Another Slow Going 31's Project

Minor update: removed the following this morning,
- Dash speakers
- OEM splash guards
- FJ headlight conversion kit
- Rubicon express QD sway bar end links

Spoke a little with State farm and gave them my statement, the ended up saying that it is "more than likely a total loss" based on what info we had given them, so its being trailer to the local Copart lot tomorrow.

Silver linings prevail, insurance let me switch out the hardtop for the soft top, so based on my half doors, hard top, and other misc. parts I removed, I should be able to milk about 2500 bucks, and that is gonna go into the LJ fund.

Reactions: matkal
My Mom got a call this morning while I was in class, the Jeep was officially totaled, I was expecting about 3-3.5k from state farm, they ended up valuing my Jeep at $7,252 and considering that I payed $5,600 for it and got to keep the Hardtop, I basically got to drive the jeep for free for 2 years including gas.

Also, That 7k is burning a hole in my pocket so we are going to drive down to Virginia on Friday morning to look at a LJ. (they want 13k, clean carfax)

2005 Unlimited, 4.0 with the NSG370, (Redline MTL is in the amazon cart) I wanted a stick and 4.0 with my original TJ, but the budget just wasn't there. I've seen a few photos of the underside and it looks pristine besides a small bit of rust on the torque box, however compared to my 98' it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. I'm trying to look at the jeep without the rose colored glasses, but it is basically my dream Jeep, I was born in 05' so that's cool. I also love the look of MountaineerTom's 2006 LJ so I will probably do something very similar to that.

Total Loss Settlement.png

IMG_2650.png

IMG_2659.png

• Love
Reactions: matkal
I fail to understand. Why are they paying you a "total" of $7,200 for a $3K repair bill? This isn't the first time I've heard of nonsense like this from State Farm.

Looks nice, but have you pulled a carfax by any chance? It looks like it may be a wreck repair to me. The lack of the "Jeep" logo stickers, the "sport" decal, and the non-original flares all point toward some body work to me.

Here's the build sheet, in case you hadn't already seen it.

Clean CARFAX, no accidents reported but I do agree the lack of stickers is weird, I feel like it could have been a stylistic choice, but I’m the type to be skeptical of a good price so I’ll definitely look it over with a fine tooth comb.(I’ll probably miss something obvious)

Clean CARFAX, no accidents reported but I do agree the lack of stickers is weird, I feel like it could have been a stylistic choice, but I’m the type to be skeptical of a good price so I’ll definitely look it over with a fine tooth comb.(I’ll probably miss something obvious)

Its old enough to have been repainted. Look around the edges of the doors and tub openings,hood etc for a paint line. It isn't too hard to find old vs new paint and anything else that might signify parts swapping or modifications

Its old enough to have been repainted. Look around the edges of the doors and tub openings,hood etc for a paint line. It isn't too hard to find old vs new paint and anything else that might signify parts swapping or modifications

I Just finished looking at it, definitely not buying
- floor pans were just primed with rust poking through
- the waffled metal on the underside was chopped out (prob because it was rusty)
- fenders clearly bondo-ed and repainted poorly
- whole driver side of the tub was poorly repainted
one of the cleanest frames I've ever seen but the rest was just massive red flags

- the waffled metal on the underside was chopped out (prob because it was rusty)
one of the cleanest frames I've ever seen but the rest was just massive red flags

Sorry to hear, the search will continue.

Sorry to hear that, but it's good to hear you were able to look past the excitement and see through the shiny surface.

Ive kinda made the decision that my budget is better suited to a Sport with a stick, Dana 44 and 3.73s, I probably could find a LJ or maybe a Rubicon for about 12-13k but that is the top of my budget and I'm impatient. My dad has been nice enough to let me drive his Gladiator (which feels like a Ferrari compared to my 2.5) but I feel kinda bad stealing his truck, and want to get back in a TJ sooner rather than later.

I decided its more fun to spend money like its going out of style so I went to a semi-local dealer today. They had some pretty cool stuff and the dealer is actually a jeep guy so I didn't feel like I'm gonna get scammed. Found a LJ I liked and am buying it, its super clean body (ill get into that) some surface rust on the frame but nothing a wire wheel cant fix. here is the details,

2004 LJ, automatic
Originally silver, although it was repainted either tank or sarge green from a newer jeep. the paint is well done though, and no bondo so I'm fine with it.
floor pans have been Linex-ed, again well done and I like bed liner for interiors, I know most don't and that it can hide rust but ill take the risk on it.
Rubicon Express 3.5 inch Lift —-> will be brought down to 2.5 OME with 1.25 savvy body lift.
Falken Wildpeak AT3w 33x12.5r15, they are on ugly wheels but I will switch the tires onto my Ar767s
Bush-wacker flares —-> Will be replaced with OEM flares which I already have
Cheap smittybuilt bumper and tire carrier. —-> keep the rear for time being, the front has gotta go though
Tactik T10 Winch with Synthetic Line —-> Gonna swap with a restored Warn later down the line.
1 year old soft top (brand unknown)
Hardtop - Jeep isn't wired for it, but ill take it regardless
black soft doors and new uppers for my half doors

I has some thing that need corrected but the price is alright, and the amount of rust is minimum for NY

FBM.01.jpg

FBM.07.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg