Another lift thread...

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Whoo-hoo, another lift thread!

Here's the situation: I have a 1999 TJ SE manual transmission that is bone stock. 215-75R15 BFG AT tires on Grizzly rims. About 80,000 miles on the clock. Runs like a champ, and no mechanical or electrical problems so far. I use it for transportation, not as a toy. The issues that I am running into with the stock setup are bouncing the gas tank skid plate off of stuff, bottoming out the suspension on a pretty regular basis when it's loaded and I'm up in the hills and general ground clearance getting to where I want to go. Oh, and I've lifted tires off the ground on occasion. Lifting a tire is not really a problem it seems as the Jeep still goes down the trail, but still...

I've determined that these issues can be corrected with a bit larger tires and a small lift kit / suspension upgrade to accommodate the larger tires. I'm not in a position to write a check and drive off in a totally upgraded Jeep, so this will be an ongoing upgrade project.

I am looking at three lift kits.
The JKS Jspec 2" kit that was just released a little while ago.
The DPG OME 2 1/2" Deluxe kit
The BDS 2" spring and shock kit with some additional parts like JKS front track bar and rear location bracket from OME, etc.

All in, they run about the same amount of money. What are some opinions on these kits? I'm really leaning towards the JKS Jspec as a base to build on, and I'm going to end up with other JKS suspension parts eventually anyway.

Max tire size will be 33x12.50R15 on 15x8 wheels, with an intermediate step of 31x10.50 tires on the current wheels.

I've been very happy with my OME lift so far. Originally got the Ultimate kit from DPG. If I was going to do it again, I'd just get the shocks and springs from him. Save your money on the quick disco's. You need a sway bar on the trails. If you want more suspension travel, look into an antirock. Also, I've since sold the JKS track bar and replaced it with a Metalcloak.

X2 to what @PStov98TJ said.

I also have the OME 2.5" lift (with Bilstein 5100 shocks) and absolutely LOVE it! I'm actually going to be selling it very soon though, but my ONLY reason for selling it is because I am going to a Currie 4" lift and nothing from the 2.5" lift can be re-used unfortunately.

Seriously though, you will not regret the 2.5" OME lift, it rides very, very well both on road and off-road. I am running my 2.5" OME lift with 285/75r16 tires (33") and have no clearance issues whatsoever.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
I've been very happy with my OME lift so far. Originally got the Ultimate kit from DPG. If I was going to do it again, I'd just get the shocks and springs from him. Save your money on the quick disco's. You need a sway bar on the trails. If you want more suspension travel, look into an antirock. Also, I've since sold the JKS track bar and replaced it with a Metalcloak.

Interesting. Why did you replace the JKS track bar with a Metalcloak? I looked at Metalcloak stuff and it looked good. Where you getting interference with you differential covers or other parts under the front end?

Just a slight bit. It required about ~1.25" of bumpstop in my experience. The metalcloak only needed 0.5" (that's with me being slightly conservative), and because I'm only on 2.5" of lift, I wanted that extra bit of travel. The JKS was great and probably would have been fine. I'm just very particular about how much travel I can get get out of what I have to work with currently.

Reactions: Chris
I'm just very particular about how much travel I can get get out of what I have to work with currently.

I don't blame you, I'm the same way.

I hear (and I think we had this conversation before, just can't remember) that the Metalcloak and Currie track bars are pretty much the best for minimal interference and best clearance.

Reactions: CasterTroy
X2 to what @PStov98TJ said.

I also have the OME 2.5" lift (with Bilstein 5100 shocks) and absolutely LOVE it! I'm actually going to be selling it very soon though, but my ONLY reason for selling it is because I am going to a Currie 4" lift and nothing from the 2.5" lift can be re-used unfortunately.

Seriously though, you will not regret the 2.5" OME lift, it rides very, very well both on road and off-road. I am running my 2.5" OME lift with 285/75r16 tires (33") and have no clearance issues whatsoever.

My SE is very light unloaded. Like 3,200# with a half a tank of gas. I've read that the OME spring and shock setup is really good both on and off road, but on light Jeeps like mine the lift goes over 3" and other suspension geometry issues come into play. Then there is the deal where I load it up and suddenly it's a heavy Jeep, somewhere north of 4,000#. I was kind of hoping for the impossible, and address both ends of the usage spectrum.

Just a slight bit. It required about ~1.25" of bumpstop in my experience. The metalcloak only needed 0.5" (that's with me being slightly conservative), and because I'm only on 2.5" of lift, I wanted that extra bit of travel. The JKS was great and probably would have been fine. I'm just very particular about how much travel I can get get out of what I have to work with currently.
Nice. That's exactly the kind of input I'm looking for!

My SE is very light unloaded. Like 3,200# with a half a tank of gas. I've read that the OME spring and shock setup is really good both on and off road, but on light Jeeps like mine the lift goes over 3" and other suspension geometry issues come into play. Then there is the deal where I load it up and suddenly it's a heavy Jeep, somewhere north of 4,000#. I was kind of hoping for the impossible, and address both ends of the usage spectrum.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I have an SE as well. And I'm sitting pretty at 2.5" all around. Slight rake for when it's loaded down. Get the right spring rate and you won't have an issue of being too tall or a stiff ride.

There's two versions of the OME lift. There's a standard spring and a HD spring.

I almost made the mistake of going with the standard springs, but then I started thinking about a winch, air compressors, tools, hard top, full doors, etc., and all the weight we add to our TJs. I decided on the HD springs and to be quite honest I'm happy I did.

People will say that the HD springs can be a bit more rough on road unless you're loaded up with gear. I disagree with that completely. I had my OME lift (with the HD springs) on my TJ when it was BONE STOCK and it wasn't rough at all, not even a single bit.

The HD springs--in my opinion--just keep the suspension from 'sagging' when you add lots of extra weight to the vehicle.

I don't blame you, I'm the same way.

I hear (and I think we had this conversation before, just can't remember) that the Metalcloak and Currie track bars are pretty much the best for minimal interference and best clearance.
That's my understanding from research as well. Other front track bars rub and break stuff.

That's my understanding from research as well. Other front track bars rub and break stuff.

Yep, or they require so much bump stop not to rub / break stuff that it ends up being counter productive to even have.

If you call Dirk at DPG he will set you up with the correct spring rates for what you need. Tell him how you're set up, what you have on the jeep, and what you use it for. He will explain the different rates and what he recommends, even if you don't buy from him.

There's two versions of the OME lift. There's a standard spring and a HD spring.
This is a common misnomer. They technically don't sell HD and normal springs. They have springs set up for TJ's with and without hardtops, LJ's, and ZJ's that will all fit a TJ's spring pads. And they all have different rates. So there's a plethora of combinations you could pick from.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I have an SE as well. And I'm sitting pretty at 2.5" all around. Slight rake for when it's loaded down. Get the right spring rate and you won't have an issue of being too tall or a stiff ride.
Ok, what spring rates did you go with? Your Jeep sounds interesting and much like where mine is headed.

If you call Dirk at DPG he will set you up with the correct spring rates for what you need. Tell him how you're set up, what you have on the jeep, and what you use it for. He will explain the different rates and what he recommends, even if you don't buy from him.

This is a common misnomer. They technically don't sell HD and normal springs. They have springs set up for TJ's with and without hardtops, LJ's, and ZJ's that will all fit a TJ's spring pads. And they all have different rates. So there's a plethora of combinations you could pick from.

Really? When you buy it from third party distributors they simply sell it as the OME 2.5" kit and the OME 2.5" HD kit. In fact, that's what the guy I bought my stuff from was telling me as well I believe. Learn something new every day I guess!

I think we have too. Haha but that is what I have seen in my research as well. The only reason I didn't go with a Currie is because, from my understanding, their stuff is really meant for 4" lifts. And I was worried about it adjusting short enough for my 2.5" lift.

I think we have too. Haha but that is what I have seen in my research as well. The only reason I didn't go with a Currie is because, from my understanding, their stuff is really meant for 4" lifts. And I was worried about it adjusting short enough for my 2.5" lift.

Yep! I've actually heard that most track bars in general aren't really much good (at clearing things I mean) with under 4" of lift. Sounds like you've found the Metalcloak to be good for clearance at 2.5" though?

Ok, what spring rates did you go with? Your Jeep sounds interesting and much like where mine is headed.
Now that's the trick! Remembering the actual part numbers. I'll look them up and get back to you in just a second. Don't want to give you the wrong info.

Yep! I've actually heard that most track bars in general aren't really much good (at clearing things I mean) with under 4" of lift. Sounds like you've found the Metalcloak to be good for clearance at 2.5" though?
I'm very happy with it. The heim joint on the frame side allows for it to have more clearance. I know the reasoning behind using it is debatable, but for my uses, I'm happy with it. Main thing you have to keep in mind is that every upgrade is really a compromise in one way or another.

Main thing you have to keep in mind is that every upgrade is really a compromise in one way or another.

Agreed. I'm currently struggling with this as well. I have the 2.5" OME kit and I REALLY like it. However, I need to do a tummy tuck, and in order to do so I am going to need adjustable control arms. The Currie arms I want are around $1250 so this got me thinking, why not just go to a complete Currie suspension for around $2400? That comes with the control arms, 4" springs, track bars, bump stops, etc.

But then I start thinking about it... If I go with the 4" Currie kit the only thing I am really getting that I don't already have is the control arms and an extra 1.5" of lift. Is that extra lift even going to be worth it in the end? I mean what will I gain from it aside from a bit more clearance for the tires?

I'm in this dilemma as we speak where I'm trying to decide between keeping my 2.5" OME setup and adding 1.25" of body lift (as well as the tummy tuck), and adjustable control arms, or just selling the setup and going full blown Currie 4" lift. It's really frustrating.

I've heard that calling Dirk at DPG is like climbing the mountain to talk to the guru of suspension. Except that you can understand Dirk.

People really seem to like him, I think you're right!