Another LED Headlight Post: Heated JW Speaker, Heated Trucklite, Color Temperature, and Vendors

yahmanz

INTRO
I have read nearly every LED headlight post and comments section since 2012 for TJs (and JKs unintentionally) and there is some info I'm having a difficult time tracking down. Best price, verified vendors, and color temperature of the lights.

This post is also a writeup as a summary of the info I have gathered from my many, many searches. Hopefully it saves someone else some time. I am ONLY discussing heated LED options. If I forget to write "heated" before "headlight" please understand I am referring to Heated LED headlights ONLY.

Previous Posts on LEDs are meh or outdated
First, no one has done a comparison on Heated JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J2 LED Headlights vs Heated Trucklites. Posts comparing these 2 headlights are usually from 2015-2016 and oftentimes are comparing the original Evo J1 vs Trucklite, or the J2 before it had a heated version vs Trucklite. So what you end up with is people who need heated LEDs got Trucklites and the rest of the crowd just argues about beam pattern and LED artifacts. (Also special mention to the people who clearly do not live in winter climates, claiming that their non-heated LED headlights don't freeze over. I drive on highways 25mi 1-way in blizzard conditions to and from work 1-2 times a week early morning and late night in the dark with 2 to 7 inches of snow/slush on the road for 3 months now. I'm going through like 25% of my wiper fluid on my way to work from my windshield freezing over constantly, so I am pretty sure without heated LEDs I won't be able to see jack-crap. Yes, I need a new heater core). This post below is a good example of the reason for heated LEDs - pretty accurate post considering this is my work commute.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/heated-led-headlights.2355151/

Heated LED Options
Because I need heated LEDs, I have 3 decent options. Heated JW Evo J2 LEDs, Heated Trucklite, or Heated Quadratec LEDs aka JW Speaker Chinese Knockoffs. The cheap knockoffs of every brand imaginable are seemingly never made in heated versions. So I started looking around at prices for these 3 lights. The price of Heated Trucklites changes on the Quadratec website fairly often. For example, this post - Heated Trucklite LEDs $350 for a pair. Lucky find.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/heated-trucklite-set-for-349-99.50861/

Heated LED Headlight Prices
I have seen heated Trucklites on the Quadratec website 3 or 4 times since December 2021 and they have increased in price every time. Current cost is $1120 for a pair. Originally in December they were cheaper than anything on this list... maybe around $250 each light, $500 for a pair, but they were out of stock.

Currently Heated JW Evo J2 LEDs are $885 for a set of 2, but out of stock at Quadratec.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/jw-spea...burn-7-led-headlight-heated-lens-jeep-cj-jeep
Currently Heated JW Evo J2 LEDs are $442.xx for 1 headlight AKA $885 for a pair from JW Speaker.
https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8700-evo-2-db/
Currently Heated Quadratec JW Evo J2 knockoffs are $650 for a set of 2, in stock at Quadratec.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...dlamps-jeep-cj-wrangler-tj/without-fog-lights
Currently Heated Trucklite LEDs are $1120 for a set of 2, but out of stock at Quadratec. 27275C
https://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_8004.htm
Currently Heated Trucklite LEDs are $339 for 1 headlight AKA $680 for a pair from DriveTrain America. 27275C
https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/t...-led-heated-headlight-jeep-wrangler-cj-tj-jk/
Currently Heated Trucklite LEDs are $665 for a pair from Rigid Industries, vendor is Northridge4x4. 55005
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...uSXUFAynWzqYThult1sEyntV2Rd1IfPRoCB-cQAvD_BwE

Part Numbers and Manufacturers
When you're looking at Trucklites, 27275C is the heated version made by Trucklite in the USA, whereas 27270C is the unheated version USA.
Rigid Industries seems to also have their own Trucklite deal going on. Their heated version is 55005 and their unheated version is 55000. I do not know what the difference is between 27275C vs 55005 other than 27275C is made by Trucklite and 55005 seems to be manufactured by Rigid Industries. They seem identical otherwise. That being said, I am skeptical of the quality of the 55005 Rigid Industries Trucklite and whether or not it is in fact made in the USA. It says so on their website, however, as an example, Quadratec's Heated JW Speaker Knockoffs say they are made in the USA on the Quadratec website, but upon calling Quadratec you find that they are actually made on the other side of the world. The post below has some details in that USA manufacturing dispute, but I did not call Quadratec myself.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threa...k-lite-vs-quadratec-jws.2414807/post-35141107
So now I'm hesitant to trust where a product is made based on what the website says... especially when its a duplicate of an original model made by a new company and the description of the product is word-for-word copy pasted everywhere you look. Additionally, I don't want to pay $650 for Quadratec's Heated JW Speaker Knockoffs made in China, if I could buy a pair of USA made Heated Trucklites from DriveTrain America for $680.

So Which Heated LED Headlight is Better?
Great question. Short answer —-> IDK.

Long answer: The overall "vibe" or "feeling" I have after reading all those opinions, watching youtube video comparisons, etc., about which one is better FOR ME comes out as Trucklite. Why specifically? Supposedly the light is more like a flood light and evenly distributed. Also they supposedly illuminate further in distance. The JW Speaker LEDs supposedly have harder edges and the area which is illuminated is brighter. I'd rather not be limited peripherally (so Trucklite win) and I think there's less risk of glare on wet surfaces or reflective surfaces (JW loss b.c is too bright a thing?). There's a post somewhere which links to a deeper analysis of LED headlights on a different website which mostly discusses why you shouldn't stick LED bulbs into incandescent housings, but near the end shifts to discussing the good and bad of LED bulbs inside housings made specifically for LEDs.
Found it:
https://jalopnik.com/why-most-led-headlight-upgrades-dont-really-work-an-ex-1843070472
I kinda selectively skimmed that article b.c some of the stuff it talks about is more marketing ploys than actual "science" data. If I really wanted to learn what was best, I'd go relearn physics and wavelengths and photons and refraction through various media - not read some poorly explained and vaguely confusing webpage about how your eyes don't see light right. (Certainly counterintuitive... not saying its wrong or right tho, cus idk).
Anyway, the article did mention something which is worth a thought; if a headlight is too bright, does it lead to constriction of your pupils and thus decrease your ability to see? Maybe, idk, but seems plausible. Some headlights, apparently glare too much on wet surfaces b.c they are too bright/too many light angles. Is JW Speaker guilty of that? Probably not, but it seems more likely that they would do that than Trucklites. So I guess I'm saying JW LEDs are brighter, and to some folks that might mean better. Your call.

JW Evo J2 LEDs have more lumen output than Trucklites both at low beam and high beam. Most of the (outdated) posts on this forum say:
JW has better low beams, but Trucklites have better high beams, and if you need heated then go with Trucklite. That analysis was done before the Heated JW Evo J2s were released. Now that the JW Evo J2s turn on both low and high beams when you turn on their high beam function, the JW Evo J2s should be brighter high beams than Trucklites.

Of the small amount of feedback the Heated Quadratec JW Speaker J2 knock offs have, it is good feedback in this forum, however there aren't any quality comparisons, to my knowledge. Again, between Trucklites made in America and Chinese knockoffs, for the same price, what do you think has the better value? (Rhetorical question, the answer is obvious). However, amazon/third party knockoffs of the NONHEATED versions of Trucklites and JW speakers have had lots of issues when aiming the headlights. Apparently when you try to adjust them the light face/lens is angled awkwardly b.c of the drastically off target light production. That is all I will say about nonheated, there's plenty of info on those, I do not want to start a discussion on nonheated LEDs.

Each of these lights has a different look. I like the Trucklite look a little better, but I still like the look of the JW J2, so if I felt like getting the JW, I'd still be happy. I'm not as into the Quadratec JW Knockoff look, but again, it is still likeable.

Color Temperature
I've read conflicting answers here. Both JW and Trucklite are in the 5000-6000K range, but some people say one looks more blue than the other and vice versa. I haven't seen a picture of either of them looking blue, but I haven't seen them in real life. If one definitively looked more blue than the other, or if one was obviously warmer than the other, I'd choose the least blue option or the warmest option regardless of pretty much any comparison above - including the $200+ dollar difference in price between the Heated JW J2s and Heated Trucklites. Ultimately b.c I can't find convincing evidence in this area, I'm gonna just leave it at idk.

Conclusion
Between Heated Trucklite LED and Heated JW Evo J2 LED it seems like you can't go wrong. Trucklites, although they have not been updated technologically in the last decade, they have received widespread appreciation from many people, including senior members of this forum - the names you trust (Like Chris, Blaine, JMT, etc.)(Disclaimer: I don't remember which of those guys likes which light, I have read their opinions change over time so not sure where they stand currently). I've also seen good reviews for JW Evo J2s from some of those same familiar names.

The JW Evo J2 crowd reminds me of the metalcloak crowd around here - usually gets defensive at the first sign of "attack" but certainly seems like an excellent option with hardly any bad reviews. The Trucklite crowd reminds me of the Currie/savvy crowd around here - usually has no reason to "defend" itself, and has well established roots within this community. So basically I think b.c I do not want to order and return lights and reinstall and fiddle, the safer option for my time and money is to buy the Heated Trucklite.

Let me know if anyone has any good info or differing views. Again, I do not claim that this material is all correct or that my opinion is even remotely that of an expert. This is just a summary of my search for Heated LED headlights over the last 3 months. Still not pulling the trigger on them for a few weeks cus I have other stuff going on.

Not LED but I’ve been happy with my KC H4 lights with the KSuspension direct wiring harness ~$175 for everything

https://www.kchilites.com/7-headlig...JCKrXzUT68y7vPN4lCKMtuCsQHA7GtThoCIZ0QAvD_BwE
https://www.ksuspensionfab.com/store/p6/H4_Upgraded_Headlight_Harness.html#/
Thanks, hadn't even thought of that! Seems like as soon as someone brings up headlights someone else chimes in about LEDs in a completely different league. But for 25% of the cost, could certainly be worth looking into. I'm assuming b.c they're normal lights they 'naturally' heat themselves, right? Have you seen much snow with them?

It gets parked for the winter so can’t comment too much, but it’s just like other halogen headlights, they do put off more heat than LEDs

Good idea, there are definitely a lot of Jeeps around the area. Either someone knows something, or we're all driving blind!
Currently I run a set of old Warn lamps attached to my front bumper. They have high/low function but I only spliced in low when I set it up a few years back. Those are the only lights that illuminate the road enough to matter at highway speeds. I think they might be flood lights... but I haven't been flashed yet. Kinda turned em to the right a bit to act as deer spotters originally. I swear I can see the road better when a sedan with LEDs is behind me and the light is just going under my Jeep lighting the road ahead. Not ideal..

$800 heated headlights? Do you live in Iceland? :rolleyes: I'll stick with my $40 LED's.
Rubi lights 3.png

I don’t want to get too far off topic here but I feel like I can provide some helpful info. I can't add a lot of info to this discussion specifically for the 7" round light series. I have however seen a lot of praise for both JW and TL and the heated versions of each appear to be effective. I recently got a set of JW 8910 (the 10 means heated) for a YJ and man, they are a nice product. If the 8700 EVO 2 heated are anything like those, then guaranteed they are nice. You could just feel it in your hands when you pick the light up out of the box.

E9CF90C8-15CB-4D75-B0E4-613A27F1EC0D.jpeg7FBDD10C-6A0A-4859-93F7-E2027798F668.jpeg

Extremely sharp cutoff and the dual burn high beam is super powerful. You can tell that super bright hot spot on the high beam will go WAY down the road. And since they’re dual burn, you keep your low beam too which is awesome.

471CA49A-B999-4FFB-92CA-E33803D42AE9.jpeg
E9B342B3-7BAC-4D01-83F3-438EED327308.jpeg

The smart heat works pretty proactively, it was around 55 degrees F in the garage, and they kicked on for about 5 minutes. They were warm quick. I'm pretty certain they intelligently ramp up/down the heat to combat the ambient temp. As in, they do not go full hot unless they need it for de-icing. For a moderate day they will warm to where they need to be to melt the ice and then maintain whatever temp they determine they need to be to keep ice buildup away.

I would say color temp is right at 4500-5000K. I like it. Since Truck-Lites are essentially by rigid, and Rigid usually uses self advertises around 5700K, the JWs should be more white and less blue. I had some previous 6500K LEDs in that YJ with the JWs and it is a big difference between color difference. Rigid is never as dramatic as 6500K though I would say their stuff is usually more like 5900-6000K based on their fog lights and other flood lights by them I have used. That said, I love Rigid products too so I am not down-talking them either. I have seen one set of 7" TLs (heated) in person, and they were nice lights as well. But all that said, I like the color of the JW better. It is a pure white, no blue, it is nice on the eyes.

Bottom line I don't think you'll go wrong with either. Looks wise I probably like the TL better, though I really like the 5x7 JW and it sure seems to be quality. The 7" round JW is just a bit funky looking to me, so I don't like the way those look as much but their specs match the 5x7 almost identically so I feel like they should be impressive lights if you are ok with how they look.

I'd probably stay away from QT for something like top of the line aftermarket headlights. I run their tail lights, they're great and I like some of their other products but if I'm spending many hundreds on headlights, I'm going to go all the way and get the real product, not the copy.

Last edited:
That's where I need it. EVERYWHERE. :rolleyes:
You definitely don't need them shining into second story windows In a neighborhood. That looks like you're on an incline though but have you properly aimed them? If you have aimed them, that pattern looks pretty awful for anyone else on the road.