Another Rancho RS5000X "issues" thread

I had an internal debate whether to get black max or ranchos. I chose ranchos because they are reported to be the firmer of the two, I don't want too "loose " of a ride.

I had an internal debate whether to get black max or ranchos. I chose ranchos because they are reported to be the firmer of the two, I don't want too "loose " of a ride.

I bought some blackmax but same, waffling over what to do.

Mine seem to work just fine when driving, I would never have known anything except unbolting the bottom end to replace springs. The only issue is I'd like to balance my travel bias a little better, as I'm at 3.7" down. So I'm still debating blackmax vs rancho with BPE.

Some updated info: I ordered the ranchos from amazon through a third party (TrendsAuto which I believe is a major midwest distributor). I kept the the two front shocks and decided to return the rears, to confirm that they were bad I called Rancho and after explaining how the shocks behaved "on the bench" they agreed that I should return them. The guy I spoke with said that since I purchased from Amazon through a third party that he would Email me (while I was still on the phone) a return form as Amazon would just keep routing me back to them(Rancho). I filled out the form and received an Email from Trend Auto containing a link to a message from them on my Amazon account. Maybe I missed something but I could not see any notification on my Amazon account itself and HAD to use the link.

Anyway, Trend Auto got back with me promptly and after a couple Email links to Amazon they informed me that they were sending a new pair of shocks and attached was a FedEx shipping label. Fortunately there is a FedEx location that is very convenient to me. The shocks were at my house in two or three days (WI to MI) and I bench tested the new shocks Saturday: one shock fail, one shock good(as near as I could determine). Monday morning(today), back to Email to Amazon link to reply back to Trend Auto that one of the two is bad, got a response within two or three hours; " we're sending another shock and attaching a shipping label", I printed the label and off to FedEX.......

In my reply this morning I asked Trend Auto if, in the interest of ending the back and forth, if they would be able to inspect the shock before shipment, their response was that " our warehouse personnel aren't mechanics and aren't trained to test shocks nor are they allowed to open boxes. Hopefully I get a good one.....

I'm glad that I'm not in any hurry to get this done as I don't DD my TJ or drive it in the winter(salted roads) otherwise I'd be pretty pissed. Trend Auto has been pretty good with a very quick turn around and Rancho explained that they have no control how long their shocks sit horizontal in a distributors warehouse, which is supposedly what caused my bad shocks. Who knows? You certainly do get what you pay for.

Edit: it may seem trivial but the whole process of the emails and links was a pain in the ass. If I had to do it over again I think I might have shopped local and ordered the shocks from an auto parts store in town.

I got the Ranchos when I did my lift, based on the recommendations here. I regret that decision. They were good for the first couple hundred miles, then quickly deteriorated. With nothing other than a gravel road and pavement, it feels like both rears, and at least one of the fronts is blown. In a month.

Very, very disappointed with them. I also got them from Amazon, but have no desire to exchange them for new ones. Should have trusted my gut, girded my wallet, and gone with Fox 2.0s.

I got the Ranchos when I did my lift, based on the recommendations here. I regret that decision. They were good for the first couple hundred miles, then quickly deteriorated. With nothing other than a gravel road and pavement, it feels like both rears, and at least one of the fronts is blown. In a month.

Very, very disappointed with them. I also got them from Amazon, but have no desire to exchange them for new ones. Should have trusted my gut, girded my wallet, and gone with Fox 2.0s.

I’ll see how long these last but whenever the time comes I’ll most likely be looking at Fox too.

Reactions: '05Train
I've had a bunch of shocks on my Jeeps over the years:

1990 XJ: Ranchos, Monroe, and eventually Old Man Emu
2000 XJ #1: Rough country (sucked)
2000 XJ #2: Stock JK Rubi shocks (rode like a bus), Old Man Emu, Bilstein

Current '98 TJ: Bought with Bilstein, which handled well but seemed to feel every crack in the road. I installed Fox shocks and haven't looked back. They are pricey, but I smile every time I hit a pot hole.

Should have trusted my gut, girded my wallet, and gone with Fox 2.0s.

I’ll see how long these last but whenever the time comes I’ll most likely be looking at Fox too.

are you guys referring to doing an outboard with tuned Fox? I haven't read anything encouraging about off-the-shelf bolt-on Fox's riding any better than anything else.

I bought some blackmax but same, waffling over what to do.

Mine seem to work just fine when driving, I would never have known anything except unbolting the bottom end to replace springs. The only issue is I'd like to balance my travel bias a little better, as I'm at 3.7" down. So I'm still debating blackmax vs rancho with BPE.

the waffling may be over. I've been chasing a squeak in my rear suspension, thought it was my exhaust making contact with the shock body but I took care of that and the squeak persists. I just jumped up and down on the bumper and can reproduce it, distinctly from the passenger side, which is the one that was in contact with the exhaust and also the one that doesn't extend on it's own. Since I already have BlackMax's in the floor of my office I suppose putting those on is my next move.

they seem to be popular in Toyota circles as well, which I don't fully understand because a 4th gen 4runner isn't that much heavier than an LJ, and a 5th gen is within the realm of a lot of more armored TJs and LJs. Maybe Toyota drivers just don't know any better.

I will say our 5th gen, with a curb weight around 4600lb, rolls and dives like a 30 year old Buick compared to my LJ on Ranchos. It's disgusting but I've been putting off upgrading it due to not being able to decide what to get.

I have Bilsteins on my 4th gen 4runner and think they ride quite smooth. I also have Bilsteins on my LJ and think they ride quite...not so smooth.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
are you guys referring to doing an outboard with tuned Fox? I haven't read anything encouraging about off-the-shelf bolt-on Fox's riding any better than anything else.
Not me. The regular 2.0s are plenty for my needs. I'll eventually move the rear spring perches to improve the angle of the spring, but the shocks are staying put.

I've been in TJs with them, and I have them on my Colorado. Fox makes a great shock. Serves me right trying to save a buck.

Reactions: matkal
Not me. The regular 2.0s are plenty for my needs. I'll eventually move the rear spring perches to improve the angle of the spring, but the shocks are staying put.

I've been in TJs with them, and I have them on my Colorado. Fox makes a great shock. Serves me right trying to save a buck.

when you say "regular" are you referring to the Performance Series IFP?

If so, I assume they're tuned differently depending on the retailer, right? Whose were on the TJ you rode in?

I think even without an outboard I would want remote reservoirs because the IFP needs another ~1in of compressed length to get the same travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW_LJ
I had Bilstein 5100's on the JKU I had before upgrading to my LJ. I hated those shocks! Very harsh and would make my fillings rattle just driving over a speed bump. All 4 were leaking. Called Bilstein and they said that was normal. Replaced those with Fox on the JKU. I've only had Fox on the LJ. Started with the monotube. Now tuned remote reservoir.

I was thinking of getting the Rancho on my DD 04 TJ. Probably not going to now that I'm planning to give it to my son in less than a year. I have the KYB shocks on it now. They're mediocre. Though could just be that I'm not crazy about the OEM suspension on the short wheelbase.

when you say "regular" are you referring to the Performance Series IFP?

If so, I assume they're tuned differently depending on the retailer, right? Whose were on the TJ you rode in?

I think even without an outboard I would want remote reservoirs because the IFP needs another ~1in of compressed length to get the same travel.

Yep, the Performance series. Don't know where the other guy got them from. For my needs I don't need the reservoirs.

On our TJ, we went from stock to Monroe’s to now JKS J-Spec. By far I prefer the JKS shocks. The stock were… stock. Monroe’s were stiff and heavy. These JKS shocks are way better controlling that any I’ve had on Jeeps, they are quick to respond, and soak up big bumps nicely at speed.

I went with the Ranchos based on recommendations here. I think they are ok. Not great. They were cheap which is probably why they aren't great. I won't use them again. Not sure yet what I'll go with when I replace them eventually. I don't hate them...but I also don't like them very much.

the waffling may be over. I've been chasing a squeak in my rear suspension, thought it was my exhaust making contact with the shock body but I took care of that and the squeak persists. I just jumped up and down on the bumper and can reproduce it, distinctly from the passenger side, which is the one that was in contact with the exhaust and also the one that doesn't extend on it's own. Since I already have BlackMax's in the floor of my office I suppose putting those on is my next move.

I’m not planning on outboarding but you never know. I really haven’t researched Fox shocks other than a quick google search. When the time comes I’ll obsess and over analyze what I’m going to replace the ranchos with. Lol

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I've had a bunch of shocks on my Jeeps over the years:

1990 XJ: Ranchos, Monroe, and eventually Old Man Emu
2000 XJ #1: Rough country (sucked)
2000 XJ #2: Stock JK Rubi shocks (rode like a bus), Old Man Emu, Bilstein

Current '98 TJ: Bought with Bilstein, which handled well but seemed to feel every crack in the road. I installed Fox shocks and haven't looked back. They are pricey, but I smile every time I hit a pot hole.

Which Fox shocks do you have?

Very, very disappointed with them. I also got them from Amazon, but have no desire to exchange them for new ones.

I would have returned them and made the seller pay return shipping. That's why I always use Paypal. I don't have money to throw away. My wife does that for me. 🤫

On our TJ, we went from stock to Monroe’s to now JKS J-Spec. By far I prefer the JKS shocks. The stock were… stock. Monroe’s were stiff and heavy. These JKS shocks are way better controlling that any I’ve had on Jeeps, they are quick to respond, and soak up big bumps nicely at speed.

Looking on their site I can't find any shock that fits a stock 2000 TJ, which ones are you using and how high is your lift?