Another tired tires dilemma

HoosierRich

So I've deep cleaned most of my 06 TJR I picked up last week. Gave it a quick hand wax, swapped in some led headlights, now we are on to tires!

cleaned wheel well:

20200519_235742.jpg

before:

20200519_181150.jpg

after:

20200519_230044.jpg

Horrible puny tires!

20200521_012555.jpg

I've always been a BFG guy on previous Tj and YJ, but since this Jeep isn't a DD I was looking at the GY MTR, but pricey!

Then my Facebook feed alerted me to Goodyear 20% off with promo code: Nascar20 so the MTR's are now cheaper than the BFG KM2 I was leaning towards.

Until I get coin for a suspension lift, I planned on 265/76/r16 MTR's on factory Moabs with 2" BB...Anyone else run this combo and want to have advice? Thoughts on stuffing a 285/75 with only BB? Thanks

I take it you mostly use it for off-roading then, yes?

If not, why use a M/T tire? An A/T tire would be a far better choice, and both the KO2 and Duratrac are tires I've run in just about every terrain possible, and really, really love them.

265s will fit just fine with a 2" lift.

A 285? Not so much. They'll fit, but you'll lose a lot of up-travel, which will suck both on-road and off-road.

So I've deep cleaned most of my 06 TJR I picked up last week. Gave it a quick hand wax, swapped in some led headlights, now we are on to tires!
cleaned wheel well:
View attachment 165102
before:
View attachment 165100
after:
View attachment 165099
Horrible puny tires!
View attachment 165101
I've always been a BFG guy on previous Tj and YJ, but since this Jeep isn't a DD I was looking at the GY MTR, but pricey!
Then my Facebook feed alerted me to Goodyear 20% off with promo code: Nascar20 so the MTR's are now cheaper than the BFG KM2 I was leaning towards.
Until I get coin for a suspension lift, I planned on 265/76/r16 MTR's on factory Moabs with 2" BB...Anyone else run this combo and want to have advice? Thoughts on stuffing a 285/75 with only BB? Thanks

BFG just announced a rebate for June / July. Up to $150 off any pattern. Should be some finance offers too, same as cash deals etc. Waiting for details but they sent the dealer letter this morning if you are considering KM3's. Anything I can do to help you not buy Goodyears.

I ran 2 sets of KO2’s on my silverado. 285/75-16 and 305/70-16’s. Both sets got over 60,000 miles out of them and did really well off-road, except mud, which was expected. I was surprised to get that many miles out them on a heavy truck. I would expect they might get more mileage on the lighter TJ’s.

I‘ve never ran MTR’s on anything.

BFG just announced a rebate for June / July. Up to $150 off any pattern. Should be some finance offers too, same as cash deals etc. Waiting for details but they sent the dealer letter this morning if you are considering KM3's. Anything I can do to help you not buy Goodyears.
Are you anti Goodyear in general, or specifically the MTR?

I have ran the old school MT/R’s and they were horrible to balance, worse than the BFG’s I’ve ran. Not sure about the new ones but they sure are proud of them, always have been.

I take it you mostly use it for off-roading then, yes?

If not, why use a M/T tire? An A/T tire would be a far better choice, and both the KO2 and Duratrac are tires I've run in just about every terrain possible, and really, really love them.

265s will fit just fine with a 2" lift.

A 285? Not so much. They'll fit, but you'll lose a lot of up-travel, which will suck both on-road and off-road.

Honestly, I won't be driving the Jeep a ton as its not my daily driver. I will probably put less than 2000 mi a year on it and that will be trails and road, but because it's just toy it doesn't need to be "practical". I also love the aggressive look of a mud.

Are you anti Goodyear in general, or specifically the MTR?

Goodyear in general. I have some strong opinions, but they are all based on my time in the industry and my experiences. I feel the same way about Bridgestone / Firestone.

Goodyear in general. I have some strong opinions, but they are all based on my time in the industry and my experiences. I feel the same way about Bridgestone / Firestone.

Well I have not seen that BFG rebate anywhere, but will definitely hold off for a week to see if it is honored here in Indy. Thanks for the heads up.

Well I have not seen that BFG rebate anywhere, but will definitely hold off for a week to see if it is honored here in Indy. Thanks for the heads up.

It will be available nationally at independent dealers June 27 - July 6th. Rebate amount $40-$150 based on purchase price. Literally just announced to dealers today. You should see some advertising soon. I will post a link here once its live on the BFG site. Applies to all tread pattern Michelin and BFG including UTV tires. I was told there will be an optional credit card offer with 0% for 12 months as well, but no details on that yet so I cannot confirm.

You can search for BFG dealers in Indy on the BFG dealer locator. Any of those dealers should be familiar with the rebates.

Are you planning to keep the 16" wheel?

I run 265/75R16's on my 06 TJR. I am running the 2 1/2" OME springs (light) and Rancho 5000x 0-2" shocks. It came with the OME nitro Sport shocks on it (with the springs) and after reading so many posts about the 5000x shocks that I went and got them. Wouldn't do that shock swap again. The Ranchos are a bit better on the pavement, but not enough that I would do it again. If you find a deal with OME springs with shocks I'd get it. Either shock would be fine. As long as you keep it to trails and no rock piles you should be ok until you get a lift.

Go through and change out all your fluids. Including flushing the brake lines and swapping out power steering fluid too. Get underneath and check out the body mounts and inside the frame for any rust. Deal with all rust immediately. That is the TJ weak point. Be prepared to replace control arms and tie rod ends. If you need to put parts into the steering system then just upgrade to a ZJ steering upgrade. When you are confident that all systems are in good shape, then just enjoy your summer wheeling with it. Keep a note pad with you and keep track of any repairs needed. Then worry about fancy rims and disco balls.

I’m a fan of the General ATXs. I had the origin KO on my previous Jeep and wanted to try something different. They performed quite well at Rausch creek over the summer and are quite on the street. The tread pattern is very similar to the ko2s. I think they are offering a $100 gift card.

Last edited:
Reactions: pagrey
I run 265/75R16's on my 06 TJR. I am running the 2 1/2" OME springs (light) and Rancho 5000x 0-2" shocks. It came with the OME nitro Sport shocks on it (with the springs) and after reading so many posts about the 5000x shocks that I went and got them. Wouldn't do that shock swap again. The Ranchos are a bit better on the pavement, but not enough that I would do it again. If you find a deal with OME springs with shocks I'd get it. Either shock would be fine. As long as you keep it to trails and no rock piles you should be ok until you get a lift.

Go through and change out all your fluids. Including flushing the brake lines and swapping out power steering fluid too. Get underneath and check out the body mounts and inside the frame for any rust. Deal with all rust immediately. That is the TJ weak point. Be prepared to replace control arms and tie rod ends. If you need to put parts into the steering system then just upgrade to a ZJ steering upgrade. When you are confident that all systems are in good shape, then just enjoy your summer wheeling with it. Keep a note pad with you and keep track of any repairs needed. Then worry about fancy rims and disco balls.
Great feedback! OME is definitely top of wish list.
As far as rust goes, this thing is clean and rust free. Spent 95%of its life in Florida with only 34k miles.

How level does your Jeep sit with the light ome springs?

I have a winch (synthetic rope) and a 50-ish pound bumper up front and a 80-ish pound one on back. Before the winch it was about perfect level👍. After the winch about 1/2"-3/4" lower in front.🧐 Unless you just sit on a lawn chair staring at the Jeep you wouldn't notice. And with very few level spots at my house it's always leaning some way.