jmitchell418

What's the general consensus on where/when to use anti seize or Lock Tite during repairs? For instance, I always install lug nuts dry, but what about on other areas like during a lift install or clutch change...is anti seize helpful in preventing future rusting of the bolts or does it serve to loosen bolts over time? On industrial applications,anti seize is used frequently but the equipment isn't bouncing down the highway or trails all day long either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good example of a part you'll always want to apply anti-seize to is the threads of your O2 sensors. It makes removing them a breeze. Loctite or other thread lockers should only be used where it is called for in the factory service manual (you can download one here if you don't have one already). That will tell you when a bolt should have Loctite on it, and what color it should be.

Anti-seize will make removing bolts in the future much. If you live in a region of the U.S. that is common for salting the roads, you'll definitely want to use anti-seize as it will help remove those bolts that would rust in place and be extremely hard to get out down the road. So anti-seize does a bit of both, it helps prevent the bolts from rusting in place and serves to loosen bolts over time.

Every new O2 sensor I've ever seen came with a dry electrically conductive antiseize already on the threads. Not all antiseize products are conductive so make sure that is what's used on O2 sensor threads if reapplying it to reinstall the sensor.

With regards to using antiseize, just make sure to not torque bolts/nuts down to the book-listed ft-lbs. settings if you have applied antiseize to the threads. The ft-lbs. must be reduced by 20% when antiseize has been applied. This is because it lubricates the threads making it easier to achieve the same clamping force on the fastener. So if the book says to tighten the nut to 100 ft-lbs., that is a "dry" specification without antiseize. With antiseize, you'd reduce that by 20% so the correct amount to torque it to for this example would be 80 ft-lbs.

For Loctite, be careful not to use it everywhere. I use it especially on bolts that spin around... ring gear bolts, u-joint bolts, pinion shaft nuts, and bolts that hold the front hubs on, etc. Blue Loctite is for bolts you know you'll have to be removing in the future. Red Loctite is for more permanent fasteners or those you absolutely don't want backing out, like differential ring gear bolts and threaded wheel studs..

Last edited:
Thanks for the guidance, Chris and Jerry. And thanks Jerry for the torque guidance as well...I had meant to ask about that in the original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
I'm probably the minority but I use very little of both...I live in the west coast and don't have rust issues so a small tube of anti seize will last years....threadlocker? The only time I use it is if the manufacturer calls for it or I'm certain using it will solve a problem

I recently removed my transmission skid plate, and found what I believe to be remains of loctite on the thread bolts. But I'm worried about rust in that area, and I plan on removing the skid again in the future to replace with an aluminum one. So, I assume I should use anti-seize on the bolts, and decrease the torque by 20%?

Reactions: JMT
I'm probably the minority but I use very little of both...I live in the west coast and don't have rust issues so a small tube of anti seize will last years....threadlocker? The only time I use it is if the manufacturer calls for it or I'm certain using it will solve a problem
Thank you!

I recently removed my transmission skid plate, and found what I believe to be remains of loctite on the thread bolts. But I'm worried about rust in that area, and I plan on removing the skid again in the future to replace with an aluminum one. So, I assume I should use anti-seize on the bolts, and decrease the torque by 20%?

Bumping this before I put it back on tomorrow!

Using anti-seize should not be a problem on the transmission skid plate bolts. I use it. Just take a peak periodically. I've never had one loose.

Reactions: SSTJ
I would install dry or with a dab of blue loctite. But we dont have to deal with rust here either.

There are some applications where i will mix grease and anti sieze...like for something that moves but not frequently, like a swing a away bearing or some dissimilar metal applications.