Any retro CJ style TJs out there?

there's a guy on ebay (username rodslama) that about twice a year will make up about half a dozen or so and sell them.

The problem is that he seems to have some fairly wide manufacturing tolerances so they work for some people and not for others. I'm in the second group.

For mine, the flattened spot that rides in the gate wasn't tall enough, so the rod interferes with the gate before it gets all the way forward in 2-HI. Also, the hole for the retaining pin was not the correct distance from the bend in the rod, which allowed the rod to shift forward and the bend would contact the inside of the housing before getting all the way forward in 2-hi. I've addressed both of these issues, but what I'm dealing with now is though it works fine with no center console in place, when I put the console in, the rod contacts the rear edge of the opening in the console before falling all the way home into 4-low. It'll go in if I really slam it back, but it puts pressure on the console, eventually popping it back out of 4-low which happened about 3 times over a 3-day wheeling trip I took in August. I suspect the fix will be heating it up and putting a forward bend in it to get it to clear.
Ditto this. Mine just kisses the plastic - I'm planning on dog legging mine forward as well.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I have put a few CJ-esque touches on my LJ. Side mirrors, turn signals in the grille (OK, they're JK units, but they're in the right place), and some old school knobs on the tranny and transfer case shifters.

20190816_172258.jpg

345.jpg

I have CJ mirrors, tailgate, and CJ style roll bar.

View attachment 195606

View attachment 195607
HEY! I've been wanting to do this too actually literally same exact setup. I have a few questions though. Roll bar, did you just cut grind and re-weld? How difficult was the job? Thinking of getting a friend over with a few beers and doing that.
Did it limit your space in anyway having the roll bar like that? What about soft top? you use one? Hard top?
also the tire carrier in the tub... what's your solution for that? just a prerunner bolt on application or ? did it limit your space a lot? like can you carry a cooler? I swear this is what I want so badly lol i love it man!!

HEY! I've been wanting to do this too actually literally same exact setup. I have a few questions though. Roll bar, did you just cut grind and re-weld? How difficult was the job? Thinking of getting a friend over with a few beers and doing that.
Did it limit your space in anyway having the roll bar like that? What about soft top? you use one? Hard top?
also the tire carrier in the tub... what's your solution for that? just a prerunner bolt on application or ? did it limit your space a lot? like can you carry a cooler? I swear this is what I want so badly lol i love it man!!

The only part of the stock roll bar that I cut out was the rear family style part. I still used the B post (one with seat belts). Cut out the old, weld in the new. Has no bearing on soft top use. How would that limit space? Also, the rear seat has been removed....if I intended to use it I would have kept the roll bar original. I fabbed the tire carrier in the tub. If I had to do it over again, I would make it 6-8" taller to allow for more storage underneath it. Below are the videos to the build process.

Reactions: zebra12
The only part of the stock roll bar that I cut out was the rear family style part. I still used the B post (one with seat belts). Cut out the old, weld in the new. Has no bearing on soft top use. How would that limit space? Also, the rear seat has been removed....if I intended to use it I would have kept the roll bar original. I fabbed the tire carrier in the tub. If I had to do it over again, I would make it 6-8" taller to allow for more storage underneath it. Below are the videos to the build process.

Can limit vertical space you know if you stack things bar can get in the way.
I too don’t use my rear seat first thing I did was take it out.
Well seems easy enough that I can do this soon just need to make up my mind on future plans.

Your youtube channel is a great watch.

I really like that.

@Chris you saw this?

@jscherb would your TJ flat fenders have looked like this by any chance?
My flat fenders are more faithful to the original MB/GPW fenders than anything else I've seen for the TJ,

FlatfenderMockup1b.jpg

FlatfenderMockup2.jpg

FlatfenderMockup4.jpg

The story behind mine: a few years ago through my membership in SEMA I go to know and be friends with Tom Troll, one of the founders and president of Kentrol. At the time Kentrol was big in the fiberglass Jeep parts business - tubs, fenders, etc. and in a conversation with him one time when I was visiting their fiberglass manufacturing I suggested MB/GPW-style flat fenders for the TJ could be a popular product. He liked the idea a lot and gave me a pair of fiberglass MB/GPW flat fenders to use as a starting point for the mold masters for a TJ set. I sectioned those fenders and lengthened/widened them as necessary to properly fit the TJ and for compliance with modern laws I added a recess in the sides to fit a CJ side marker light, but other than that they're basically resized MB/GPW fenders to fit the TJ. I turned the mold masters over to Kentrol and they began work making their production molds from my masters. While that was going on, Tom decided it was time for him to retire so he began looking for a buyer for the company. To bring this long story to an end, what ended up was him selling the hardware part of the company and shutting down the fiberglass operation, so these fenders never made it to production. He gave me the mold masters back, so I've got them but I've never done anything with them.

I also did a JK/JKU version of them and they've been on my JKU for years but the TJ version has never been used.

Final9_zpskrsfvgbv.jpg

Final1_zpsrgyqvdzj.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Zorba
I'm on this site every day except for the couple times I was out of town in the past 2.5 years so I have no idea how I missed this thread in mid October and early November, but I'm glad it popped up again because this thread is another example of jscherb making me wish I had 1/10 of his ability to make stuff like he does.

The other CJ inspired Jeeps are somewhat beyond me too but at least I removed the milk jugs and Dagmars from the bumper and succeeded at these JK turn signals while my ability at filling in the fenders is far from what I'd call bodywork. I think the narrower tires help my CJ-ish looks too
IMG_20200429_122812104_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Zorba
Damn, I remember seeing your tops years ago, and never knew the inspiration! I too always thought they were Rover inspired...
They would be Rover inspired, that’s why they were on export models to compete with Land Rover built vehicles in other parts of the world.