Any thoughts on this oil leak?

Cooper Smith

Waiting for my 4.0...
Supporting Member
IMG_1775.jpeg

I have a 2.4 and I am trying to trace this oil leak. Doesn’t look like it’s running from the front main. Oil pressure sensor? Just an oil pan? Bottom of the starter has some on it too.

IMG_1779.jpeg

IMG_1778.jpeg

IMG_1777.jpeg

IMG_1772.jpeg

I'm not familiar enough with any 4 cyl Jeep engine to tell where exactly some of those pictures are aimed at but you may have more than one leak. I also see that what I believe is the front edge of the oil pan has been kinda crushed somehow by something which may cause oil pan gasket leaks but not the leaks from higher up.

I'm not familiar enough with any 4 cyl Jeep engine to tell where exactly some of those pictures are aimed at but you may have more than one leak. I also see that what I believe is the front edge of the oil pan has been kinda crushed somehow by something which may cause oil pan gasket leaks but not the leaks from higher up.

That’s actually a good point. I didn’t see that. The balancer looks a little newer and I’m pretty sure the timing belt was done. Probably happened then.

In your first pic the underside of the powersteering pump(?) Looks pretty oily? Rule of thumb with engine compartment leaks is that the highest up and furthest forward part that is oily should be scrutinized. The oil will collect low and back.

In your first pic the underside of the powersteering pump(?) Looks pretty oily? Rule of thumb with engine compartment leaks is that the highest up and furthest forward part that is oily should be scrutinized. The oil will collect low and back.

Yeah, I was confused on that as well. My power steering system is ATF (It's an 03 but you knew that cause it's a 2.4, just saying for reference bc older TJ's used power steering fluid). That fluid is like REALLY dark on the PS pump, but the fluid in the reservoir is still reddish pink. I just don't know what up there that would leak.