Any way to improve gas mileage?

Travis Higginbotham

I have an 02 Tj with the 4.0 on 33s and I have a 3 inch suspension lift and 2 inch body lift. I get like 13 mpg on a good day, is there any way to improve that?

Buy a Prius...

Or pull the lifts
get stock rubber
get 3.07s....

Learn to hyper mile...
I can get 19mpg if I stay under 60mph and never use the brakes.
I have 33s, 4.10s, 2" lift....

My old YJ with 33s, 2" lift and 3.07s got 25mpg.. even at 75mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Other than taking it easy on the skinny pedal? As long as you have a good set of spark plugs (autolite APP985 for you)clean air filter, and the exhaust system is good not much you can do. Depending on your mileage you may also consider new NGK/NTK O2 sensors. Normally the cheapest place to buy the sensors is from www.rockauto.com

3965904736048015 is a 5% discount code for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
Honest to god, the best way to improve your mileage is driving style and to make sure that your engine is running properly. Other than that, these TJs have the aerodynamics of a barn on wheels.

My suggestion is to buy a daily driver if you can afford it. We have a daily driver and it allows us to use the TJ as a weekend fun vehicle.

Reactions: Woodstock67
Agree with Billiebob. My old TJ with 3.07 gears easily got awesome mpg. It was the first year 97 and had pretty small tires. It was zippy, fast and felt so light. I loved it, was my first jeep so it was awesome, even with small tires. Used to be on the Jeep site. Tall gearing is for best mpg. All about compromising. I'd love to lift mine and get some 35's, but I'd rather not throw all that money away. Not so much the mods, but being reminded of it everytime I'd fill up, lol. Maybe if I win the powerball tonight!.

All the things many jeep guys do, Tires with deep tread like mudders, lifts, spacers all push mpg into the gutter. If you want to improve mpg, reverse some of them. figure out ways to lighten her up. Even simply airing up tires a bit higher helps. Tires make a big difference. Look for less rolling resistance, make the jeep shorter/less lift to decrease resistance. But also use common sense, drive like there's an egg under the skinny pedal, on a stick, I use neutral a lot to coast and not burn a lot of fuel. IBut if you spend money to un-mod something, how long till you even recoup that back in savings? Maybe just live with how it is or get something else if it's too costly.

Reactions: Travis Higginbotham