Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Another SWR problem

thekidwithquestions

Acquiring Jeep funds...
Supporting Member
So I can get my SWR on channel 1 to 1:5 but then my SWR on channel 40 is 3:0, or I can get them both around 2:5, my mount is grounded very well, I have tested it multiple times...

my setup is a Uniden Pro 510 xl with a Firestic 2' antenna, the Radio is wired directly to the battery

any thoughts? @Jerry Bransford

Dan Carey

Supporting Member
If you are using a good RG58 cable and the antenna base is grounded to the frame of the vehicle, you should get a 1.5 to 1 on channel 20. With a good meter, not the one in the radio.

OP
thekidwithquestions

thekidwithquestions

Acquiring Jeep funds...
Supporting Member
here's my stud,
4FE37F56-5741-4A81-B523-2D934525D4A6.jpeg

here's the ground to the frame for the mount and the bottom of the stud

F613F601-20F9-47BA-ABB8-79BD138D3116.jpeg

8E12D19E-9E29-4714-B005-1DBF1FA70CEE.jpeg

SSTJ

Inexperienced Overthinker
Supporting Member
Can you share a better picture of the underside of the mounting bracket? Where the coax comes in contact with the stud.

Dan Carey

Supporting Member
I use lmr240 from times microwave. As was said, the bottom of the mounting bracket should be free of paint for a good connection to your ground for the ground plane to work properly. If you are at 1.5 to 1 then thats good to go..

Akitadog

Willy's Edition
Supporting Member
24" whip is not the best, might borrow a 4' firestik from someone and see if there is a difference.
The 2' whip might be getting reflected RF from the vertical rollbar.

Last edited:

SSTJ

Supporting Member
Can't tell from the pics, but where are you testing? It can't be in a garage or driveway. Needs to be a wide open area.

SSTJ

Supporting Member
its probably 50 ft or so from our house, any further and I'll be right next to the woods

From what I understand, it can make a difference. If all else fails, you might want to try testing at another location.

I agree with what was said above, that it’s not worth worrying about too much, because as long as you and your trail buddies can hear each other, that’s all that matters.

But I enjoyed geeking out over mine until I got the SWR very low, so I get it.

JMT

The Jeep Guy
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So I can get my SWR on channel 1 to 1:5 but then my SWR on channel 40 is 3:0, or I can get them both around 2:5, my mount is grounded very well, I have tested it multiple times...

my setup is a Uniden Pro 510 xl with a Firestic 2' antenna, the Radio is wired directly to the battery

any thoughts? @Jerry Bransford
Throw your CB away. Get a GMRS.

pagrey

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
It'll work better on channel 20 but you guys might not notice the difference. People using high power causing interference will be more of an issue selecting a channel. Most people try to test listening to traffic miles away, sometimes hundreds of miles away. When you listen to a local radio nearby you'll see the small antenna works great and that's how you're really going to use the radios.

Reactions: thekidwithquestions