Anti-seize on everything

gbirk

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I seem to use a lot of anti-seize on the Jeep. Pretty much any exterior bolt that I don't put lock-tite on I have been using this 3M copper Anti-seize Brake lube on. Anybody see anything wrong with using this on non-brake parts? It seems to do a good job, and other than the copper component just seems to be a high temp anti-seize. I use it because I have it, but was wondering if I should use something different.

1575226574635.png

Reactions: Blondie70
I seem to use a lot of anti-seize on the Jeep. Pretty much any exterior bolt that I don't put lock-tite on I have been using this 3M copper Anti-seize Brake lube on. Anybody see anything wrong with using this on non-brake parts? It seems to do a good job, and other than the copper component just seems to be a high temp anti-seize. I use it because I have it, but was wondering if I should use something different.

View attachment 127330

Keep using it, not an issue with any fasteners or application.

I believe that copper anti-seize works just at well as aluminum provided that the metals it is going between are not dissimilar. For example, spark plugs or nuts and bolts where it's steel/steel is fine, but you wouldn't want to use it between an aluminum suspension link and a threaded steel rod end, as excessive corrosion would result.

I believe that copper anti-seize works just at well as aluminum provided that the metals it is going between are not dissimilar. For example, spark plugs or nuts and bolts where it's steel/steel is fine, but you wouldn't want to use it between an aluminum suspension link and a threaded steel rod end, as excessive corrosion would result.

Oh, you mean like on the mirror where the upper half has a steel shaft that attaches to the lower part that is aluminum? Dang I just did that. Well I guess I get to remove and clean that up now. Thanks though, that is exactly the type of info I wanted and why I asked.

Oh, you mean like on the mirror where the upper half has a steel shaft that attaches to the lower part that is aluminum? Dang I just did that. Well I guess I get to remove and clean that up now. Thanks though, that is exactly the type of info I wanted and why I asked.

Yeah sorry to hear that but happy to help. Here's a bit more I found that explains it better:

"The problem with Copper is that it is a high valence metal, so it will dillute a significant lesser valence metal, within time it will weaken the structure of the thread, and you will one day, pull out pieces of the thread with your plug :eek1

Its called Galvanic Corrosion

Copper should only be used on metal to metal threads like the header studs, were there is contact with aluminium steer away from copper, use alu anti seize or graphite based."

3 weeks ago I removed my AC compressor from the aluminum mount and the bolts and threads were in perfect condition after 6 years using a copper based hi-temp anti-seize so I'm not buying that there are issues. Possibly in extreme conditions

Reactions: L J and Blondie70
Amazon states that the 3M copper anti-seize prevents galvanic corrosion, but I think to be safe I am going to get some "Marine Grade" zinc based anti-seize and use that on aluminum parts.

1575228460813.png

The only reason they use zinc for marine applications is because it will be sacrificed before the aluminum in salt water. Same reason it is used for anodes.

I use it on anything and everything automotive related as long as it's a bolt where anti-seize is specified not to be used. If you follow the FSM, it will tell you which bolts should not have anti-seize applied to them. Anything else though, use that stuff liberally. It makes it easy to take things apart down the road.

I still wonder which one (zinc, aluminum, copper, or graphite based anti seize) we can use as multipurpose? Or should we use different anti seize for different applications?

Edit: as I wrote the above, white lithium grease was mentioned. Add that to the list. 😀

You used the copper or the zinc anti-seize?

3M copper. I'm still using the 3 cans I took with me when I left a toyota dealership 18 years ago..

Of course, seeing as how I'm in CA, I typically only use it on things that get really hot (exhaust fasteners/O2 sensors/spark plugs in aluminum heads) and exposed uncoated threads like tie rods....

Anti-seize has saved me more times than I can remember. Just about every bolt I touch gets coated before going back in. I’ve always used the aluminum based kind. Now that I’m removing things or changing things I did almost 5yrs ago before selling my TJ, I’ve grown to really appreciate it.

It's great stuff...I use it big time also...…….but...…...it gets on everthing !!!! All over me too. And I try to avoid it...ha ha ha

It's great stuff...I use it big time also...…….but...…...it gets on everthing !!!! All over me too. And I try to avoid it...ha ha ha

So true. I was trying to wipe some off and I think I just spread it around everywhere.

I can tell you that all fasteners got a dose of anti seize on our dairy farm. In that environment it is very necessary particularly on manure handling equipment. Most of the time used the standard aluminum, got the copper a couple of times, not sure why, never saw any of the dissimilar metal corrosion spoke about above. Not saying that is not a valid concern just never saw it happen. There was one time when we deeply regretted using never seize. And that was on the knife blades on a big New Holland chopper. It took me three days (and a big machinist bill) to rebuild that guy after one of the knife bolts came loose, used lock tight on those guys after that. Other than that one time I have used it on most fasteners for over 45 years with no regrets. Had a guy tell me I should not use it on spark plugs once. Said it affected the ground. I do not agree, but if you are worried about grounding use Thomas and Betts Ap8 anti seize compound. It is used on steel conduit and is conductive.

B

I've used nickel anti-sieze. Is my Jeep going to fall apart?!