Any asphalt / cement experts or professionals in this forum?

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
As we prepare to prepare(you can’t be over prepared) our driveway for it to be blacktopped, (and boy has it been a long spring of slop); we’ve heard it’s best to let the base layer of gravel settle for a year before laying asphalt down. Is this true? Any other suggestions for a driveway that will not track constant mud in the home and also work with motorcycles ?
Secondly, We have yet to seal our cement in the garage due to needing to wait to warm up seeing our cement for our garage was poured late in the fall. What are the best conditions for sealing the garage cement? Dave was thinking about getting The in Floor heat running first to assist in drying out any moisture that could get trapped in there after sealing?

Don't know much about asphalt, but on your concrete, the slower it cures, the stronger it will be. If it was poured in the fall, you're probably ok. FWIW, they poured my slab in December, and sealed it immediately (like the same day).

Reactions: Kathy
As we prepare to prepare(you can’t be over prepared) our driveway for it to be blacktopped, (and boy has it been a long spring of slop); we’ve heard it’s best to let the base layer of gravel settle for a year before laying asphalt down. Is this true? Any other suggestions for a driveway that will not track constant mud in the home and also work with motorcycles ?
Secondly, We have yet to seal our cement in the garage due to needing to wait to warm up seeing our cement for our garage was poured late in the fall. What are the best conditions for sealing the garage cement? Dave was thinking about getting The in Floor heat running first to assist in drying out any moisture that could get trapped in there after sealing?
Your sealing compound will tell you what the moisture content of the concrete slab should be so follow their recommendations for the best results.
As for the gravel settling, I doubt that they don't run a roller compacter over it before they lay the AC. (asphalt concrete) Applying a bit of logic, one can derive from watching road construction that if they had to wait a year for the gravel or road base to settle, almost nothing would get built.

If you are unsure, ask the paver what their requirements are to provide a sound product with a tolerable warranty.

Your sealing compound will tell you what the moisture content of the concrete slab should be so follow their recommendations for the best results.
As for the gravel settling, I doubt that they don't run a roller compacter over it before they lay the AC. (asphalt concrete) Applying a bit of logic, one can derive from watching road construction that if they had to wait a year for the gravel or road base to settle, almost nothing would get built.

If you are unsure, ask the paver what their requirements are to provide a sound product with a tolerable warranty.
Here’s what I purchased for sealing. I’ll have to read closer but didn’t see anything but apply once cement is cured, which it clearly is that. Thank you for your insight :)
56938636-BDC5-41EE-BA73-AB089148F1CE.png