• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Any ideas on how to clean rust out of metals Jerry can?

Oldguy

TJ Enthusiast
I have an old metal military jerry can. I want to restore it and put it on my jeep. The inside has some rust. Any ideas on how to clean it out. Thanks guys

pagrey

TJ Addict
I have an old metal military jerry can. I want to restore it and put it on my jeep. The inside has some rust. Any ideas on how to clean it out. Thanks guys
I restore Coleman lanterns and some have rust in them. First put some machine screws in there with water and shake it as much as you can to remove scale. Then rinse it out really well. Then use alcohol to rinse that, it'll help remove water. Finally rinse with gas. I don't know if I'd spend the time and effort on a rusty gas can but that'll do it. If the bottom has more serious rust issues you can soak it overnight in evaporust after getting the scale out. Filling the whole can would cost way to much. I wouldn't use acid but I guess people do.

jjvw

0-60 in 18 seconds
Supporting Member
I restored a pair of jerry cans several years ago. I rinsed them with muriatic acid (pool cleaner) to remove the rust. Then coated the insides with fuel tank liner.

Reactions: astjp2 and JLLJ
OP
Oldguy

Oldguy

TJ Enthusiast
Thanks guys good info. Its really not to bad on the rust issue. Who knows if I'll ever use it for what it's for but still want to get it in decent shape

qslim

Try putting a torch on it
Supporting Member
Kreem is a great product, I've been using it in motorcycle tanks for years. My personal method involves taking some machine nuts and bolts and threading them through the links in a couple feet of chain, then shaking the hell out of it w/ some water or solvent. After you get the rust out that Kreem stuff seals it up pretty good.

Reactions: Oldguy

astjp2

TJ Addict
So this is after 24 hours of acid treatment. I've rinsed it out several times and there is nothing else loose, even though it looks it. Seem PO coated it with something also. I was thinking of using this to recoat it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3HXCZ4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 114474

View attachment 114475
That is the factory coating, I have about 5 jerry cans and they all had it. Getting a good military mount is hard to do now, the new blitz ones are like paper compared to the old ones.

OP
Oldguy

Oldguy

TJ Enthusiast
That is the factory coating, I have about 5 jerry cans and they all had it. Getting a good military mount is hard to do now, the new blitz ones are like paper compared to the old ones.
I got a smitty built mount, will be setting up today

astjp2

TJ Addict
I got a smitty built mount, will be setting up today
Dont be suprised if it cracks with a full can of gas sloshing around sitting on it. Try to find a real mount, they weigh twice as much and are 5 times as strong. Blitz was the original makers of the cans and mounts for the military. Good luck

DWR

Does no one else realize you could simply fill it with white vinegar, let it sit over night, then shake it real hard possibly with a few nuts in it in the morning? Ive used this technique on all kinds of things from tools, can, to metal plates (before welding etc.).... Strips every bit of rust off and CHEAP!

Mr. Bills

TJ Addict
Does no one else realize you could simply fill it with white vinegar, let it sit over night, then shake it real hard possibly with a few nuts in it in the morning? Ive used this technique on all kinds of things from tools, can, to metal plates (before welding etc.).... Strips every bit of rust off and CHEAP!
I'm sure several people do. White vinegar is acidic, just not as strong or as fast as muriatic acid. They will both do the job.