Another wheel adapter question

Toneloc313131

Supporting Member
I currently have 15x10 with 33” tires. 3.75 backspace -43 offset.

I plan on 17” beadlocks with 35s. Most of the wheels I like do not fit my bolt pattern. Been trying to figure out backpacking and offset. I guess I’m not the smartest guy cause I can’t figure it out.

With my current setup. With the wheels I want I most definite will need wheel adapters. Here is a pic of the wheels I’d like to get. Which wheel / adapters will get me close to what I’m running now.
3.75 backspace
-43mm

Also recommendations on a reputable wheel adapter company
Thanks. Also take it easy on me. I’m still a newbie 🤷🏻

B051557A-A381-42B2-B318-E52C0111AD12.jpeg

The 3.5 backspacing isn't gonna work. The 4.5 could, but you'd want an adapter that was 0.75 thick and I'm not sure where to get those as it's pushing the limits of whether you can bury a lug nut in the spacer thickness. I can't say they don't exist but I can't recall ever coming across any less than 1".

You don't want the 17x9s to have more backspacing if you're going to be running a spacer/adapter. They are going to stick out way far if you choose anywhere from 3.5-4.5, due to the 9" width and the additional width added by the adapter. Hard pass.

I will say, 17x9 with 4.75 BS would sit at the same stickout as your current 15x10 with 3.75. So, if you could get something in the 5" BS range and then add a 1-1.25" spacer, you wouldn't be too far off from where you are now. Personally I hate those characteristics. I hate the tire being way out there...I'd recommend try to find something 17x8 with around 4" BS. I know options are limited, though. 17x9 with 4.5 BS could work. Of course, a big part of the problem is that you can't find wheels you like in 5x4.5. The adapter is what's going to make everything worse.

Personally I would just find a wheel you can live with that has the TJ's 5x4.5" bolt pattern with 3.75" to 4" of backspacing so you don't have to run wheel adapters.

You might get by with a 1" adapter if you use JK wheels (5 x 127) only because most oem wheels have a void in the back for the extra stud length.
Not sure if those aftermarket wheels will allow for that.

I'm using the TJ to JK adapters in the front and went with 4.5 BS on the wheels. I think the adapters are 1.5", but I don't recall.

My front axle is TJ width, the rear is JK width, so might be different for you.

I'll just ask, because I was in the same boat as you with replacing 33s on 15x10 and going to 35s on 17s and I really wanted beadlocks. But, do you really need beadlocks?

For the longest time I thought I would be so cool having beadlocks on my Jeep. But I'm just not that hardcore, and I didn't want to get into the maintenance of them. I don't think it is particularly hard, but just another thing to upkeep. I ended up deciding I just didn't need them.

And instead of spending the extra money on beadlocks, I put that money towards a 16" big brake kit, which fits nicely inside those 17s. Not trying to talk you out of them, but from my own experience, I was into thinking I needed them more than I needed them.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'll just ask, because I was in the same boat as you with replacing 33s on 15x10 and going to 35s on 17s and I really wanted beadlocks. But, do you really need beadlocks?

For the longest time I thought I would be so cool having beadlocks on my Jeep. But I'm just not that hardcore, and I didn't want to get into the maintenance of them. I don't think it is particularly hard, but just another thing to upkeep. I ended up deciding I just didn't need them.

And instead of spending the extra money on beadlocks, I put that money towards a 16" big brake kit, which fits nicely inside those 17s. Not trying to talk you out of them, but from my own experience, I was into thinking I needed them more than I needed them.
Lol. Literally sounds like how I’m thinking now. What wheels did you end up going with

Since I didn't go with beadlocks, I settled for what I thought was a good alternative and went with Method Bead Grip rims, MR701s to be exact.

The problem is they didn't have the right backspacing, so I have a bit too much (4.75) and will probably end up with 1" some wheel spacers.

Here is my spare wheel... waiting for a tire. You can see the ridges inside the wheel where the bead sits. The intent is those provide some extra resistance to the bead slipping off. But as you can also see, it is just over 4.75" to the outer face of the inner lip.

I guess the nice thing about these rims with 1" spacers, if the lugs protrude, the rims have pockets so it won't interfere.

20230501_172604.jpg

20230501_172549.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I currently have 15x10 with 33” tires. 3.75 backspace -43 offset.

I plan on 17” beadlocks with 35s. Most of the wheels I like do not fit my bolt pattern. Been trying to figure out backpacking and offset. I guess I’m not the smartest guy cause I can’t figure it out.

With my current setup. With the wheels I want I most definite will need wheel adapters. Here is a pic of the wheels I’d like to get. Which wheel / adapters will get me close to what I’m running now.
3.75 backspace
-43mm

Also recommendations on a reputable wheel adapter company
Thanks. Also take it easy on me. I’m still a newbie 🤷🏻

View attachment 421269

You arent the same guy that wanted to put the wheel adapters on then his rotor are you?

Reactions: TheBoogieman