Any idea what brand these control arms might be?

Ataxium

Supporting Member
Long story short here, my poor TJ had its rear end ripped straight out in an accident, and I bought a new (used) one to replace it, along with a few suspension parts from the doner jeep.
I got these arms with it, which seem to be much heavier duty than the stock ones. Was planning on cleaning them up and painting them. They also have what looks to me like a Johnny joint, but I don't think these are actually Currie arms, especially since they're non adjustable.
Ive got one joint on on arm that's frozen, so I was planning on trying to punch/press it out and rebuild it, thinking the johnny joint 2" rebuild kit should work for it, but I'm not 100% sure.

IMAG0020 (1).jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024 (2).jpg

Those could be Johnny Joints, but would be the DIY type:
download (3).jpg

Looks to me like they maybe home made, I don't recognize them with the extra gussets welded on the ends. I could be wrong. Someone with more experience might be able to identify, like, @mrblaine or @toximus ?

View attachment 113539
Looks to me like they maybe home made, I don't recognize them with the extra gussets welded on the ends. I could be wrong. Someone with more experience might be able to identify, like, @mrblaine or @toximus ?
They could be the barrels welded to tube by a DIY. I can't tell because I don't know the full history of the shape of the inner ball and the step from the outer end to the ball. I know that all the JJ I have seen and use are not tapered from the step and look like the one you posted. The ones in the arms are angled and not straight as best I can tell unless that is grease and dirt build up. No way to know without pulling them apart and maybe not even then.

View attachment 113539

Doesn't look home made to me. I don't know the brand either.

so I was planning on trying to punch/press it out and rebuild it, thinking the johnny joint 2" rebuild kit should work for it

You also need the rebuild tool. It's a $100 tool so for only a few arms you might want to look at the diy tool you can make instead.

You also need the rebuild tool. It's a $100 tool so for only a few arms you might want to look at the diy tool you can make instead.
From what I understand it can be done with a ball joint press, which is what i planned on using.

Last edited:
So, I've got a little update here, got it taken apart, some more pictures.
The ball itself is about 1 1/2" in diameter. Only part number I can see is on the bushings (9310).
It looks like the Johnny joint kit should work on this, whether or not this is a legit Johnny joint. I'm gonna go ahead and order a few rebuild kits for these joints and will update when they get here.

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

Reactions: Chris
View attachment 113539

So it seems this may be the case after all. The arms themselves are definitely not currie's, but after getting them torn apart and ordering the wrong kit initially, I called up currie and had them check the part number on the bushing for me. It matched up to the 2 1/2" kit which I ordered, and it matches up perfectly.
The taper at the end of the joint does seem a bit odd though, since like mrblaine said, actual Johnny Joints tend to have the lip on the end, like in the quoted picture.

Reactions: Chris and Hook_62
Send another pic when you get them all fixed up. I'm just curious.
IMAG0035 (1).jpg
IMAG0034.jpg

So this is the arms after I got everything cleaned up, repainted, and rebuilt the joints.
Managed to get the joints put together using a balljoint press and a couple of sockets, instead of opting for the official tool that I'm likely only gonna use once.

Reactions: Hook_62