Any advice on installing full doors?

I just recently took my doors off for the first time. I used a floor jack and a piece of 4x4 lumber with a jack pad on top. Worked great for me.
81zobmuSSSL._SX679_.jpg

I loosened the torx screws - they came out with no problem. Held the door up by the window frame under my shoulder using my right hand. And pushed it up into position. Then with my other hand tightened the top torx screw down. And they fit almost perfectly now.

The upper hinge/pin still has a small gap in the middle but only like 1/8" or so. Door closes perfectly. Everything went back ok. The whole door is painted black and the hinges have rubber under them. So no noticeable mars or differences in finish.

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

My almost perfect scratched up new full doors! They aren't perfectly set. But I figure when I take it into the body shop for paint correction and touch up. I can have them fine tune them. So the lines are all straight. All I cared about was that they shut right and wouldn't leak. Everything appears to be a tight seal. And now I can see out my side windows. So much safer.

I think I'm ready to do the seat swap next. My old 97-02 doors for a set of like new 03-06 doors. And painting those ugly flares. Just waiting on paint.

20190412_162813.jpg

20190412_162825.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
So what are those hinge pin nuts called or their specs? I need a set.

EDIT - Been looking. Cheapest I can find is complete replacement pins with nut for $25 on ebay. Anyone know the thread size? I think a black oxide nut of some kind would suffice. I can't find anyplace that sells just the nuts. Unless you buy security nuts. Those run about $23 plus shipping from Quadratec. Maybe I'll just get those. AT least then no one can just open your door and pull them off.

Last edited:
Glad you found some doors @moab, nice work getting them lined up too. If you are comfortable doing it, you could use some 3M rubbing compound on a wool pad on a drill or buffer and try to buff out the clear coat scratches on the doors, then polish.

I bought a set of stainless hinge nuts from Summit, if you don't mind stainless. Someone may have them in black. What's nice is they aren't painted, and use a hex key (which I keep in my Jeep) to remove and tighten, for a bit more security, of sorts.

Reactions: KCsTJ
The nuts are unnecessary and the first time I took my doors off I tossed them. Nice not having to use a wrench every time I want to ride without them.

The nuts are unnecessary and the first time I took my doors off I tossed them. Nice not having to use a wrench every time I want to ride without them.
I use them with the half doors so they can’t easily be stolen

Reactions: KCsTJ
Glad you found some doors @moab, nice work getting them lined up too. If you are comfortable doing it, you could use some 3M rubbing compound on a wool pad on a drill or buffer and try to buff out the clear coat scratches on the doors, then polish.

The scratches are thru the paint and primer. I'm going to take it to a body shop and have them do touch up and paint correction (buffing). At some point. But it's not that kind of perfect Jeep anyway. Other than that each panel has a small 2 inch crack in the normal place. I'm gonna epoxy and fiberglass it on the back. So as to keep the crack closed and solid from anymore pressure being put on it.

I can't believe how great the full doors are though. I can finally see. My sight view went from like 90 degrees to 180. Makes a world of difference when driving in LA. Half the time I could not see what was to the left and right of me. Even with new upper windows on the half doors. So pleased. I can't tell you. It was worth the 5 hour drive to pick them up. Which convinced me to for sure use my sound deadening and heat shield materials on the tub.

I have new 03-06 seats to go in it too. So when I pull those I'm going to sound deaden the tub and put new ACC carpet in too. Just been waiting for better weather. And my garage is finally converted into a half assed shop. So I can pull it into the garage and work on it now.

My wife and son both think it looks way better too. As do I. The glass just adds something. Can't put my finger on it.

Reactions: JMT
The scratches are thru the paint and primer. I'm going to take it to a body shop and have them do touch up and paint correction (buffing). At some point. But it's not that kind of perfect Jeep anyway. Other than that each panel has a small 2 inch crack in the normal place. I'm gonna epoxy and fiberglass it on the back. So as to keep the crack closed and solid from anymore pressure being put on it.

I can't believe how great the full doors are though. I can finally see. My sight view went from like 90 degrees to 180. Makes a world of difference when driving in LA. Half the time I could not see what was to the left and right of me. Even with new upper windows on the half doors. So pleased. I can't tell you. It was worth the 5 hour drive to pick them up. Which convinced me to for sure use my sound deadening and heat shield materials on the tub.

I have new 03-06 seats to go in it too. So when I pull those I'm going to sound deaden the tub and put new ACC carpet in too. Just been waiting for better weather. And my garage is finally converted into a half assed shop. So I can pull it into the garage and work on it now.

My wife and son both think it looks way better too. As do I. The glass just adds something. Can't put my finger on it.
Awesome! Your rig is really turning out. It is great to see out the window. I was worried about that when I was thinking of going to half doors and soft uppers with that stupid plastic window. I’d still like half doors. Maybe I’ll do trail doors. I like the UCF and the Savvy. When you get the flares painted it will really come together. I still need to sound deaden my tub. The 03-06 seats are about 1-2” shorter than the 97-02, so you may want seat risers, or not if you’re tall. I could barely see over the steering wheel. Anyway. I’m glad these doors worked out for you and hope Paypal resolved the other pieces of junk.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Awesome! Your rig is really turning out. It is great to see out the window. I was worried about that when I was thinking of going to half doors and soft uppers with that stupid plastic window. I’d still like half doors. Maybe I’ll do trail doors. I like the UCF and the Savvy. When you get the flares painted it will really come together. I still need to sound deaden my tub. The 03-06 seats are about 1-2” shorter than the 97-02, so you may want seat risers, or not if you’re tall. I could barely see over the steering wheel. Anyway. I’m glad these doors worked out for you and hope Paypal resolved the other pieces of junk.

Ya. Doing the flares is next. I checked them out more closely yesterday. And the inner wheel well liners have already been removed. So all the hardware is accessible. And I'm going to replace it with normal bolts and nylon nuts and body washers. Once the flares are painted the whole Jeep will look ten times better.

I didn't like half doors to much. I couldn't see out of them. And they leaked even with new uppers. Just not my thing. I think if I wanted to go more bare I'd just take my doors off. They lift right off now. Easy peasy to take off and on. I'm just happy to have a window to roll down. lol. It also makes it very apparent that I need a new windshield too though. My windshield is thrashed. Looks like its been thru more than a few sand storms. That will be my next expenditure. But I have so many other parts and things on hand to do to it. I'm a good couple months away from that.

I'm actually glad the newer seats sit lower. I'm 6'3". And am super cramped with the early seats. I also got Big Boy brackets. So it will bring them back another 4" too. Currently I have to duck my head to see traffic lights at a stop light.

Still can't decide on removing the rear tailgate lock box, the glove box security box and the rear seat. I won't use the rear seat. But my son will occasionally when he takes friends with him. I haven't had it out yet. So maybe if it's easy. I'll just remove it and put it back in when he needs it. I'd like my dog (German Shepherd) to be able to ride back there. And the lower the better. I don't feel safe with him sitting up on the seat. Even with the soft top on. Not that he'd be that much better off on the floor. But still.

The rear lock box rarely gets used. But I should put some tools in it. And then it would be functional. So maybe I'll keep that. The glove box is just ugly as hell and rattles alot. I have an original box to put in. I do lock things like my stereo faceplate and phone cables in there occasionally. But I mostly just hate how it looks in the dash. And I could stash stuff in the rear box instead of the front. I won't lock anything non metal or security rated on my Jeep. As I know it will just get ripped apart in a theft. These new doors don't have keys. And I don't really care. As if I lock them my top will just get cut in a theft too.

@moab, that’s the other thing I was wondering about, what about a hardtop? Are you considering that down the road?

Did you sell the half doors or are you going too? Black would probably look good on my Flame Red TJ, though I think silver would look better. I’ve thought about changing all my stuff up and going to silver bumpers, silver rock sliders and silver flares. REd and silver looks really good and its rare to see this color combo

Rear seat removal isn’t too bad, it’s a little heavy and awkward.

@moab, that’s the other thing I was wondering about, what about a hardtop? Are you considering that down the road?

Did you sell the half doors or are you going too? Black would probably look good on my Flame Red TJ, though I think silver would look better. I’ve thought about changing all my stuff up and going to silver bumpers, silver rock sliders and silver flares. REd and silver looks really good and its rare to see this color combo

It actually came with a hard top from the factory. So it's all wired and everything for one. But I currently don't have plans for one. Unless once I move back to the PNW - I might consider one then. If the soft top leaks or something. I like being able to take the top down at will. Not as easy with a hard top. But like I said, I've got the option to easily do that. I also want to see how quiet I can get the interior with all the sound deadening and heat shield material I have on hand. I bought it up on sale a few years ago. For a VW I had. But sold the VW. And still have enough supplies to do two cars. And a Jeep is nothing. As it's just the tub.

My Jeep originally was full doors and a hard top. But it was in an accident in like it's first or second year. And they dealt with it cheaply I think. By swapping to a soft top. And repainting some half doors for it. They also left a tiny dent in the front of the drivers side front fender. But in the end it's good for me. Cause I got the Jeep cheaper than normal. And I at least have the option of putting that stuff back on.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the half doors. Keeping them or selling them. But I'll for sure let you know. They were originally yellow. And repainted. And have some wear marks and small dings where the yellow shows thru. But it could easily be touched up. That's what I was going to do originally. But then realized how much I hated them. lol.

I know there's a set of red ones on CL in Socal for $650. You might hit the guy up and see if he'll ship. I know Greyhound is cheap for shipping. That's how I got my first full doors that were messed up. Also Fastenal ships between there locations for cheap. Except in CA. So depending on where you are. I'd consider those two options. Greyhound took amazing care of the doors I had shipped. And they were only covered with cardboard and plastic wrap - whatever you call that stuff.

Reactions: JMT
It actually came with a hard top from the factory. So it's all wired and everything for one. But I currently don't have plans for one. Unless once I move back to the PNW - I might consider one then. If the soft top leaks or something. I like being able to take the top down at will. Not as easy with a hard top. But like I said, I've got the option to easily do that. I also want to see how quiet I can get the interior with all the sound deadening and heat shield material I have on hand. I bought it up on sale a few years ago. For a VW I had. But sold the VW. And still have enough supplies to do two cars. And a Jeep is nothing. As it's just the tub.

My Jeep originally was full doors and a hard top. But it was in an accident in like it's first or second year. And they dealt with it cheaply I think. By swapping to a soft top. And repainting some half doors for it. They also left a tiny dent in the front of the drivers side front fender. But in the end it's good for me. Cause I got the Jeep cheaper than normal. And I at least have the option of putting that stuff back on.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the half doors. Keeping them or selling them. But I'll for sure let you know. They were originally yellow. And repainted. And have some wear marks and small dings where the yellow shows thru. But it could easily be touched up. That's what I was going to do originally. But then realized how much I hated them. lol.

I know there's a set of red ones on CL in Socal for $650. You might hit the guy up and see if he'll ship. I know Greyhound is cheap for shipping. That's how I got my first full doors that were messed up. Also Fastenal ships between there locations for cheap. Except in CA. So depending on where you are. I'd consider those two options. Greyhound took amazing care of the doors I had shipped. And they were only covered with cardboard and plastic wrap - whatever you call that stuff.
Good ideas. You know I’m moving to PNW as soon as my house sells. Spokane Area. I think I’ll be glad I have my hardtop then. Heck, I like it now. It is a bit of a chore to put on and take off, but I’ve got a hoist and it’s not too bad. I like the idea of a soft top, but had a bad experience with one. Probably because it was cheap. And worn out from PO. I sold a few parts like the uppers and burned it! LOL.

I think I just like the looks and idea of half doors, kind of like ‘having it all.’

What kind of sound deadening material do you have?

Good ideas. You know I’m moving to PNW as soon as my house sells. Spokane Area. I think I’ll be glad I have my hardtop then. Heck, I like it now. It is a bit of a chore to put on and take off, but I’ve got a hoist and it’s not too bad. I like the idea of a soft top, but had a bad experience with one. Probably because it was cheap. And worn out from PO. I sold a few parts like the uppers and burned it! LOL.

I think I just like the looks and idea of half doors, kind of like ‘having it all.’

What kind of sound deadening material do you have?

Will be moving to Granite Falls area (North of Seattle) in the coming year or so. Maybe less.