Any one tried Cooper ST-Max/ Kuhmo MT51 or BFG AT T/A KO2

Verl

Supporting Member
I'm looking at new tires size 285/75R16 the different reviews are all varied.. Any input will help. My TJ Wrangler needs help. I'm past the rough hard trails, just looking for traction and minimal road noise. Thx

I have the BFG A/Ts and love them. Dont think you can wrong with them.

And they say "Baja Champion" on the side. Who wouldn't want to be a champion? LOL

In all seriousness, I just got the KO2s and they ride as great as they look. Not really a white letter out kind of guy, but I had to have these on my Jeep with the white letters out since I thought they looked so good. Hopefully they'll last me a good while. I don't put many miles on my vehicles though. Got mine from Tirerack along with new wheels and they are balanced perfectly, couldn't be happier with the choice.

Reactions: Matt77
I have Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx tires on a non-jeep 4x4 I own. I currently have about 30,000 miles on them and based on the wear thus far I anticipate 40,000 miles before the tread is down to 4/32. They have performed well on multiple 1,000+ mile trips, offroading in the Cascades, Sierra Nevada Mountains, the Black Rock Desert, Death Valley, a 12-day cross-country overland trip in Oregon, and two trips to Moab. Although marketed as a commercial traction tire they can be accurately described as an aggressive AT tire with tough 3-ply sidewalls. I have nothing bad to say about them other than they tend to become more noisy as they wear, but that is a common phenomenon with any open void tire and can be kept in check by regular rotations at 4,000 mile intervals. You should be aware that nearly all (if not all) ST/Maxx tire sizes are E load rated so they will be a bit stiff for lighter jeeps, but that too can be addressed by not over inflating them. A set of ST/Maxx is usually much less expensive than a set of BFG AT tires, which makes them a great value considering how well they perform.

Don't rule out the GoodYear Duratrac in the 285/75r16 as well. Although also a E rated tire, its only a 2Ply sidewall. Ive had mine for a while now and like the ride on road and they do good off road as well. Not too loud and good aggressive looks.

I have KO2s and just drove from Virginia to Colorado and back with several trips over various passes (Black Bear, Ophir, Taylor, Pearl, Devil's Bowl, Montezuma's Basin) and was very pleased with their performance