Any thoughts on twin cylinder air compressors?

Two most important specs when looking for an air compressor is CFM and duty cycle.
X2. Too many air compressor manufacturers boast about how much PSI they can produce but few talk about their CFM rating which is the only rating that is important to how fast (or slow) the tires air up.

And a few are known to post totally misleading CFM ratings. A CFM rating is only valid/usable if it was measured while pumping into resistance, like refilling a tire. Giving a CFM rating like 2 CFM at 30 psi is valid and useful, saying it can put out 3 CFM without giving a pressure it was measured at is bogus.

Your lungs can push out 5 CFM into open air. But can you use your lungs to produce 10 CFM while blowing that air into resistance like what a compressor has to pump against when refilling a tire? Nope.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney and Daryl
You actually need 3 specs. CFM at a given PSI and then duty cycle. Lots of stuff puts out a high CFM at low PSI. Bring the PSI up and the CFM goes way down. Not good for much.
Yup, normally x amount of cfm @ 90psi.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Yup, normally x amount of cfm @ 90psi.
I've not seen a Jeep type compressor with any CFM rating at 90 psi. The only ones I've seen were either at 10 psi or 30 psi. They wouldn't rated it at 90 psi because automotive/Jeep tires aren't inflated to 90 psi.

The benefit of twin compressors VS a single compressor of the same output is that having 2 smaller ones provides a redundancy.

I've not seen a Jeep type compressor with any CFM rating at 90 psi. The only ones I've seen were either at 10 psi or 30 psi. They wouldn't rated it at 90 psi because automotive/Jeep tires aren't inflated to 90 psi.
🤔 , my York 210 is rated at 4cfm@90psi. It’s an industry standard when rating air compressors.

Last edited:
🤔 , my York 210 is rated at 4cfm@90psi. It’s an industry standard when rating air compressors.
True for big compressors. The CFM for my big belt-driven shop compressor is rated at 90 psi and so was my York F210. When I mentioned 10 and 30 psi for CFM ratings it was what had seen used on small electric compressors commonly used with Jeeps, when I could even find what the CFM was rated at. The worst of them were rated at 0 psi.

Yes, several years ago and it has been flawless. I have not been able to run it out of air even using my Dynabrade right angle die grinder.
Same here. Bought mine 24 years ago at a farm show. I’ve never had a single problem with it.