Any recommendations on tightening up the steering on my 2001 TJ?

flbuckeyefan

OK...so I put on new tie rods and steering damper. Had it aligned. I still have a fair amount of play in the steering wheel. The vehicle only has 60K miles so I am hesitant about changing the steering box. Any other recommendations to tighten up the steering? Mike

pcS082jRE_FAR7t-9UqnRgZ5w_mY8hKkJEhyDIghQ&usqp=CAc.png

Decent chance the slop is in your steering box or possibly the steering shaft. Have a friend move the wheel until they feel resistance, and see if you can tell what's moving but not actually "driving" the steering. Somebody here recently found some play in a U joint in the steering shaft. I don't remember if they were able to fix it or not.

• Wow
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Decent chance the slop is in your steering box or possibly the steering shaft. Have a friend move the wheel until they feel resistance, and see if you can tell what's moving but not actually "driving" the steering. Somebody here recently found some play in a U joint in the steering shaft. I don't remember if they were able to fix it or not.

Thanks a ton...I will do exactly that!!!

Thanks a ton...I will do exactly that!!!

So....I did what you suggested...the steering shafts turn fine, they both move simultaneously (no slop there that I can see)...so I guess I am stuck with the steering box...darn it!!!

It's important to bleed all of the trapped air out of the steering system after replacing the steering box before starting the engine. Jack up the front end just enough so you can fully cycle the steering left-right-left 20-25 times to get the air out. If you don't the trapped air can cause cavitation which can damage the power steering pump.

I’m having a similar issue on my 01 with sloppy steering. I thought I had seen some info on adjusting the steering box. But I’m not seeing this discussed here. Is that not worth while?

I’m having a similar issue on my 01 with sloppy steering. I thought I had seen some info on adjusting the steering box. But I’m not seeing this discussed here. Is that not worth while?

No. That changes the lash in the steering gear. If your shafts internally are already worn, that is merely a short term fix that will quickly revert back to poor steering. Only options are a remanufactured box (NAPA, stock) or PSC.

Reactions: BlueC
No. That changes the lash in the steering gear. If your shafts internally are already worn, that is merely a short term fix that will quickly revert back to poor steering. Only options are a remanufactured box (NAPA, stock) or PSC.

Additionally, the steering gear wears unevenly. It wears the most where the steering spends the most of its time. Wheels straight. When the lash is adjusted to tighten up straight line driving, the gear will begin to bind up the further it is turned into the less worn portion of the steering. One problem is addressed while creating another.

Since you guys are talking rebuilt boxes, how about rebuilding at home? Is that practical?

Since you guys are talking rebuilt boxes, how about rebuilding at home? Is that practical?

You can replace the seals if it is leaking. Otherwise if the shafts are worn the only place that I am aware of that offers new shafts would be Power Lee Steering, I believe they can supply in-house machined shafts. Though it has been a minute since I last researched it.

Seal rebuild video:

Reactions: hear and BlueC
Might want to diagnose everything first with a good dry steering test- even a loose track bar can defeat the steering.

Maybe I’m wrong but it seems like we jumped into replacing the gearbox on a vehicle with 60,000 miles....Diagnose first then replace.

One time I had a loose Pitman arm.

Last edited:
So....I did what you suggested...the steering shafts turn fine, they both move simultaneously (no slop there that I can see)...so I guess I am stuck with the steering box...darn it!!!

To be clear, you're saying that the steering wheel has a ton of play before any actual steering components start to move? That sounds like a worn steering box to me. But to AndyG's point, cranking the wheel over left & right while looking at ALL the steering components can show you lots of other looming problems. Ball joints, track bar, tie rod ends, etc. Look for movement in those areas too.

To be clear, you're saying that the steering wheel has a ton of play before any actual steering components start to move? That sounds like a worn steering box to me. But to AndyG's point, cranking the wheel over left & right while looking at ALL the steering components can show you lots of other looming problems. Ball joints, track bar, tie rod ends, etc. Look for movement in those areas too.

Don’t forget to check for any movement between the steering wheel and the steering gear as well. Any movement is too much. It takes only a small bit of slop in any of the components to result in a lot of play in the wheel.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford