Another request for buying advice

jimmy.crockett

Sorry, I know there are a lot of should I buy threads, but I have another to add.

2003 with 184k miles. Asking $3500. Two spots of concern with frame rust. Thoughts?

e025a0c8b4087a088f60995ff1254cef.jpg
c8bab2ee7e6237870689c3724ed60493.jpg
4d4525395e87af3162429233749b2abe.jpg
6af87eb87fa64a7b8261b34620a8e9b6.jpg

Wow... hard pass.

What's the saying again? If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't?

Well, there's a reason that thing is $3500. Aside from those serious issues of concern with the frame, I'll bet dollars to donuts the entire inside of the frame is rotted out.

Man ....it is just awful to see what rust does to a TJ.

Kudos to the Op for getting advice.

Reactions: jimmy.crockett
Thanks, Andy. I almost didn’t post - I’m a Jeep dreamer, not yet owner and assume that his forum (and others) are fatigued on newbs like me asking the same type of questions repeatedly. All of that said, I also almost convinced myself that even if I did a full frame replacement, it’d be worth it. Now, thanks to this forum, I’m looking elsewhere.

The parts on that Jeep are worth more than $3500. Yes, the frame is beyond repair. Consider it a $8500 Jeep and get a new frame put underneath it. At $8500 with a solid frame I think most would consider it a bargain. It's not a hard pass for me for that price.

The parts on that Jeep are worth more than $3500. Yes, the frame is beyond repair. Consider it a $8500 Jeep and get a new frame put underneath it. At $8500 with a solid frame I think most would consider it a bargain. It's not a hard pass for me for that price.
I semi agree with this. Even if you do a full frame swap you may still end up with a good deal. But IMHO it’s not worth the stress and work. If the frame has rust that bad then everything else is most likely rusted to hell. Imagine fighting all the rusted seized bolts every time you had to do any repair or part replacement.

Thanks, Andy. I almost didn’t post - I’m a Jeep dreamer, not yet owner and assume that his forum (and others) are fatigued on newbs like me asking the same type of questions repeatedly. All of that said, I also almost convinced myself that even if I did a full frame replacement, it’d be worth it. Now, thanks to this forum, I’m looking elsewhere.
Just try to be patient. The right tj will come along and when you buy it, it’ll just feel right. I almost pulled the trigger on an 2003 rubicon w 73k for $11k. Frame looked good but tub floors looked like painted over rust. And it sat for a whole year. Oil was black. Who knows when it was last changed. Also I couldn’t test drive it far because it wasn’t registered since it wasn’t being used. On top of that it was black which I didn’t really want and it had a lot of chrome. In hindsight it was prob a good deal with some work to do to rehab it back. But at the time it didn’t feel right and like you, I was trying to talk myself into buying it. I’m happy with what I ended up with even though buying a rubicon off the bat might have saved me money in the end.

This is my wife and dad’s perspective.

I MIGHT be okay with dropping another $2k on top of purchase, but I don’t think I have time for a project. Also don’t want to spend time parting it out, if I find out I’m in too deep.

I appreciate this perspective, and also semi agree. Dang, it is tempting.

I still think I’ll stand down. At least then I know the outcome. #riskadverse

This is my wife and dad’s perspective.

I MIGHT be okay with dropping another $2k on top of purchase, but I don’t think I have time for a project. Also don’t want to spend time parting it out, if I find out I’m in too deep.

I appreciate this perspective, and also semi agree. Dang, it is tempting.

I still think I’ll stand down. At least then I know the outcome. #riskadverse
If you're thinking about a frame swap but don't have the time to do it yourself spend a bit of time today on the phone chasing down quotes. Best case you can get away with safeTcaps worse case you'll be swapping the whole frame. Someone here had a shop do a complete frame swap I don't recall who but I be @Chris would know.

If you're thinking about a frame swap but don't have the time to do it yourself spend a bit of time today on the phone chasing down quotes. Best case you can get away with safeTcaps worse case you'll be swapping the whole frame. Someone here had a shop do a complete frame swap I don't recall who but I be @Chris would know.

That was @jodomcfrodo who did the complete frame swap.

If I were to ever get another it would have a manual tranny. My 2005 has an auto tranny and the tcm went out, I found one in New York, (Only One I could find) It was $1275.00. Ouch! Little electrical Gremlins all along.

If I were to ever get another it would have a manual tranny. My 2005 has an auto tranny and the tcm went out, I found one in New York, (Only One I could find) It was $1275.00. Ouch! Little electrical Gremlins all along.

I hate computer/electrical issues in a vehicle!!!!! Aside from rust, electrical issues are the worst to deal with!!!!