Any retro CJ style TJs out there?

My flat fenders are more faithful to the original MB/GPW fenders than anything else I've seen for the TJ,

View attachment 205702

View attachment 205703

View attachment 205704

The story behind mine: a few years ago through my membership in SEMA I go to know and be friends with Tom Troll, one of the founders and president of Kentrol. At the time Kentrol was big in the fiberglass Jeep parts business - tubs, fenders, etc. and in a conversation with him one time when I was visiting their fiberglass manufacturing I suggested MB/GPW-style flat fenders for the TJ could be a popular product. He liked the idea a lot and gave me a pair of fiberglass MB/GPW flat fenders to use as a starting point for the mold masters for a TJ set. I sectioned those fenders and lengthened/widened them as necessary to properly fit the TJ and for compliance with modern laws I added a recess in the sides to fit a CJ side marker light, but other than that they're basically resized MB/GPW fenders to fit the TJ. I turned the mold masters over to Kentrol and they began work making their production molds from my masters. While that was going on, Tom decided it was time for him to retire so he began looking for a buyer for the company. To bring this long story to an end, what ended up was him selling the hardware part of the company and shutting down the fiberglass operation, so these fenders never made it to production. He gave me the mold masters back, so I've got them but I've never done anything with them.

I also did a JK/JKU version of them and they've been on my JKU for years but the TJ version has never been used.

View attachment 205705

View attachment 205706
JL style grille is much nicer than the JK one.

Hey everyone! Just wondering if there are any TJs or LJs out there with a “CJ touch”?

I saw this gray TJ on you tube a couple of years ago (very nice).

I was really wanting a CJ7, but got a TJ due to the aftermarket support.
Since I love the CJ models, I decided to do a CJ8 inspired TJ.
It has CJ7 running lights converted to blinkers/runners, old school headlight rock guards, front TJ fender blinker delete, aluminum wheels painted black with bullet hub caps (I tried to get the old school wagon wheel look without the weight), CJ8 inspired sticker “Scrambler” with ”SB EdItion” (stands for Short Bed Edtion), CJ style roll bar and CJ8 top.

I have a warn m8274 that is going on next. Then I plan on doing the CJ tailgate conversation and adding some old school KC lights.

The only things I “might” do, is weld the side of a CJ front fender to the TJ fender sides to get the CJ side markers/flares/body lines and weld the center section of a CJ hood into the TJ hood. I may also do the grill modification like in the you tube video above because I like the pop out headlight look and curved grill portion around them, but that is on the bottom of the list.
I’m also looking into welding CJ7 wing windows into the TJ full doors, but can’t bring myself to destroying Cj7 and TJ Doors (but I’m on the look out for some damage ones, but still a bit cost prohibitive).

Roll cage is a PS front with custom B and C pillars (Desert Fab Motorsports did the work). There is a C-notch where the C Pillar attaches to the B pillar so the C pillars can be removed to install/remove the CJ8 top. Both the OEM soft top (B pillar is drilled for OEM bow brackets) and hard top still fit even with speaker bar moved forward.

As for the CJ8 top, I had to shorten the front about 1.5inches and split the upper sides above the windows, then trim near the B pillars to get it to fit. Then l fiberglassed a metal front latch system to secure the front of the top to the windshield.
The Best part, no more annoying wind noise!

Kozaz

89DDB076-1D61-4851-AAE8-4A15D2DD77DE.jpeg

7014788B-1F79-439B-8EE5-87EA2A88CB61.jpeg

C49FBAC9-CCB4-4AC4-A492-4AF65E27DABC.jpeg

C6DCC25F-1721-4CB4-A6E8-9D70D546FD05.jpeg

84796AB9-A35F-40A8-AEE1-6E7913D4A240.jpeg

DBE06D92-CEB8-4D05-98C0-3EBE31D428B5.jpeg

Last edited:
My flat fenders are more faithful to the original MB/GPW fenders than anything else I've seen for the TJ,

View attachment 205702

View attachment 205703

View attachment 205704

The story behind mine: a few years ago through my membership in SEMA I go to know and be friends with Tom Troll, one of the founders and president of Kentrol. At the time Kentrol was big in the fiberglass Jeep parts business - tubs, fenders, etc. and in a conversation with him one time when I was visiting their fiberglass manufacturing I suggested MB/GPW-style flat fenders for the TJ could be a popular product. He liked the idea a lot and gave me a pair of fiberglass MB/GPW flat fenders to use as a starting point for the mold masters for a TJ set. I sectioned those fenders and lengthened/widened them as necessary to properly fit the TJ and for compliance with modern laws I added a recess in the sides to fit a CJ side marker light, but other than that they're basically resized MB/GPW fenders to fit the TJ. I turned the mold masters over to Kentrol and they began work making their production molds from my masters. While that was going on, Tom decided it was time for him to retire so he began looking for a buyer for the company. To bring this long story to an end, what ended up was him selling the hardware part of the company and shutting down the fiberglass operation, so these fenders never made it to production. He gave me the mold masters back, so I've got them but I've never done anything with them.

I also did a JK/JKU version of them and they've been on my JKU for years but the TJ version has never been used.

View attachment 205705

View attachment 205706

Thanks for sharing that story, Jeff. It is really a shame that Kentrol decided to get out of the business right at that time. These fenders are so nicely done and the proportions are really great. I really wish they had gone to production!

Along the same lines let's see if @Hog can post the "scrambled"
Scrambler tribute Jeep they had at this year's Jeep Invasion. It was a looker.