Any ideas on how to clean rust out of metal Jerry can?

Oldguy

TJ Enthusiast
I have an old metal military jerry can. I want to restore it and put it on my jeep. The inside has some rust. Any ideas on how to clean it out. Thanks guys

I have an old metal military jerry can. I want to restore it and put it on my jeep. The inside has some rust. Any ideas on how to clean it out. Thanks guys
I restore Coleman lanterns and some have rust in them. First put some machine screws in there with water and shake it as much as you can to remove scale. Then rinse it out really well. Then use alcohol to rinse that, it'll help remove water. Finally rinse with gas. I don't know if I'd spend the time and effort on a rusty gas can but that'll do it. If the bottom has more serious rust issues you can soak it overnight in evaporust after getting the scale out. Filling the whole can would cost way to much. I wouldn't use acid but I guess people do.

I restored a pair of jerry cans several years ago. I rinsed them with muriatic acid (pool cleaner) to remove the rust. Then coated the insides with fuel tank liner.

Thanks guys good info. Its really not to bad on the rust issue. Who knows if I'll ever use it for what it's for but still want to get it in decent shape

Kreem is a great product, I've been using it in motorcycle tanks for years. My personal method involves taking some machine nuts and bolts and threading them through the links in a couple feet of chain, then shaking the hell out of it w/ some water or solvent. After you get the rust out that Kreem stuff seals it up pretty good.

So this is after 24 hours of acid treatment. I've rinsed it out several times and there is nothing else loose, even though it looks it. Seem PO coated it with something also. I was thinking of using this to recoat it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3HXCZ4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

51RArnDX07L.jpg

20190910_070629.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
So this is after 24 hours of acid treatment. I've rinsed it out several times and there is nothing else loose, even though it looks it. Seem PO coated it with something also. I was thinking of using this to recoat it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3HXCZ4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 114474

View attachment 114475
That is the factory coating, I have about 5 jerry cans and they all had it. Getting a good military mount is hard to do now, the new blitz ones are like paper compared to the old ones.

Reactions: Oldguy
I got a smitty built mount, will be setting up today
Dont be suprised if it cracks with a full can of gas sloshing around sitting on it. Try to find a real mount, they weigh twice as much and are 5 times as strong. Blitz was the original makers of the cans and mounts for the military. Good luck

Does no one else realize you could simply fill it with white vinegar, let it sit over night, then shake it real hard possibly with a few nuts in it in the morning? Ive used this technique on all kinds of things from tools, can, to metal plates (before welding etc.).... Strips every bit of rust off and CHEAP!

Does no one else realize you could simply fill it with white vinegar, let it sit over night, then shake it real hard possibly with a few nuts in it in the morning? Ive used this technique on all kinds of things from tools, can, to metal plates (before welding etc.).... Strips every bit of rust off and CHEAP!

I'm sure several people do. White vinegar is acidic, just not as strong or as fast as muriatic acid. They will both do the job.

So this is after 24 hours of acid treatment. I've rinsed it out several times and there is nothing else loose, even though it looks it. Seem PO coated it with something also.
I'd buy a new can, I would never risk having the coating end up in my tank.

If your new coated can takes one hit and that stuff ends up in your tank you are probably pulling it and cleaning the fuel pickup screen. Not something I'd risk. Just find an inexpensive NATO can on ebay. Those coatings are fine on classic cars where the tank doesn't get hit or damaged in regular use.