Any tips on replacing the fuel pump?

I feel there are two things that could possibly be a PIA about replacing the fuel pump:
1. Dropping the tank.
2. Removing the fuel pump retaining ring.
The rest is easy.

These are easy. I do however cuss like a sailor every time I have to break a filler tube free for the first time in almost 20 years! :mad:

Reactions: jeepins
Removing and replacing the retaining ring is easy with a big strap wrench. Be aware that most strap wrenches are not big enough but but they're available. I found mine in the plumbing dept. of Home Depot, they were too small in the tool department.
I did the same! When I dropped my tank I noticed one of the vent tubes cracked so I ran to the parts store to get replacement hose and a bigass strap wrench at the same time.

I bought a genright fuel pump access floor panel. A little cutting and the panel fit flush to floor. Made it easy to remove pump and reinstall. Did it twice as the first lasted as long as the warranty.
learned my lesson about cheap pumps.

Reactions: Bigfoot-NM
I bought a genright fuel pump access floor panel. A little cutting and the panel fit flush to floor. Made it easy to remove pump and reinstall. Did it twice as the first lasted as long as the warranty.
learned my lesson about cheap pumps.
I'm toying with the idea of this as well - how do you like it overall? Any problems, ease of installation, leak-proof, blah, blah, blah?

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Comes with a cutting template. Used a cutting wheel be cause its a little shallow. Frame work was sealed then screwed down. I have no back seat but still would not be a problem.