Another high idle problem!

bluedemon

I have been having problems with my Jeep ever since I passed a slow driver on the road! When I gunned it to get past this person my engine suddenly starting running really bad. it was barely running and had no power at all. It smelled really gassy and my engine light came on. I eventually made it home "limping" the rest of the way, When I checked the codes I found out it was a P0303 misfire in cylinder 3. I checked the coil pack and found no problems but I changed all my plugs just to be safe. I started it up and it was still smelling really gassy so next I checked the fuel injectors and found one that was stuck open. I replaced them with stock Mopar injectors. I finally got the Jeep running but as it would idle it would sometimes sound like it would die but then it would "come back" and idle high at about 1250 RPM. I did get a engine code(P0505) for my IACV so I replaced it with a Mopar one and I am still getting the code. I have checked all my vacuum lines (with throttle body cleaner) and I have nothing leaking but it still idles at 1250 and I am still getting the code P0505. Is there anything else that could cause a high idle? Temp sensor? I am stumped and I don't want to keep throwing money at it. I would appreciate any ones help on this. Thank You! Sorry for the long post.

Did you spray some fluid around the manifold where it meets the head? maybe bad gasket.
Also you can get a fat cigar and blow some smoke into your intake/vacuum lines see if it comes out of somewhere it aint supposed to. If it aint leaking air then i would deff do a compression test. If a cylinder is really low on compression it wont ignite the fuel will cause a missfire. Will not pull enough air and throw codes for all kinds of things.

Get a compression test on those cylinders and do a smoke test for leaks. Dont just do a compression with a ratchet on the crank run the engine. you get diff readings under stress vs not understress.

SOLVED!!! Hey everyone Thank you for those who commented or gave me advise about my problem. I am sorry that I did not get back to you right away. Things are very hectic in our house right now.
Anyways I figured out what was going on with my constant P0505 code and high idle so hopefully this will help someone else who may have the same problem. I had the Jeep running and it was idling at about 1250RPM and of course I was getting that code P0505. I would erase the code with my scanner and in 3 to 5 minutes it would come back and I could not get the idle to go down. So as I had it running I decided to push on the back of the connector for the IACV. I knew it was on all the way when I connected it earlier because I heard an audible click. But here to find out that when I did push the connector on it was actually pushing the wires out of the back of the connector! When I pushed on the back of the connector the idle started coming down and suddenly it was idling at about 500RPM. I was ecstatic! No more code P0505 either!
I have been wanting to get my jeep out all Spring because I just had a custom tire cover made for my spare tire. I am kind of in to Dinosaurs - specifically velociraptors. Tell me what you think?

Ferencevich.jpg

Reactions: Scout734
So after I pushed the wires in and the Idle came down I thought it would stay there but when I started it today it was high idle again and it even died on me a couple of times. The P0505 code and the P0123 code came on. I am assuming that the TPS code came on because of the IACV. I went and bought 2 new connectors for both the TPS and the IACV. When I pushed on the back of the IACV connector the idle did go down but went back up when I let go. I could see the orange gasket sticking out of back of the connector and thought that I would stop screwing around with it and fix it for good! I won't get the connectors until Friday but I will update when I replace them

Reactions: Jeffseven777
I will work on that smoke and compression check on the weekend. Right now I am getting a TPS code P0123. I decided to do a test like it says on this forum. I turned my key on, engine off and disconnected the TPS. When I probed the first contact in the connector (orange wire) it read 5.14 then I probed the second contact in the connector (orange with black stripe) it was 5.08. I thought it had to be 5 or lower? The third contact in the connector was the ground and I had good continuity. The next thing I am going to do is connect it to the throttle body and do a back probe to see if when I hit the throttle if it goes up smoothly or if it has any flat spots. does anyone have any tips?

I will work on that smoke and compression check on the weekend. Right now I am getting a TPS code P0123. I decided to do a test like it says on this forum. I turned my key on, engine off and disconnected the TPS. When I probed the first contact in the connector (orange wire) it read 5.14 then I probed the second contact in the connector (orange with black stripe) it was 5.08. I thought it had to be 5 or lower? The third contact in the connector was the ground and I had good continuity. The next thing I am going to do is connect it to the throttle body and do a back probe to see if when I hit the throttle if it goes up smoothly or if it has any flat spots. does anyone have any tips?
Did you figure it out? im having the same exact issues. i've replaced my TPS,IAC, and MAP with no luck, today i noticed the orange gasket thing sticking out of the back of the iac connector as well.