Florida Any Good Mobile / On-Site Pre Purchase Inspectors in Miami?

recklessness

Hi all, never found this forum back when I had my 2016 JKU a few years ago, but glad to finally join! Not sure if this belongs only in the regional forums, but I'm now looking at a potential 2003 TJ purchase. The car is in fantastic shape, but the potential frame rust is what worries me. I want to get a PPI done to ensure the things I can't see wont hurt me ($$). Any recommendations for a pre-purchase inspector that will do the inspection on site? (Dealer is happy to have it done but not willing to allocate an employee to drive it over/supervise at a 3rd party shop for ~2 hours as they are a small op.)

You could also take a ton of photos and post them here. I guarantee you people will chime in with anything "off" they see.

Good luck on the purchase.

Good point. Any thoughts on the below are greatly appreciated!:
B1756A8D-33D8-4C9C-8600-BF52F7A598B1.jpeg

36C1CD12-6FDF-47B0-A70B-AEF0BF4392B4.jpeg

06057557-AF4A-4182-BA1D-B3CFC10CE207.jpeg

I personally would pass on that jeep unless the price really low and I wanted a project. The first thing that stood out to me in the first photo was the yellow numbers on the driveshaft. Typically that is done by a junkyard to inventory parts. In the second photo that frame doesn't look so great. At best, it will need a needler to get off all the flakes and some paint but could need a new frame or caps depending on how bad it is. If the outside looks like that I'd be very concerned with the inside.

Judging by all the flaking black paint on the axle, driveshafts, etc someone at some point tried to cover up the issues. I'd be very careful.

I personally would pass on that jeep unless the price really low and I wanted a project. The first thing that stood out to me in the first photo was the yellow numbers on the driveshaft. Typically that is done by a junkyard to inventory parts. In the second photo that frame doesn't look so great. At best, it will need a needler to get off all the flakes and some paint but could need a new frame or caps depending on how bad it is. If the outside looks like that I'd be very concerned with the inside.

Judging by all the flaking black paint on the axle, driveshafts, etc someone at some point tried to cover up the issues. I'd be very careful.

Thanks for the insight, which seems pretty consistent with what I'm getting on other forums. A shame considering this is the lowest-mileage TJ I've seen thus far. I really appreciate the feedback!

No worries. I'm guessing it spent a lot of time at the beach. If you can look into bringing something over from a dry state.

If you don't mind me asking how much are they trying to get for it?

No worries. I'm guessing it spent a lot of time at the beach. If you can look into bringing something over from a dry state.

If you don't mind me asking how much are they trying to get for it?

They're "asking" 16k, figured if I could negotiate down a bit it would be a great deal on such a low-mileage example (Carfax is clean too).

I used lemon squad twice now for pre-purchase inspection with good results. Only $200...and worth every penny

Here are some thoughts from a guy living in Ohio and only meant to be helpful so that you can make a choice that works for you.

I bought at 2002 TJ from a guy here local to me. It was a 5 speed, 4.0 with a perfect interior and had 77,000 miles. Mechanically sound, but it had seen its fair share of Ohio winters and road salt.

Honestly, working on it has been a chore. I have become very familiar with grinders, needle scalers, all kinds of penetrating oils, torches and my all time favorite...rust in my eyes. Each bolt/nut or nutsert on the frame or suspension has been a fight to remove. It's just not fun unless you happen to enjoy that sort of punishment.

Since that Ohio purchase, my last TJ purchases have been from Alabama, Georgia and California. These were rust free and have been a lot of fun to wrench on.

I guess if you don't plan on working on the Jeep yourself and have a trusted mechanic who will do all of the wrenching, then maybe its for you.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: sideproject