Any Heavy Readers Here?

The books I care about are all "dead tree" books - I have a dedicated Library here. But for lite reading, I love the Kindle. Even for heavy reading, I love the Kindle. When it first came out, I said to myself "If that E-ink is everything they say it is, this changes everything.". E-ink *is* everything they say it is! I REALLY wish I could get a computer monitor that uses the technology for programming and other text work.

OTOH, someone explain the apparent popularity of "Audible"? I didn't like being read to when I was a kid, and I don't like it now. Expensive too.

Regarding audible,I spend a lot of time alone working and doing things I've already done a million times. Its nice getting out of my head into stories and music whenever possible.while driving too

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueC and RINC
LoTR/Hobbit most definitely - along with Narnia, Earthsea and Katheryn Kurtz's Deryni series, although the latter is becoming tiresome due to her love of the nobility - nobody in ANY of her books that matters at all, antagonist or protagonist, is "regular people", ALWAYS nobility of one sort or another. "Regular people" AT BEST are under the patronage of a noble or on rare occasion might be someone else "important" like a police chief. With that said, her books are VERY spiritual and contain much truth, despite her apologetics for the Catholic Church.

Then there's the Silmarillion. There's NOTHING else like it on earth - although perhaps the Elder Edda comes fairly close as Tolkien was conversant with the latter.

Otherwise, its a mix of SF, fantasy, action novels (Cussler is a fave), and WW 2 history and WW 2 historical fiction - although I currently have a WW 1 history on my nightstand. Do most of my reading on Kindle these days.

The Silmarillion felt like reading Genesis in the Bible.

Reactions: Zorba
I do love to read. Seem to have less time than I used to for it.
I tend to read 3-4 at once.
Currently reading History of Christianity. Be Free or Die, Tge Cornfield, and some Dune prequels.

Last edited:
Reactions: RINC
Reading makes me sleepy and when I was regularly going to bed early (5-6pm to wake up at 1:30/2 )
I read a lot
Ann Rice vampire series (it gets super queer )
Dean Koontz
Lee Childs
Mario Puzo

I read like I listen to albums; all in a row and in correct order. I hate playlist

I'm a big fan of Larry Niven.

He has the ability to build worlds in your mind that are almost palpable.

The Expanse series of books are very good as well (so is the series).

Reactions: Rickyd and RINC
I'm a fairly heavy reader and have read most of the classics like Dante's Inferno (wow!) and mostly enjoy historical non-fiction novels and biographies. I'd have to say I'm primarily interested in that, especially if it involves the military. My last read finished a week or two ago was Tales of the South Pacific by James Michener , a WWII story about American military personnel serving in the South Pacific. Further evidence they truly were the 'Greatest Generation.' What an outstanding read, it's what the classic movie/musical South Pacific movie was based on.

I have a pretty huge library of books, I love them and have since I was a little boy. And I have to own the book, I feel better connected to it and its time than I would if it was on Kindle. By the way, the South Pacific novel I just completed was a first edition and printed in 1947 which made the story seem more real to me. Incidentally Tales of the South Pacific was based on James Michener's life in the South Pacific as a Naval Officer during WWII so most of it is from his personal experiences and people he met while serving. Right down to Bloody Mary, she was real and was from Vietnam.

Action Novels / summer reads
Lee Child (but I’ve been disappointed in his more recent ones)
Clive Cussler before he started co-writing with his kids
Daniel Silva (Gabriel Allon series)
Early Tom Clancy

Historical fiction
Ken Follett Centuries and Kingsbridge series
GrandaPa was a tail gunner in WW2 so almost anything WW2 related to the European theater and then creation of Israel
Leon Uris Exodus and Mila 18
Stephen Ambrose - band of brothers
Anthony Doerr - All the Light We Cannot See. One the best WW2 historical fiction books I’ve ever read

Dystopian
William R. Forstchen (one second after series)

I grew up Jewish Orthodox which meant until I left for College, there was no TV/Phone/Cars etc from Sundown Friday until Sundown Saturday. I was never good at math but I learned how to read a novel in an afternoon.