Any electrical gurus that can explain how an EMP Shield device works?

I've spent a good portion of my career doing EEE testing on USAF fighters, memorized the MIL-STD-1541/1541A, the CNSSAM TEMPEST/01-02 NONSTOP, the DO-160, and many others. I can tell you without a doubt that the video you posted blows them all away.

I can't wait to go in to work tomorrow & turn the entire industry on it's face.

Here's the technical stuff on this device: https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageN...26OS=carty%2BAND%2Bemp%26RS=carty%2BAND%2Bemp

Based on my experience as a Navy ET and 20 years as a electrical engineer, it looks like a surge protector to me.

An EMP can result from several sources, including lightning and nuclear weapons. What actually happens is a very high voltage is induced into power lines that are connected to your home and all your stuff. Whilst the voltage is very high (>20kVA), it is of very short duration (milliseconds). Thus, a very high voltage of such short duration that conventional circuit breakers do not have time to react. The usual method of dealing with this event is to detect the surge, then shunt it to ground.

The tranzorb is a kind of Transient Voltage Suppression (TVS) device invented back in the 70's (IIRC) by either GE or Gen'l Semiconductor. Electronics were just starting to appear in homes and people were getting upset that their expensive TV and microwave were being destroyed by a lightning strike down the street. The tranzorb device was connected to your home power panel and protected all of your stuff from lightning induced surges. I had one in my previous house and it worked fine for 10 years, and may still be working today. I think I paid around $28 for it at the local Graybar electric. A quick search reveals many of these devices available for sale from $100 to over $1,000.

BTW, the patent specifically mentions EMP damage from nuclear weapons. Maybe it's just me, but if somebody detonates a nuke with sufficient power to damage my electronics due to an EMP, I think I have larger issues. The much bigger concern is that it will take our our entire communications networks and much of our (largely computer controlled) power distribution grid down. If you are that concerned, I suggest the following:
Buy a Generac 20kVA standby generator, install real TVAs, get a ham license and suitable equipment, and move away from large cities and military targets.

The part in the OP is probably snake oil. In order to stop the effects of an EMP, you need a enveloping shield. Even then the cage needs to match the frequency. You can block big parts of a spectrum but not knowing what an EMP freq is, you will give up some protection front or back. Even the phone and RF ID Faraday cages are specific to todays current device frequency. Great if you don't want your device tracked but a EMP strike will likely penetrate the cage/shield.

Reactions: Apparition