Another Jeep Mod Rabbit Hole

Jp'n Jess

Supporting Member
Well it all started when I was young, riding around the woods with my grandfather in his willys cj2a. I have always enjoyed riding in the old jeep and tinkering with it when needed. I still drive it a few times a year and we continue to use it as a deer camp jeep for now. I always wanted a Jeep of my own, and was finally at a place in my life recently, where I could justify purchasing one.

I ended up purchasing a '01 Sport, 5 speed, with cruise control, the dana 44 rear, and just under 100k miles on it.

It took 1 WEEK before I started updating, upgrading, and modifying! The first thing to update were the sun faded fender flares. I pulled those off the jeep, sanded, and then repainted using a rattle can truck bed liner. They turned out great and brought those old flares back to life!

The 2nd upgrade I made pretty quickly was the headlights. We all know how awful the stock Jeep lights are on these things. So I spent some time digging here in the forum and found some "Trucklite" knockoffs on amazon for around $100. That has been money well spent as I can now see at night!

The 3rd fix I had to tackle was the leaking valve cover gasket. Threw in a fel-pro gasket and stopped the leaking.

Not long after I had the jeep I started having trouble driving it in the rain. I would lose power and the motor would start missing anytime I was driving in the rain. It was quite frustrating and took a while to figure out. Eventually after a lot of head scratching I found that my coil pack had a crack in it and would start to short out if any moisture got to it. Soooo new coil pack.

After that I drove it for a few months with no problems and starting saving for new wheels and tires. I ended up finding a set of steel wheels on Craigslist for $100 so I purchased them. I love to turn a wrench and to tinker, so I'm not opposed to buying anything used if I feel I can save money and bring it back to life using my own time and skills. The wheels were showing rust so I sanded them down, primed, and then painted them with a satin black Krylon spray paint. They turned out great!

So then I decided after more research that I wanted to increase the 31's and go with 33's. To do this I would need a lift. For now, I decided to go with a 2 inch budget boost just to get me down the road. I will slowly add quality parts to the jeep and would eventually like to end up with 3-4 inches of lift.

I went with 2 inches of lift to try and avoid the driveline vibrations. . . well lucky me, I had terrible vibrations with just the 2 inches of lift. So I dropped the transfer case 1 inch and that has eliminated the vibration. I plan on installing a SYE, drive shaft, and upper rear control arms, within the next 6 months so I can raise the transfer case back up and increase my lift height later down the road without vibrations being an issue again. I also realized that my ride was TERRIBLE after installing the 2 inch spacer lift. Especially after I took the hardtop, along with the spare tire off the Jeep. Because of the decrease in weight my ride height changed so much so that my stock shocks would limit down travel when hitting bumps in the road. Thanks to you guys I measured my ride height and purchased a longer set of Rancho rs5000x. These shocks are as good as people on this forum say they are!! Night and day difference on how well my Jeep rides now.

So that is where I am at currently in the on going process of my Jeep upgrading/updating/modifying. As I said my next move is the SYE kit and rear upper control arms. Once I get that done I will have a set of 4.56 gears thrown in it and a set of lockers, or maybe a set of truetracs, or maybe one of each. I'll cross that bridge when I get there!

Last edited:
Before and after wheels and tires.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So I also went ahead and built a hoist system to hang the hardtop. It was hard to get it on and off by myself. I like the idea of extra space in my garage too. I was originally using a homade dolly that you can see in the background of my previous pictures.

image.jpeg

You want to go down a bigger rabbit hole? Figure out what you'll need to run 35s on there the right way, then get ready to spend 6k plus easily :ROFLMAO:

Truthfully though, yours looks good as it sits. Put a different front and rear bumper on there maybe, as well as an Exogate. I like the color a lot!

Reactions: Jp'n Jess
Had a bad vibration over 60mph and got much worse as I increased speed. The tires/wheels already have between 2.5-4.5oz of wheel weights mounted. I decided to try some balancing beads after reading about the success other guys have had with them on other forums. I also liked the idea that they are "self balancing", meaning I won't have to balance them again in the future.I added the recommended amount of 8oz to each tire and have had NO vibrations since. $35 well spent ;)

While my small photo doesn’t show it very well our Tj’s are the same color[ mine’s an ‘02]. Must be why I like yours. It will be interesting seeing how our Tj’s evolve from the stock Jeeps that they were. We started with similar search parameters, 2 door hard top, clean body, automatic, no lift or huge tires, tight steering, $9500. But I wish mine had cruise. Test drove a couple of newer wranglers that were all over the road. When I drove mine home, while it has tight steering, I had a small entire truck vibration at 65+ but after a tire rebalance it has no problems at 70. Other than a few small items and my hard tonneau cover that I’m building, an undercoat job and total repaint I might be done. I’ve got no interest with lifts, bigger tires or off roading, at least for now. Here’s a carlot photo of Ripley.08CC0298-6E38-4543-9863-7A00C53CBA2C.jpeg

Last edited:
While my small photo doesn’t show it very well our Tj’s are the same color[ mine’s an ‘02]. Must be why I like yours. It will be interesting seeing how our Tj’s evolve from the stock Jeeps that they were. We started with similar search parameters, 2 door hard top, clean body, automatic, no lift or huge tires, tight steering, $9500. But I wish mine had cruise. Test drove a couple of newer wranglers that were all over the road. When I drove mine home, while it has tight steering, I had a small entire truck vibration at 65+ but after a tire rebalance it has no problems at 70. Other than a few small items and my hard tonneau cover that I’m building, an undercoat job and total repaint I might be done. I’ve got no interest with lifts, bigger tires or off roading, at least for now. Here’s a carlot photo of Ripley.
101277-36232e13efc28f0c112f3b91d18fb729.jpg

I don't see many in this color. I wasn't particular on the color when I was looking but I'm glad I ended up with this color combination.

I like that half-cab you have! Those are cool. Wish I had one. I don't use the backseat in mine anyways.

You colour (color 🇺🇸 😁 ) is Steel Blue pearl...I think they ran it for only 2 years 2001-2002. Mine is close but lighter called Gunmetal pearl 1997-1999
Great stance on the set up you have there.

So I had some play in my steering. I was experiening some wobble after abou 45 mph. I went ahead and did the ZJ tie rod conversion and put in a new Rock Krawler adjustable track bar. . . No more wobble.
image.jpeg

I plan on buying a JB conversions SYE, and installing it with a drive shaft in the next month or two. Went ahead and purchased a Detroit locker for the rear. I'll install it with gears this winter. Making slow progress. . .

Reactions: lowranger
I got Ripley undercoated last week, my body guy said it looked good but he fixed a broken tailpipe hanger. Got my tonneau cut out and am finishing up the edges. I will finish it this week and paint it when I get the Tj painted next month. My DP shelf over the windshield is done.

Reactions: Jp'n Jess
Ran into my first hiccup. I pulled the new 3/8’s ring gear bolts out of the box and realized that while they fit the ring gear, they are smaller than the 7/16’s holes on the Detroit carrier. So that will have to wait for now. I ordered some 7/16 to 3/8 bolt sleeve spacers from Yukon. I guess now I’ll pull the front axle first. Won’t be a problem on the Dana 30 since I’m using the same carrier.