Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area Western Reserve

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
I was hoping to get back to AOAA yesterday but when I sent out all my usual feelers earlier this week no one was available however serendipity intervened when a guy I met once a while ago shot me a text looking to go. Turned out to be a perfect day on many counts, first off it probably never got out of the 70s with low humidity & bright sunshine all day so it was really comfortable. Also there was a major event at nearby Rausch Creek (the annual Topless For Tatas charity event) which attracted mostly everyone so AOAA was empty, I don’t think we ran into another Jeep until the afternoon when we were on our way back to the trail head to leave, though there was no shortage of quads & dirt bikes. But maybe the best part was I made my first foray into the Western Reserve, a whole different section I hadn’t seen before. Not a lot of technical trails but incredibly scenic, kind of the perfect place to be if you’re just looking to leave civilization and spend the day in your Jeep. Got a little history/science lesson too, really looking forward to getting back to this area next time I have Kimberly with me, she can take the wheel all day & I’ll just enjoy the ride.

IMG_1272 a.jpg

This spot is called the 'scenic lookout' on the map, very cool place:

IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1294.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG

this was one great opportunity to do something stupid, the peak of this hill on the right is almost a perfect point, clearing it even with a tt would not be possible, you're going to take a chunk with you when cresting the hill then it's straight down on the other side. Just for fun I took a run at it open & got about half way up before spinning to a stop (it's incredibly steep), took a second run with lockers & got the nose of the Jeep nearly to the crest before momentum was lost & I spun to a stop. I knew from the feel of it I could easily crest it with a bit more speed on run 3 but after climbing up & really looking at he crest I thought the better of it & left it alone, several scenarios (none good) went through my head as to how it could go bad

IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG

once again had to take the mandatory tourist photo op with the giant tires

IMG_1322.JPG
IMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1295.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG

I didn't get any pictures of the Whaleback, it wasn't accessible from the trail, you have to park and walk a bit. That's on the list for next time, bring lunch & go check that thing out.

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG
IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG

Reactions: Jpodell and jazngab
Thanks for sharing these pics. I'm planning to make my second trip to AOAA in October and will have to consider the Western Reserve.

Thanks for sharing these pics. I'm planning to make my second trip to AOAA in October and will have to consider the Western Reserve.

Man this place looks cool. I need to make a trip up there in the fall

Fall is great, nice & cool and all the wet leaves covering everything make it extra special interesting :LOL:; if you guys can agree on a date I'm sure we can coordinate something, October is a tough month for me with a bunch of plans already set but I can do the 26th & pretty much any weekend in November.

Edit: Sorry I typed the 27th, meant Saturday the 26th

Maybe we could get @Camdenst @jazngab & @chino1969 to join in too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ranger101
Fall is great, nice & cool and all the wet leaves covering everything make it extra special interesting :LOL:; if you guys can agree on a date I'm sure we can coordinate something, October is a tough month for me with a bunch of plans already set but I can do the 27th & pretty much any weekend in November.

That is a possibility. I'm getting re-geared week of Sept 9th with Tru Trac LSD in rear.

I’m heading up to Rausch for a run on Aug 30, 31st (local club event) and Sept 1st. We are tossing the idea around of an AOAA run on the 1st. I’ll send an update to this thread with what we decide.

Sarkis

Fall is great, nice & cool and all the wet leaves covering everything make it extra special interesting :LOL:; if you guys can agree on a date I'm sure we can coordinate something, October is a tough month for me with a bunch of plans already set but I can do the 26th & pretty much any weekend in November.

Edit: Sorry I typed the 27th, meant Saturday the 26th

When time gets closer I should have a better idea what my availability is as well. But I’m always down if I’m free

I’m heading up to Rausch for a run on Aug 30, 31st (local club event) and Sept 1st. We are tossing the idea around of an AOAA run on the 1st. I’ll send an update to this thread with what we decide.

Sarkis

I'd likely be interested in tagging along on the 31st if permissible given it's a club event

Reactions: Sj's TJ