ sport with 115k on it. My dad is in the same boat. He has wanted a wrangler for decades he got his first Jeep when he was about 40 as well.

So many of my old highschool classmates parents bought them these brand new cars. In a minor way I wish I was given a free car, but honestly I am SO happy I worked for my jeep. I love it. It wouldn't mean the same if it was handed to me. (Most of them actually ended up crashing them. Somehow I'm not surprised.)

Not the same as the go fund me I know, but reminds be of the lack of responsibilities of the younger generation. I know people that have to fund me's for a PlayStation or whatever. I don't even get that they are like $300 bucks. Most of the go fund mes are f*cking stupid.

In the instance of that guys Jeep, did he leave the keys in it? Is a Jk that easy to Hotwire?

I hate being a part of the current generation. Wish I was on the same boat as most of you guys. I've seen enough short clips from those stupid shows where parents buy their kids corvettes and it's the wrong color and they throw a fit. "I WANTED PINK NOT WHITE I HATE YOU MY LIFE IS RUINED!!" I hate my generation haha.
Best post on the thread hands down. And coming from a millennial. You are way ahead of your time...speaking of, where did you come from?

Best post on the thread hands down. And coming from a millennial. You are way ahead of your time...speaking of, where did you come from?
I agree to a certain extent. Not all kids that were handed vehicles in high school grow up to be like the ones you speak of. My family for instance did gift me a Cherokee country when I was in high school so I didn't have to work. I was able to focus on academics and sports that I was in, and I thank them everyday for giving me my first vehicle. I agree with the above, but it's so easy to lump "all 16yr olds" into the same category when that simply isn't the case. I was fortunate growing up, but I have also worked my ass off to get where I am today. Moral to the rant gifts are gifts....hard work can't be given.

Reactions: Tj04 and JMT
How'd you rip both? Just curious. I've just got a Bimini and hard top so no experience.

Clarify, I had a hard top and a safari top. Wanted a soft top for summer wheeling. Bought a complete soft top with frame for $100. It was a little beat up, so ran it for 2 summers. 2nd summer I put a 8" rip in the roof, driver side. Gorilla taped it for the remainder of the season. Found a second roof skin on CL for $75 in good shape. Running this top currently.

Reactions: Tj04 and StG58
Clarify, I had a hard top and a safari top. Wanted a soft top for summer wheeling. Bought a complete soft top with frame for $100. It was a little beat up, so ran it for 2 summers. 2nd summer I put a 8" rip in the roof, driver side. Gorilla taped it for the remainder of the season. Found a second roof skin on CL for $75 in good shape. Running this top currently.
Soft top with frame for $100? Wow! Good score!

Reactions: Shane Mckinley

It sounds like you were raised right. Nice to hear in this day and age. make sure to thank your parents. And you're absolutely correct. The willingenss to save and save for something you want makes you appreciate it that much more. I wish more people understood that concept.

Reactions: JMT and Tj04
0a.jpg

Last edited: