Another Newb Seeking Advice for a TJ

I'd be very adamant about getting photos of the frame. That is the most important thing to look at when buying a used TJ.

Reactions: SteamRollin
Hey folks sorry it's been a while, been working a ton of overtime for the funds to buy a TJ. I had a chance to check out Alpha, the owner was really cool and has had 13 different Jeeps in his lifetime. He's built some pretty serious rock climbers before and showed me pictures of them, the last one he built was a JK that had $35k in add-ons that he all does himself. Cool thing was he offered his help by giving me advice if I was looking at other Jeeps. Alpha has Dana 30/35 (F/R) I believe that's what he said at least. He's planning on building another serious TJ but he mentioned he wasn't using Alpha for it. Said it wasn't right to take a low mileage '97 and chop it all up, which I quickly took into consideration and suddenly felt the same way. I walked away from it feeling that for the price it wasn't a bad deal, but I felt like I could find a better deal on one especially with his assistance. That was a week and a half ago and Alpha is still for sale, haha. I must not be the only one who felt that way.

What I also took from Alpha's owner was that from his wisdom and experiences is that I would be better off finding something with higher mileage and was in good condition to justify the lower price in order to spend more on upgrades than on the initial purchase. I thought I learned this lesson once already, oh well. So, I guess I'm looking for good condition and under 200k miles and reasonably priced.

One bit of advice that I was given by Alpha's owner was to look out for head leaks on higher mileage TJs. Can someone help me identify what to look for? Thank you.

Also, anyone know what limitations there are with a rebuilt title? Does it affect insurance? I'm considering all options...

Last edited:
Next one
Code Name - “DELTA”

2001 Sport A/T (82k miles) - $9,800

DEL1.jpg
DEL2.jpg
DEL3.jpg
DEL4.jpg
DEL5.jpg
DEL6.jpg
DEL7.jpg
DEL8.jpg
DEL9.jpg
DEL10.jpg

***owner’s notes***

OVER $10,000 IN UP GRADES NEW ALL 5 RIMS AND TIRES WINCH AC. CLEAN AND CLEAR TX TITLE. READY FOR OFF ROAD OR ROCK CRAWLING. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. 6 CYLINDERS IN LINE.

I think I'm in love...

Reactions: JMT
No question. That Jeep will sell fast .if the paint is factory and no rust, write a check and join the fun.

Be sure it drives solid.

No question. That Jeep will sell fast .if the paint is factory and no rust, write a check and join the fun.

Be sure it drives solid.
I'm going to ask them a few questions before I drive 45 minutes out.
Type of lift?
Is that the only top?
Floor condition?
Rust on frame?
Head Leaks?
How many owners?
Oh, and size tires?

Leaks and frame rust are the only no deals, I'm just curious about the others.
I'd probably rock it the way it is for right now as long as its not some weak sauce lift. But I'm definitely digging it, its even in the color I wanted since a kid.
***Fingers Crossed***

So Delta only has a bikini top, can I get away with just throwing a tarp over it with this Texas humidity and heat? The owner doesn’t know much about it, he says he bought it from his boss. Hard to understand him but I think he said his boss had it for 6 years. I think. I’m not sure how you would own a Jeep for 6 years and not be familiar enough with it to tell me size tires that is on it... we’ll find out in a few hours.

Last edited:
So Delta only has a bikini top, can I get away with just throwing a tarp over it with this Texas humidity and heat?

I'd say you're fine with that as a temporary solution, but get at least a soft top for it as quick as you can.

The owner doesn’t know much about it, he says he bought it from his boss.

That's a red flag for me, enforced by the fact that he's had it for six years and can't tell you much about it.

Above all, get it inspected before you buy it.

If the seller won't let you get it inspected, PASS.

Once you sign your name on the title, you're on the hook for repairs, not the seller. I'm amazed how many people don't bother to get a vehicle inspected before they buy it and then sing the blues when they're stuck with thousands of dollars of repair bills as if we should feel sympathetic for them. This TJ is 17 years old. Don't buy someone else's headache because you decided not to spend the time or money to have a trained eye inspect it.

For the record, I'm fairly certain those are 33" tires.

Last edited:
I would definitely pay for a pre-purchase inspection before buying. Get a mechanic of your choice to check it out, most places will just charge you an hour of shop time and it’s well worth it to uncover any potential issues.

“Delta” is probably my favorite out of those listed. I would get one with a rear 44 though helps out a ton long term, and it’s normally not a lot more costly than a Jeep with a rear 35, a lot of guys with 35 end up swapping it out.

Bravo looks like a bit of a project and even things like no rear spare would cost you like 2-300 if you eventually want one.

<shameless plug> my Jeep is for sale too in CA if you’re open to looking outside Texas. CA is beautiful this time of year ;)

Last edited:
I believe 2001 is the year they switched to distributorless ignition, so that's a benefit IMO. Looks to have a small body lift too.

yeah I don't understand only a bikini top for 6 year, unless it was garaged on only used in fair weather. Also you can't own one of these for 6 years and not know much about it???
I think his boss had it for 6 years and kept it in a garage. The current owner has just been throwing a tarp over it he said.

Next one
Code Name - “DELTA”

2001 Sport A/T (82k miles) - $9,800

View attachment 53003 View attachment 53004 View attachment 53005 View attachment 53006 View attachment 53007 View attachment 53008 View attachment 53009 View attachment 53010 View attachment 53011 View attachment 53012

***owner’s notes***

OVER $10,000 IN UP GRADES NEW ALL 5 RIMS AND TIRES WINCH AC. CLEAN AND CLEAR TX TITLE. READY FOR OFF ROAD OR ROCK CRAWLING. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. 6 CYLINDERS IN LINE.

I think I'm in love...

If the frame is as clean as the rest of it, that's a good buy!

Frame is my biggest concern, I’m going to just bring a mechanic with me and look over it, he won’t know all the specifics of the vehicle but he’s worked on the many of vehicles before. We won’t steer me wrong, he’s an old friend of mine.

I’m gonna shoot for between $9000-9500, I need a soft top for it and the door handles and mirrors look dated.

Last edited:
He’s said the engine doesn’t leak and no rust on the frame... they’ve all said that. My guess is his boss had it for 6 years and kept it in a garage. Whether he put the new toys on it when he got it or not, that’s not $10k worth from what I’m seeing. $2k for the tires, wheels & winch, but that lift and those lights don’t look worth $8k. I’d almost say he might of had it painted and replaced the plastics on it.
None the less, I’m on it ASAP. Alpha’s owner even said it was a good looking Jeep.
Can I throw a nice Currie lift on it and take a seat at the “Ride of The Month”??? Lol

Reactions: JMT and Chris