Any Nascar fans here?

I only tune in for the road races, don't follow what's happening in the series though. Love watching the Camping World series at a road course.

I always like seeing a first time winner too, even if it’s someone I don’t necessarily like.

Reactions: jgaz
I’ve been a fan since the late 70’s. Always tended to follow a crew chief more than a driver.

Andy Petree was one of my favorites. Harry Gant’s four consecutive wins in ‘91 were due largely to Petree’s innovation.

I’m friends with most of the road crew on the 42 car.
Also friends with the car chief (Chris Sherwood) on the 20 car that won last Sunday. They all have dinner at our NASCAR camp on Saturday night when they come to Phoenix.

This was a gift last November from the 42 crew. It came off last year‘s car after a wreck at Texas.
8908EC13-A739-430E-9A5D-7CFEB796D54E.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been a fan since the early 80's when I was kid. Never got to go to a race until '90 though. I live about 45 minutes from Darlington and was at that September race when Harry Gant won. I always liked him. My dad would come down from WV for every Darlington weekend. We went to every Busch, Winston Cup and even a couple IROC races at Darlington all through the '90s. In '94 we went to 11 different Winston Cup races, including the inaugural Brickyard 400 and the 2nd Michigan race were Ernie Irvan almost died in that practice wreck. We heard about it on the radio on the way there Saturday afternoon and shortly after passed the team hauler as it was heading back south. We also went to all the Th Winston All Star races from '90 through 2000. It was always fun going with my dad and then taking my son along too in the late 90's when he was old enough to handle the all-day affair. I've not been to a race since the early 2000's when my dad got sick. After he passed away, I just didn't have the desire to go again. It wasn't just the race, it was a fun time with him. I rarely miss a race on TV though, or at least streaming it or on XM if traveling. It's really the only sport I like, even though a lot of people don't consider it a sport.

Reactions: jgaz and Apparition
@MountaineerTom Small world. I was at the track in Michigan that Saturday when Irvan almost died.

I took my son to the June Sunday race at MIS from the time he was 8 years old until he was 16. For the first few years he would stand on the bleacher seat the whole race so he could see. He would put his hand on my shoulder to steady himself.

Even though he’s almost 40 now we seldom miss a race here in Phoenix. As you said it’s as much about the people and renewing friendships as the race.

Reactions: MountaineerTom