Any electrical gurus that can explain how an EMP Shield device works?

It's just a surge protector, so sure it is going to help with surges. An EMP is really just a voltage spike of sorts and not by definition a nuclear event which is what most people think of so that's why they get away with that angle in my opinion. This probably a good place for that foil hat giphy?

It's just a surge protector, so sure it is going to help with surges. An EMP is really just a voltage spike of sorts and not by definition a nuclear event which is what most people think of so that's why they get away with that angle in my opinion. This probably a good place for that foil hat giphy?

That's one hell of an expensive surge protector :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
But wouldn't that surge be coming from both sides of the protector? Wouldn't that mean everything on one side is already fried?

Better to put lightning/surge protector between meter and electrical panel.

6389EBA2-9A57-4372-8FA7-D905C11C5C75.jpeg

But wouldn't that surge be coming from both sides of the protector? Wouldn't that mean everything on one side is already fried?
It works just like a surge protector, when you have voltage spikes on your household line a surge protector does it's thing. A local lightning strike creates an EMP and a surge protector generally helps with that sort of thing. I didn't mean to suggest it would work with a nuclear event.

Reactions: Chris
Must be made by Monster cable then.

They way they work is quite ingenious. They scare you into giving them your money in return for $5 worth of electronics that in most cases will do nothing.
How could I ever forget Monster Cable 😆

Talk about a scam.

Must be made by Monster cable then.

They way they work is quite ingenious. They scare you into giving them your money in return for $5 worth of electronics that in most cases will do nothing.
Real hemp shielding components are not cheap, you will need wave guides and complex series and parallel mov’s to protect you from an emp event.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba
I worked at a place who had a mine short out a 12,470 volt underground main line in a mine shaft that was 210 miles away and the power surge damaged a lot of our protection, I was testing and replacing components for days. We calculated that the ground fault current of a 1” copper line of that voltage was close to 1,000,000 amps. None of the grid protections protected sensitive equipment. About 40’ of the copper main line vaporized inside the mine and no one was killed. Anyone who works 3 phase hates brown outs, where you lose one phase, can wrench havoc on any sensitive equ.

Anyone who works 3 phase hates brown outs, where you lose one phase, can wrench havoc on any sensitive equ.
This, I understand. All my very precise, very accurate CNC grinders really hate brown outs. The drives are sensitive, the spindles are sensitive, servos freak out, etc. Bad news, man.

This, I understand. All my very precise, very accurate CNC grinders really hate brown outs. The drives are sensitive, the spindles are sensitive, servos freak out, etc. Bad news, man.
Watched an operator turn on a Mazak after a brown out, did a reset but she never checked the programmed and it buried the 55 hp spindle into a 4” thick block of aluminum. The building shook when the spindle stalled and the servo couldn’t push any more into the stock. About 100 k to replace spindle, motor, servo and tooling along with 2 days of downtime.

• USA Proud
Watched an operator turn on a Mazak after a brown out, did a reset but she never checked the programmed and it buried the 55 hp spindle into a 4” thick block of aluminum. The building shook when the spindle stalled and the servo couldn’t push any more into the stock. About 100 k to replace spindle, motor, servo and tooling along with 2 days of downtime.
We had a guy crash a trunnion in our 5 axis Haas. Before my time, so I don't know the whole story, but we bought another trunnion, because the turn around time was so much quicker, plus we had the crashed one repaired (not sure why... Before my time)

We had a guy crash a trunnion in our 5 axis Haas. Before my time, so I don't know the whole story, but we bought another trunnion, because the turn around time was so much quicker, plus we had the crashed one repaired (not sure why... Before my time)
Cost, rebuild maybe half new, funny thing is that precision bearings need constant turning so the bearings don’t take a set and cause vibration so just having them on the shelf is never just sitting on the shelf

Cost, rebuild maybe half new, funny thing is that precision bearings need constant turning so the bearings don’t take a set and cause vibration so just having them on the shelf is never just sitting on the shelf
Yeah, cost, but like you said...its sitting around. No one is cycling it. Its just sitting in a crate. So, when we DO need it, its already NFG. It was probably sitting for two years before I came on board. I don't know just how precise the bearings in the trunnion are...I know we have some grinder spindles that we need to exercise every week or so, because they are set to microns of runout. They DO take a set...

Reactions: astjp2
Just logged onto facebook and there was a big ad for an EMP Shield, I really enjoy the internet. Honestly I'd rather it be this shit than total T, "she'll like it too." By the way there is probably good info here.
I pulled up YouTube and an EMP ad ran. Still think it’s worthless after watching the ad.