Any advice on installing Currie 4” at home?

ARawls88

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Any tips, secrets or tricks of the trade for doing this at home? All help is much appreciated!

It is pretty straight forward. A few things that I was glad that I had -

A nice floor jack (two for cycling suspension). I used one nice one and one so-so. Nice tall 6 ton jack stands and nice scraps of 2×12 and assorted blocks help. A set of drift(alignment) punches. Two 3/8" ×6"socket extensions. A 5/16" hex/Allen x 3/8" drive socket. Taps and a strong t-handle for new bump stop bolts if you're installing those. PB Blaster for a day before especially upper rear shock mounts, front jounce cups. Antiseize for new hardware.

Well here it goes into the garage. Last time it’ll look like this
2B0C2EA1-D7C9-42A5-BBA5-CE64024D3675.jpeg

I installed my Currie 4" lift in the garage, by myself. It wasn't terribly bad, I just recommend an impact wrench, jack stands, a good hydraulic jack, metal drill bits, and a tap and dye kit so that you can drill the lower spring perches and tap them for the bolts that hold in the bump stops.

Pace yourself and don't try to do it in a day. It took me a weekend, but I paced myself and took lots of breaks.

Got most of the front end disassembled last night, wasn’t as bad as I thought. I’m making a list as y’all keep responding so much appreciated and keep it coming. Impact has definitely come in handy too!

1. If you get tired, stop working.
2. After everything's installed, take a nap
3. Come back later and make sure everything is tight/torqued to spec

When I installed my lift, I was lucky to find a friend with a heated garage to use for a day. Just a day. I had done a lift install before, but this was also going to be new track bar and trailing arms. Started around 10 a.m. Rolled out of there around 3 a.m. Exhausted. Over the next month, I was chasing down rattles and squeaks due to shit not being tightened properly.

If you have time, take it.

and for anyone else doing this, gather up your loose change and pick up one of these:

https://www.ezcarlift.com/
I've had mine for 10 years and the thing is amazing.

When I installed my lift, I was lucky to find a friend with a heated garage to use for a day. Just a day. I had done a lift install before, but this was also going to be new track bar and trailing arms. Started around 10 a.m. Rolled out of there around 3 a.m. Exhausted. Over the next month, I was chasing down rattles and squeaks due to shit not being tightened properly.

and for anyone else doing this, gather up your loose change and pick up one of these:

I’ve got plenty of time. If it takes me a week so be it. This is all new arms, track bar and the works. So I want it done right the first time. But I’m sure I’ll be chasing down stuff too!

yeah if you can't get a 2 or 4 post lift this is good way to go. I knew I needed 2 car storage so I did the 4 post lift, cost of the lift itself was about the same. Then it needs to be installed, chances are you need to lift the garage door tracks to a front torsion spring so that adds up.