Any bass fisherman on here?

pc1p

I do all my own stunts
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
When I was younger, I lived in NYC. My dad's high school buddy was the first-mate on a fishing boat. I have to dig through some of the other old photos, but I'm fairly certain that it was the "Queen Mary" out of Sheepshead Bay. We fished tons - almost every weekend when the weather cooperated (and even some weekends when it didn't!). Fishing was one of the few common interests that my dad and I shared.

IMG_0001 copy.jpg

Pic of the old man on one of the many trips out of the bay

When we moved to NEPA the summer I turned 14, we had quite the learning curve. We were using surf gear with 50# test mono and treble hooks. A very friendly and helpful local fisherman during one of our early trips gave us some smaller gear and then suggested we go to Sugermans Outlet and browse their fishing section, asking for assistance from one of the many experienced associates in the store.

As we adjusted to inland fishing, we mainly focused on trout and crappie and caught out fair share over the years...

IMG_0003 copy.jpg

14 y.o. me

IMG_0005 copy.jpg

The old man's opening day score

One thing we never got into was bass fishing. We tried and tried and in the ~7 years I lived in PA (the first time), I probably caught a total of 4 bass. I've caught more stripers on a single fishing trip than I caught largemouth in all my time trying...

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago: a local guy who comes and fishes the lake at the house was walking down the road with a stringer of bass a long as he was tall. I ran down to the lake and asked (begged!) him show me how he caught them, since I have tried fishing for them for a full year with not a single bite on nightcrawlers, worms, wax worms, fatheads, and basically everything that wiggles. Not only did he show me, he ended up giving me a few 5" Senkos and we set up my rod to start catching fish.

Since then, I've been slamming them - catching 2-3 per hour most days...
IMG_8968.jpg

IMG_8972.jpg

IMG_9264.jpg

I caught so many one weekend that I had to start using my right hand to mouth them when pulling the hook as I had a serious case of Bass Thumb!
IMG_9298.jpg

293056460_5321763027899752_942945475581395203_n.jpg

Since I'm only fishing from the shore and can't physically get to the deeper waters, most are 2-3#ers. Fun to catch and fight, though I have caught a handful >20" and pushing 6#s...
IMG_9281.jpg

IMG_9284.jpg

I've cleaned up my tackle boxes (and bought a Carhartt fanny pack for quick trips down to the lake) and bought a new (and a few used) bass specific rods and reels (my 5-1/2' light action rods with 6# line made for fun fights but a lot of missed hooks). Been looking at getting a small, 10-12' aluminum boat that I can take around the lake but haven't found anything nearby yet. I suspect that I'm more likely to find a good deal on one as the season comes to an end, which is fine for me as I can bring it in the garage and clean it up and get it ready for next year over winter.

It is pretty addicting, even more so than fly fishing was when I was younger. I've picked up some other lures but none have given anything near the catch rate of these soft plastic baits. I'll see what it's like once the weather cools down and the fish get a bit more aggressive with hunting in preparation for winter. This lake is only 27 acres and ~25' at the deepest spot, so it cools and freezes quick. I've been told that once it cools down to ~50º at night that the water temps drop quick and this triggers the bass to hunt and feed aggressively. I've got some spinner baits, plus a handful of crankbaits to go to see if I can get hits on those.

IMG_9302.jpg

That's a lot of what we have doen here. Largemouth bass. I have a citation from a lake behind my aunts house. It's a lot of fun.

I took kids fishing for the first time last year and all we caught where crappies but we had a blast!

Reactions: pc1p
Looks like you're doing things right to me. I need to find the pic of my wife's largest catch... it'll blow your mind.
I called it "Bassasauras", because it was HUGE!

Love fishing for bass but unfortunately the fishing here in CT isn't all that great. I travel up to Lake Dammariscotta in Maine to get my fix in.

I enjoy eating what I catch and large-mouth generally ain't great. Stripers, all over that, good eats. Enjoy the trout as well, crappie ain't bad but I can't argue with the name much. It ain't carp, I'll give it that.

Thanks for sharing, great memories. Live right behind a man made lake we would walk to and fish for bass, catfish and trout when they stocked it. Always did good on a texas rig using senkos or crawdads. Top water frogs were also used and we had plenty of success.

The catch rate has slowed the past two weeks, but here was a nice one from last week. I haven't gotten a single hit on a worm in 2+ weeks, so I've been trying other baits. The fish seem to have moved far from shore - the lack of rain has caused the water level to drop some and the warm temps have made the lake feel like bath water. The only baits I can fling 40+ yards or so are heavy spinnerbaits, and they've been hooking up thankfully...

IMG_9411.jpg

Found a local guy selling a 17' Bass Cat in real nice shape. Needs some motor work (new water pump, but he has the parts) but overall is super clean with a nice trailer.

I enjoy eating what I catch and large-mouth generally ain't great. Stripers, all over that, good eats. Enjoy the trout as well, crappie ain't bad but I can't argue with the name much. It ain't carp, I'll give it that.
I love trout but even then I'll likely be C&R as well since no one in my house eats fish except for me...