Another SWR problem

thekidwithquestions

Acquiring Jeep funds...
Supporting Member
So I can get my SWR on channel 1 to 1:5 but then my SWR on channel 40 is 3:0, or I can get them both around 2:5, my mount is grounded very well, I have tested it multiple times...

my setup is a Uniden Pro 510 xl with a Firestic 2' antenna, the Radio is wired directly to the battery

any thoughts? @Jerry Bransford

If you are using a good RG58 cable and the antenna base is grounded to the frame of the vehicle, you should get a 1.5 to 1 on channel 20. With a good meter, not the one in the radio.

here's my stud,
4FE37F56-5741-4A81-B523-2D934525D4A6.jpeg

here's the ground to the frame for the mount and the bottom of the stud

F613F601-20F9-47BA-ABB8-79BD138D3116.jpeg

8E12D19E-9E29-4714-B005-1DBF1FA70CEE.jpeg

Can you share a better picture of the underside of the mounting bracket? Where the coax comes in contact with the stud.

I use lmr240 from times microwave. As was said, the bottom of the mounting bracket should be free of paint for a good connection to your ground for the ground plane to work properly. If you are at 1.5 to 1 then thats good to go..

24" whip is not the best, might borrow a 4' firestik from someone and see if there is a difference.
The 2' whip might be getting reflected RF from the vertical rollbar.

Last edited:
Can't tell from the pics, but where are you testing? It can't be in a garage or driveway. Needs to be a wide open area.

its probably 50 ft or so from our house, any further and I'll be right next to the woods

From what I understand, it can make a difference. If all else fails, you might want to try testing at another location.

I agree with what was said above, that it’s not worth worrying about too much, because as long as you and your trail buddies can hear each other, that’s all that matters.

But I enjoyed geeking out over mine until I got the SWR very low, so I get it.

So I can get my SWR on channel 1 to 1:5 but then my SWR on channel 40 is 3:0, or I can get them both around 2:5, my mount is grounded very well, I have tested it multiple times...

my setup is a Uniden Pro 510 xl with a Firestic 2' antenna, the Radio is wired directly to the battery

any thoughts? @Jerry Bransford
Throw your CB away. Get a GMRS.

It'll work better on channel 20 but you guys might not notice the difference. People using high power causing interference will be more of an issue selecting a channel. Most people try to test listening to traffic miles away, sometimes hundreds of miles away. When you listen to a local radio nearby you'll see the small antenna works great and that's how you're really going to use the radios.

Reactions: thekidwithquestions