Any issues using Tire Rack for wheels and tires?

Don Ashcraft

TJ Enthusiast
I live really close to a Tire Rack distribution center so I can save a ton of money buying wheels and tires from them. Has anyone had any experience with them? Good or bad? Should I contact them and request they use weights on inside of wheel when balancing...etc?

you would be fine, I have used discounttiredirect.com for several sets of wheels/tires, all shipped free, mounted and balanced - no issues. I really tried to buy local but for $100 more I got 4 new wheels and new duratracs than I could get just the tires anywhere near me.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
you would be fine, I have used discounttiredirect.com for several sets of wheels/tires, all shipped free, mounted and balanced - no issues. I really tried to buy local but for $100 more I got 4 new wheels and new duratracs than I could get just the tires anywhere near me.

Well, I usually use discount tire but they don’t carry the wheel I want. Also, Tire Rack beats their price by $150. Figured they be fine but experience is experience so I figured I’d ask.

They road force balance which I've heard is the most accurate way to balance a tire

Yeah right, they seem to be pretty solid on reputation.

The only issue I had was they gave me a date that they were going to be delivered and I took the day off so they wouldn't sit outside of the front of my house, and they didn't show that day, then when I called they told me they were lost in shipping. This was a Friday and I told them I couldn't take another day off so they need to cancel my order and they showed up the next day on Saturday. They gambled that I was going to be home and they happened to be right.

Oh on the website it said it didn't come with center caps so I paid and extra 60 bucks for center caps and they came with them so now I have two sets of center caps. That was kind of a bummer.

Outside of that they were balanced perfectly and packaged up nice and came with all new lug nuts. I would definitely use them again but double check what's coming and the shipping day. I don't really care when the ship them but if they tell me they are coming on a certain day I expect them to show up that day. I have to make arrangements for that.

Thanks for the feedback @ac_
Yeah that would piss anyone off. I’m not a huge fan of ordering online for the most part. I’ve been using my local tire place for years. I just happened to be checking prices (because I am impatient and have to wait until after Xmas to buy anything lol) and saw I can save a bunch with them. Only catch is I’d have to pick them up versus have them shipped. So that could be good from what you said. I’m about 30-45 minutes away from a distribution center.

Reactions: ac_
I’ve ordered from them several times with great and quick service when items are in stock. The tires come mounted and road force balanced. You can have them shipped to a home address or to an installer. I’ve done only tires before and used the installer option at a place near me.

Looking on tirerack.com...do they mount and balance at all? looks like they recommend installers, that will cost at least $25 per tire?

If you go to the cart and “proceed” you’ll get to a point that asks if you want an installer, a direct shipment,or a discount for pickup (maybe only if close like I am).
7B6E125D-58C8-403F-B21B-F8223A916DAE.jpeg

Reactions: cliffish and mots
I’ve ordered from them several times with great and quick service when items are in stock. The tires come mounted and road force balanced. You can have them shipped to a home address or to an installer. I’ve done only tires before and used the installer option at a place near me.

Thanks for the feedback! I think I’m gonna use them.

Reactions: mots
I ordered my 33x12.5x15 Cooper STT Pros mounted on 15x8 wheels from tire rack. They arrived at my door mounted and balanced.

I paid a little more than if I had ordered the wheels and tires separately, but I felt it was worth it for the convenience.

The wheels were well protected. I would definitely order from them again.

I ordered my 33x12.5x15 Cooper STT Pros mounted on 15x8 wheels from tire rack. They arrived at my door mounted and balanced.

I paid a little more than if I had ordered the wheels and tires separately, but I felt it was worth it for the convenience.

The wheels were well protected. I would definitely order from them again.

Did they put the weights on the inside of the wheels? I'm curious if I need to reach out to them before hand; or if they avoid marring the face of the wheel normally.

Did they put the weights on the inside of the wheels? I'm curious if I need to reach out to them before hand; or if they avoid marring the face of the wheel normally.

They road forced static tape weight balanced mine (weights on the inside) I didn't even request that. I personally would have preferred the weights on the outside, but they did a perfect job with the tape weights so I was happy in the end.

if you picked a rim that doesn't have a lip they won't have any choice to weight it on the inside, Mine actually had a lip purposely so I could have weights on the outside and they didn't use them, so I think you are pretty safe.