Any way to tell if this is a NP241 or NP241OR transfer case?

wmblore

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyway to tell which TC this is? Supposedly came out of an 07 wrangler unlimited. Don’t remember what thread I read but I thought the “or” is better/stronger. Is this a Bolt up replacement for my 2002.

Anyway to tell which TC this is? Supposedly came out of an 07 wrangler unlimited. Don’t remember what thread I read but I thought the “or” is better/stronger. Is this a Bolt up replacement for my 2002.

CB78B565-4580-487A-9567-1A38C5FE399E.png

the OR for TJ/JK Rubicon models is 4:1 ... that is 2.72:1

Reactions: nk24
Anyway to tell which TC this is?

Need more info or a picture or something. The 241 came in Rubicons. Some Rubicons are also Unlimiteds (LJ). So it could be a 231 (non-Rubicon) or a 241 (Rubicon). The fact that it was unlimited provides no useful info on which of the the 2 possible TCs.

All TJ 241 model TCs are 4:1 and only came in Rubicons.

A true NP241OR transfer case will be at least $1500, sometimes more. They aren't cheap, that's for sure.

Need more info or a picture or something. The 241 came in Rubicons. Some Rubicons are also Unlimiteds (LJ). So it could be a 231 (non-Rubicon) or a 241 (Rubicon). The fact that it was unlimited provides no useful info on which of the the 2 possible TCs.

All TJ 241 model TCs are 4:1 and only came in Rubicons.
Sorry, picture showed up in the next post. I knew it was a 241 but looks like it is not the "or" w/ 4to1

If the picture in post #2 is the TC, that is a Rubicon TC and it has the 4:1 low range.

Mine has the exact same tag on it. They don't put the "OR" on the tag.

If the picture in post #2 is the TC, that is a Rubicon TC and it has the 4:1 low range.

Mine has the exact same tag on it. They don't put the "OR" on the tag.
It was mentioned above that the ratio on the tag shows 2.72 to 1 therefore it is not the 4 to 1. Not arguing, just trying to understand.

You can easily verify the 4:1 by shifting it into 4L, turn input 4 turns, output should be 1 turn.

Oh crap. Sorry, didn't see that. What came with a 241 besides the Rubicon?

Now I need to go look at mine again but I might not be able to see the bottom part of my tag

OK I cannot see the bottom of my tag. The compressors are blocking it. Any 241 in a TJ is 4:1 as far as I know.

Is the TC in question from a TJ? If not, it's unlikely to bolt up without some adapting anyway. I'm not sure if a 241 from a JK will even work without some adapting.

And after some quick research, some non-Jeep vehicles did have some version of a 241. So, again, if it's not from a TJ, I would not expect it to work without some headaches and may not be 4:1.

And just an FYI, not all TJ Rubicons came with the 241OR transfer case.

If you're sure about that, please elaborate. That would certainly be news to me and probably quite a few others. Was that a Canadian special edition situation or something?

You can easily verify the 4:1 by shifting it into 4L, turn input 4 turns, output should be 1 turn.
dealing with seller over the phone
OK I cannot see the bottom of my tag. The compressors are blocking it. Any 241 in a TJ is 4:1 as far as I know.

Is the TC in question from a TJ? If not, it's unlikely to bolt up without some adapting anyway. I'm not sure if a 241 from a JK will even work without some adapting.

And after some quick research, some non-Jeep vehicles did have some version of a 241. So, again, if it's not from a TJ, I would not expect it to work without some headaches and may not be 4:1.
Only info. I had was the photo of the tag and seller said it was from an 2007 wrangler unlimited.