Antenna Cable Routing - Are Electrical Wire Bundles a Concern?

Stinkbug

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I am in the process of cleaning up a the electrical in my Jeep. That process includes yanking out my old CB. A byproduct of that allows me to move my 2m antenna from the swing away mount of the tire carrier to the TeraFlex mount on the drivers side that was previously occupied by the CB antenna.

My 2m radio lives underneath the drivers seat. I plan to run the antenna cable next to the taillight wire bundle that is inside the tub tucked under the driver side rub rail and out through the rubber grommet at the top of the rear wheel well.

I am curious if running it next to that wire bundle will significantly degrade my signal due to some sort of electrical interference.

Thoughts?

I am in the process of cleaning up a the electrical in my Jeep. That process includes yanking out my old CB. A byproduct of that allows me to move my 2m antenna from the swing away mount of the tire carrier to the TeraFlex mount on the drivers side that was previously occupied by the CB antenna.

My 2m radio lives underneath the drivers seat. I plan to run the antenna cable next to the taillight wire bundle that is inside the tub tucked under the driver side rub rail and out through the rubber grommet at the top of the rear wheel well.

I am curious if running it next to that wire bundle will significantly degrade my signal due to some sort of electrical interference.

Thoughts?

have mine run there, assuming your Coax isn't total shit - you'll be fine.

My reverse camera (not reverse light power) causes interference with my GMRS mobile unit which is mounted underneath the seat as well. Only happens when I use the backup camera, so not a huge issue, but I plan to reroute it eventually fwiw.

The power wires for the lights, radio, stereo amplifier, etc. carry only pure DC which will absolutely not interfere with the signal carried by the RG type cable used for the ham and CB radios.

• Love
Reactions: RINC and Zorba
The power wires for the lights, radio, stereo amplifier, etc. carry only pure DC which will absolutely not interfere with the signal carried by the RG type cable used for the ham and CB radios.
This is correct. The power lines for lights, radio, stereo amplifier, etc. carry direct current (DC) power which should not introduce any significant interference with the signal carried by the coaxial cable typically used for CB and ham radios. Interference may occur if the coaxial cable runs parallel to AC power lines or other wires that carry high-frequency signals, but this is unlikely to be a problem in most cases. It should be noted, however, that interference is always a possibility and should be checked for if there are any problems with radio or antenna performance.

Reactions: Zorba