Any Input: Engo Winch Model SR9S or Smittybilt 98510 X2O-10 Comp Gen 2 Winch with Synthetic Line

mikespine

Any updated input or experience on the above winches?

Engo Winch Model SR9S (American made). I can get the Engo from Metal Tech delivered for $380.

Smittybilt 98510 X2O-10 $496 (on sale) from Quadratech...maybe it will decrease a little more around July 4th.

Smittybilt does have a better warranty and Chris wrote at one time (I think) that Smittybilt would be his second choice.

WARN: I know is everyone's first choice. Thanks for any input.

Agree: Quadratec isn't the best price...but you would still recommend Smittybilt over Engo? Any particular reason why?...better performance, warranty etc- Thanks

Yes. Their warranty is actually exceptionally good. If it does break, my experience with everyone I know is that they’ll give you a new one.

However, I have repeatedly said (and I’ll stand by this), that I know a number of people who have put this winch through the ringer and back, and it has yet to break. Some of these guys I know wheel really hard too! One of them destroyed 8 Harbor Freight winches over the course of two years.

Smittybilt builds some crappy stuff for sure. But the winch doesn’t seem to be one of them.

Reactions: mikespine
I know some here like their Smittybilt winches but if it was for me, I wouldn't mount even a free Smittybilt winch. The biggest issue I have with Smittybilt, aside from them being ungodly slow, is their post-sales ability to support their winches. They are not known for stocking the parts needed to keep them working when there's a problem.

For just one example; a forum poster recently mentioned his fairly new Smittybilt winch failed and Smittybilt had to ship an entire new winch to the owner under warranty since they didn't have the replacement solenoid needed to fix it. That sounds great but remember, that winch was under warranty. Once that winch's warranty expires they're not going to ship another winch if they don't have the part needed. I'd be scared of the next failure if I was that Smittybilt winch owner.

Between Engo and Smittybilt I wouldn't hesitate a split-second to go with the Engo. Between an Engo and Warn I wouldn't waste any time buying anything but Warn. Warn is well known for their superb post-sales support. If they made it they stock the replacement parts needed to fix it no matter how old it is.

And for anyone wondering why the speed of a winch would be important, it's because not all winching is a quick short 'over the obstacle' pull. Many winch jobs are over a length of trail where the vehicle might be able to move forward unexpectedly and faster than expected under its own power for a short distance which can and will absolutely snarl a winch line if the winch wasn't able to keep up, speed-wise. It happens. Which is why better quality winches like Warn's were designed with faster line speeds under load.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikespine
I know some here like their Smittybilt winches but if it was for me, I wouldn't mount even a free Smittybilt winch. The biggest issue I have with Smittybilt, aside from them being ungodly slow

Which winch is faster, the M8000 from Warn or the H20 listed in this thread?

H20
Pull, Speed, Amps Line pull lbs(kgs) Line speed ft./min (m/min) Current (Amps)
0 39.4 (12) 96
4000 (1818) 15.7 (4.8) 279
6000 (2727) 11.0 (3.3) 385
8000 (3636) 10.2 (3.1) 440

M8000 Warn
12V DC PERFORMANCE SPECS
Line Pull Lbs.(Kgs.) Line Speed FT./min(M/min.) Motor Current
4000(1810) 11.9(3.63) 285 amps
6000(2720) 9.79(2.98) 350 amps
8000(3630) 8.01(2.44) 435 amps

If you want to believe Smittybilt's specs and want to believe it will hold up to lots of heavy loads, be my guest. Smittybilt, in practice, is well known as a slow winch... especially under load.

There are a lot of brands not many of us place much faith in. Smittybilt is right up there at the top of several I don't. Rusty's, Rough Country, Smittybilt, Skyjacker, Pulsar & E-3 spark plugs, and the notorious Tornado whose well publicized claims of greater power and mpg are still being made.

In other words, not all manufacturer's specs can be believed.

Last edited: