Any good bolt-on roof rack options?

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Without going full exterior cage for overlanding, is there a good option for a hard top roof rack without modifying the hard top?

I like the idea of adding rails or a basket for extra storage on trips, but I would rather not drill into a virgin factory hard top in pristine condition. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Not a great photo but, it's an old one and the only one I have that really shows it................

Mine is off of a 1998 chevy blazer, I had to cut the rails rails down a little bit to fit.
I look at it as only light loads though, I don't think the top will hold up to heavy loads or even something that catches a lot of wind.

IMG_2070.JPG

Reactions: jrmcafee
Not a great photo but, it's an old one and the only one I have that really shows it................

Mine is off of a 1998 chevy blazer, I had to cut the rails rails down a little bit to fit.
I look at it as only light loads though, I don't think the top will hold up to heavy loads or even something that catches a lot of wind.

View attachment 298995
How did you attach it?

The original rack bolted down from the top into some weld nuts on the blazer.

I used these with a fender washer pushed up from the bottom/inside to try and spread out the weight from pulling force.
I found these a local hardware store, they are a Hilman branded threaded insert, but I don't know the part number.
OIP.jpg
I installed them just like it is in the photo, and then used a button head cap screw down from the top.
I was able to keep the insert from spinning by holding in those holes with a snap ring pliers, like a spanner wrench.

I didn't want bolts sticking down inside, but they would probably be just fine, or you could use acorn nuts for a more finished look with no sharp edges.
But with these it's flush except the flange of the insert and the fender washer.

I seem to recall someone doing something similar with a Ford Explorer rack too.

The other option is some Yakima rails and racks, but it got to be more expensive than I wanted to invest. But it was a really nice setup, and the cross bars can be taken off when you're not using it. So, it has a cleaner look.

Reactions: kenosha whiz six
Oh yeah, the other one that I looked at was The Trackrack at Rocky Road Outfitters.
Another slick option, but I was too cheap at the time.

you can successfully drill a hole in the roof without worrying about water leakage...the thing is to fab some struts that tie it to the rollbar(curtain rods)to spread the load onto said curtain rods...it wont be a quick-removal system but thats ok,it will be strong.you can actually sleep up there.exo-skelotons are circumventing the roofs weakness,yet they add weight and cantilever forces...by tieing-in to the rollball with split-ring clamps,pipe-hangers etc,the weight is shifted to the bars,not the plastic roof

you can successfully drill a hole in the roof without worrying about water leakage...the thing is to fab some struts that tie it to the rollbar(curtain rods)to spread the load onto said curtain rods...it wont be a quick-removal system but thats ok,it will be strong.you can actually sleep up there.exo-skelotons are circumventing the roofs weakness,yet they add weight and cantilever forces...by tieing-in to the rollball with split-ring clamps,pipe-hangers etc,the weight is shifted to the bars,not the plastic roof

My original plan was too fab an inner support that transferred to the roll bars, but I found I use mine seldom and have no desire to top load a Jeep with heavy weight, so I never went further.

But again, mine is a low weight infrequent use setup.
It would be damn easy to use mine really wrong!

Reactions: kenosha whiz six
Surco no drill hard top TJ roof rack is the way I went, cost me a bit more than you guys as I had to have them sent to australia from USA (USA Made) Hard tops are too expensive and hard to come by to drill holes in them!
I pondered many ideas but the Surco is easy fit easy off, dont come with the cross bars or rack but you have heaps of cheap options at Harbour Freight.

launcher 3.jpg

Surco.jpg

I’ve been eyeballing this. Looks easy enough to take on and off:

Hooke Road Wrangler TJ Cargo Basket Roof Rack for Jeep Wrangler TJ 1997-2006 Hardtop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MRVF9M4/?tag=wranglerorg-20
That's a good one! how much do they cost? Amazon USA wont let the rest of the world see USA prices because its usually half the price we get gouged.
This is like the latest they made for the newer Wranglers but I think you have to fit the rear on the glass hinge brackets?

That's a good one! how much do they cost? Amazon USA wont let the rest of the world see USA prices because its usually half the price we get gouged.
This is like the latest they made for the newer Wranglers but I think you have to fit the rear on the glass hinge brackets?
Not sure about the back. That’s kinda why I’m trepidations about it. Can’t really tell how it attaches on the backside.

Not sure about the back. That’s kinda why I’m trepidations about it. Can’t really tell how it attaches on the backside.
I see a vid with this type being fitted to a later Wrangler and you had to undo the glass hinges, looks similar but the one I see was not as low profile, this one looks a bit more Posh :) $329us is pretty good given we cant buy a modern flat rack here without the brackets for under $500au

I see a vid with this type being fitted to a later Wrangler and you had to undo the glass hinges, looks similar but the one I see was not as low profile, this one looks a bit more Posh :) $329us is pretty good given we cant buy a modern flat rack here without the brackets for under $500au
I have a birthday coming up. I’ve been… hinting….

Surco no drill hard top TJ roof rack is the way I went, cost me a bit more than you guys as I had to have them sent to australia from USA (USA Made) Hard tops are too expensive and hard to come by to drill holes in them!
I pondered many ideas but the Surco is easy fit easy off, dont come with the cross bars or rack but you have heaps of cheap options at Harbour Freight.

View attachment 299043

View attachment 299053
This looks good. I saw your other post about the Surco mount on the site but these pics help a lot. I have the exact same model in the same color, so this pic is ideal. May be the way to go!

Have you thought about removing your hardtop when you go over landing ? I wouldn’t want to damage my hardtop and being lighter will help. Look at cargo baskets that will fit inside the TJ. You don’t want weight up high like pagrey said.

Definitely consider a full rack if you have the cash.

I have this one and it has served me very well:
https://garvinracks.com/76-06-wrangler/expedition-rack-jeep-97-to-06-tj-wrangler
You can easily load 300+ lbs on it without much issue. It works with a hardtop, soft top, or no top. You can add many accessories to it as well. I ran 72" crossbars on it so I could carry 2-3 17' aluminum canoes without sacrificing any of the rack floor space for storing equipment.

Reactions: J.Pierce