Another Sway Bar Post

Fetch

Hey Everyone,
My TJ (have had it about 9 months) has had a common issue where the sway bar slides to the passenger side.... The previous owner obviously didn’t notice because he wore a big group in the frame.... I was so enamored by the Jeep I didn’t notice how bad it was when I bought it, and am now shitting my pants that I’m gonna snap my frame. I’ve ordered new grease a bowl bushings and I’m looking into getting new swaybar links, has anyone gotten an aftermarket swaybar that is slightly wider? In addition how would everyone address my frame issue.... I’ll include photos.

to elaborate more on the issue it would slide over to the passenger side pretty much immediately once I would drive it. it’s a 2006,But honestly the bushings didn’t look bad to me. The jeep drives amazingly smooth I can go down the highway with one finger on the wheel so I didn’t feel it needed an alignment, so I’ve been pretty stumped as to why it’s so bad.... are used a piece of hydraulic hose and some hose clamps to temporarily keep it in place.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

How tall is your suspension lift?

Are you still running the factory track bars?

How far off-center are your axles, especially the front axle?

Reactions: Tob
Hey Jerry,
Was hoping you’d jump in. I bought it with the lift. those are 31 inch tires pictured, it’s either a 2 or 3 inch lift. Factory track bar is still in place... I’ll have to get down and take some measurements on the front axle

That's the culprit. You need an adjustable front track bar, and to be fully in line, a bracket in the rear.
Stand in front (or back) and stare straight down the body line. The track bars triangulate the suspension in opposite directions. As you lift, the front goes to one side and the rear to the other, just the opposite if you lower, but who would want to do that? So w/ a 2-3" lift you are going to (visually) see your tires do not line up by about an inch and a half. Does your passenger tire rub on a hard parking lot like turn?
...And the frame scuff? Just paint it, it's not deep.

But would that do it?
It's still fixed to the frame and the axle is still whack, so mounts are still whack.

Well, it will take the sway bar out of the equation, but no, it's not going to fix the axle being out of whack. You'd still need adjustable track bars.

you need an adjustable track bar up front. i can see it in the sway links.
and that rub has removed a 3rd of the material from that scratch line, i'd have that filled, ground and repainted.

Reactions: Tob
If you want to keep the stock frame side mount with just an adjustable that bolts right in take a look at the Rough Country #7572 bar. Nice thick. Ar and with the way they place the adjustable end at the frame it is super easy to set up.

Reactions: Sancho
Hey everyone, thanks for all the help.After reading I got under there and put the pieces together it all clicked... I think I was so pigeon-holed looking at the sway bar, like “what is wrong with THIS sway bar” that I needed to back up and look at the bigger picture. Ordered a Rough Country adjustable track bar today, greasable sway bar bushings, and while I’m under there figured I might as well do the Steinjager steering kit. Told the wife we NEEDED all of it.
Had a B-Day gift card that helped.... once I get all that Installed I’ll get that groove filled and re-painted and hopefully I won’t cringe at every squeak I hear!

Uh oh, do you have a link to that Steinjager steering kit?

Edit I found it. Seriously, cancel that order asap. Crossover steering will just create steering issues on your TJ, it totally screws up its geometry. Problems like bump steer and a dead spot in the center of the steering. No matter how cool their ads make it sound, don't do it.

The very best BEEFY steering kit you can get for your TJ is Currie's Heavy Duty Steering Kit which doesn't screw up the geometry. Really. Seriously.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the help.After reading I got under there and put the pieces together it all clicked... I think I was so pigeon-holed looking at the sway bar, like “what is wrong with THIS sway bar” that I needed to back up and look at the bigger picture. Ordered a Rough Country adjustable track bar today, greasable sway bar bushings, and while I’m under there figured I might as well do the Steinjager steering kit. Told the wife we NEEDED all of it.
Had a B-Day gift card that helped.... once I get all that Installed I’ll get that groove filled and re-painted and hopefully I won’t cringe at every squeak I hear!
Bad steering! Bad steering!

CANCEL! ABORT! ABORT!
Read up on the ZJ 1 ton steering upgrade. It will be perfect for all but the heaviest abuse offroad. And is very affordable. Use the money for parts you need (and there are plenty of those). Any company that has more than 20 colors to choose from are likely putting their R&D into looking pretty, not working correctly.

• Haha
Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat