Anvil LJ Rubi Build

How was the install on the gas tank skid? Debating the same now that the Savvy GTS is on perpetual backorder. Any idea what Rokmen's weighs? Didnt see that on their spec sheet online.

Install was simple. Took 2.5 hours to remove the gas tank, install the new fuel pump, and install the new skid by myself. Think I read that the skid weighs 34 pounds.

No issues with fitment. Hardest part of the process was disconnecting the two items on top of the gas tank.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Picked up the front and rear bumpers from Genright. Plan to install the front bumper tomorrow and rear later in the week once painted. Also need to pull the Warn winch from my YJ and swap over to the LJ.

A22823E4-E264-4A4E-82E7-9D9795E0F646.jpeg

A692E38D-D1EA-43A7-B7C6-29A6023D24DE.jpeg

Worked on the rig the past couple nights after work. Pulled the tcase skid to gain access for the Savvy shifter install. Also removed the exhaust from the cat back. Noticed the exhaust hanger bushing and transmission mount were trashed so replaced both. The exhaust hanger bushing is only available from Mopar and isn’t cheap.

Decided this was a good opportunity to change the fluid in the 241 and nsg370. Went with Redline MT90 in the transmission and Royal Purple ATF in the tcase.

Installed the Savvy shifter this evening. Straightforward install took about an hour.

Sunday I plan to install the new cat and catback exhaust. Should have the UCF extra clearance skid on the rig Sunday too.

Genright bumpers will be installed sometime next week. Still waiting for the front RGA shafts to arrive. Waiting to install all four axle shafts and once.

A19AD921-B8F4-478E-A659-F6FDBEB601FF.jpeg

D9EDFF89-1292-42AC-B948-532DA7EAE011.jpeg

Installed the Gen Right front bumper and UCF extra clearance tcase skid. Also installed the new catalytic converter and MBRP cat back exhaust. Unfortunately the tail pipe section will not fit properly without rubbing the rear track bar so I will likely just install an exhaust turn down directly after the muffler.

This week I will install the rear Gen Right bumper, Currie steering, and 4.5” Metal Cloak coils.

C63E3E10-3002-4FA4-BC5C-496746A8DC26.jpeg

99FB955C-09F2-4A26-88DA-869242767D81.jpeg

Finished installing the Genright rear bumper this afternoon. Straightforward install requiring removal of the four rear body mount bolts and drilling four holes through the crossmember. Bumper protrudes 3/8” from the crossmember, which should help with the LJ’s departure angle.

Test fit the UCF locker compressor mount. No way this mount can be bolted to the inside of the skid plate. I will likely weld the mount to the top edge of the UCF skid.

1A582A5C-2845-44AD-B11C-BF0516AA324F.jpeg

21CE9D83-80B2-4A8D-8471-EC487EF2D5A7.jpeg

Worked on the rig a few nights this week. Installed the rear RGA axle shafts first. Splines on the stocks shafts were twisted and due for replacement.

Last night I tore into the suspension. Replaced the 3.5” metal cloak coils with 4.5” coils. Dealing with the single adjustable control arms was a hassle. Not sure why anyone would ever buy control arms that are not double adjustable. I will likely ditch these metal cloak arms and swap in a set of Savvy aluminum arms.
61BD2051-E6DE-4369-99D9-149766921CE9.jpeg

Also installed the Currie steering last night while the suspension was torn apart. Easy install and fit perfectly. Oil stains are from my 67 Firebird not the LJ. Rear main and oil pan seals are perfect with no leaks.
C2DAACAD-1ACA-4726-9E21-CA74DDD1DCCC.jpeg

Here is the rig after replacing the coil springs. Still waiting to receive the front axle shafts I purchased five weeks ago. Planning to order a new rear driveshaft from Adams tomorrow. Still need to swap over the tires/wheels from my YJ. Not a fan of the 17” wheels.
1EB7AE84-E785-42F1-B63D-EE164DFD1FF5.jpeg

Planning to paint the hardtop this summer then have the body painted next winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: WesRJ86 and PNW_LJ
Build recap to date.
  • Swapped out Smittybilt fenders for OEM fenders
  • Removed metal Smittybilt rear fender flares. Replaced with OEM style flares
  • Removed Smittybilt front bumper and cheap winch. Installed genright bumper and Warn VR8000 winch
  • Removed K&N cold air intake and installed OEM air filter setup
  • Genright rear bumper
  • RGA rear axle shafts
  • 4.56 gears
  • Currie steering
  • UCF extra clearance transfer case skid
  • Rokmen gas tank skid
  • Bosch fuel pump
  • Denso alternator, Denso starter, and serpentine belt
  • Mopar water pump, Mopar radiator, Mopar thermostat, and new radiator hoses
  • New spark plugs
  • Replaced rear main seal and installed new oil pan with gasket
  • Changed transmission and transfer case fluid
  • New catalytic converter and muffler
  • Rear sway bar bushings and rear jounce bumpers
  • JKS 1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift
  • 4.5" metal cloak coils
  • New transmission mount and Savvy cable shifter
  • Replaced hood latches, cowl seal, fender marker lights, and headlight bezels
Remaining items to install.
  • Mopar crankshaft sensor, Mopar MAF sensor, and Mopar camshaft sensor
  • Adams rear driveshaft
  • RGA front axle shafts and SKF unit bearings
  • 35" Goodyear MTR on 15" Moab knockoff wheels
  • Rear inner plastic fenders

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW_LJ
Worked on the rig a few nights this week. Installed the rear RGA axle shafts first. Splines on the stocks shafts were twisted and due for replacement.

Last night I tore into the suspension. Replaced the 3.5” metal cloak coils with 4.5” coils. Dealing with the single adjustable control arms was a hassle. Not sure why anyone would ever buy control arms that are not double adjustable. I will likely ditch these metal cloak arms and swap in a set of Savvy aluminum arms.
View attachment 414317

Also installed the Currie steering last night while the suspension was torn apart. Easy install and fit perfectly. Oil stains are from my 67 Firebird not the LJ. Rear main and oil pan seals are perfect with no leaks.
View attachment 414318

Here is the rig after replacing the coil springs. Still waiting to receive the front axle shafts I purchased five weeks ago. Planning to order a new rear driveshaft from Adams tomorrow. Still need to swap over the tires/wheels from my YJ. Not a fan of the 17” wheels.
View attachment 414320

Planning to paint the hardtop this summer then have the body painted next winter.

I know you say you plan to paint the hardtop and body plus swap out tires and wheels, but that is one nice looking rig as is. 👍 Just sayin'.

I know you say you plan to paint the hardtop and body plus swap out tires and wheels, but that is one nice looking rig as is. 👍 Just sayin'.

Thanks for the kind words. This rig baked in the Southern California sun so the hardtop paint is faded and the Maaco paint job is a mess. Looks good from 20 feet though.

Spent a couple nights last week on the LJ. Installed the new rear driveshaft and swapped the tires/wheels from my YJ onto this rig. Ordered the driveshaft from Adam’s on Monday and received at my door within 48 hours.

4255DB21-A535-4CC2-AE3B-7539C3538BD2.jpeg

856925B0-2810-4CAE-9A8E-2704D43A6493.jpeg

Finally received the RGA front shafts I ordered 40 days ago. Planning to install the shafts tomorrow and the rear wheelwell liners later in the week.

@Duck Doctor. Nice work so far. It’s nice to have the belly up. What color are you going to have it painted?

@Duck Doctor. Nice work so far. It’s nice to have the belly up. What color are you going to have it painted?

I will likely go with the same Anvil JK color but with a clear coat instead of the flat finish. It is a shame that the PO ruined the factory paint job by paying for a cheap Maaco repaint.

I am also considering forest green similar to the early 90s YJs.

Reactions: LJDC and JMT
Started on the axle shafts tonight. Forgot the shafts were unassembled so spent the evening installing ujoint a with the ball joint press. Will install the shafts with unit bearings and hardware tomorrow.

Remeasured the alignment this evening and found the toe was 5/8” out. Adjusted toe to 1/8” in. Hopefully that fixes the moderately twitchy steering.

UCF transmission mount was shipped today. Planning the install this weekend. Driveshaft angle at the transfer case is steep so we’ll see how much the UCF mount helps.

Reactions: PNW_LJ