Anybody coming here from an FJ Cruiser?

Well, I currently own both. I picked up my 05 LJ a couple weeks ago and still have my FJ Cruiser that I've had for 6yrs (will most likely sell it at some point for a proper daily driver). With my FJ I set out to build an all around vehicle but also tended to lean on the go fast desert racing side. Unfortunately speed is expensive so I kept my build pretty mild. They are very capable and fun to drive but like all vehicles they aren't perfect. For me, I like variety, I'm not someone who buys only Jeep or Toyota, etc.; or who puts down others who buy different from me. As long as people are getting out there and having fun and helping others when needed, then it's all good.

Well, I currently own both. I picked up my 05 LJ a couple weeks ago and still have my FJ Cruiser that I've had for 6yrs (will most likely sell it at some point for a proper daily driver). With my FJ I set out to build an all around vehicle but also tended to lean on the go fast desert racing side. Unfortunately speed is expensive so I kept my build pretty mild. They are very capable and fun to drive but like all vehicles they aren't perfect. For me, I like variety, I'm not someone who buys only Jeep or Toyota, etc.; or who puts down others who buy different from me. As long as people are getting out there and having fun and helping others when needed, then it's all good.

View attachment 76948

For 'go fast" off road fun, me and my wife roll our Polaris Rzr. For slow and go everywhere, and anywhere, and any "end of the world as we know it " situation, it's the Jeeps.

I’m a Toyota fan. We currently a well sorted and mildly built 5th gen 4Runner. She wanted a FJ, but after driving one, the blind spots are horrible, it was quirky in the door design and we have three kids. The 4Runner won out.

I had to screen capture these off my IG page as I didn’t have them on my phone....but these are the past Toyota rugs I built and they were the last generations of Toyota’s that gave Jeep a run for the money when it came to hardcore off-roading. All these rigs had ARB’s, winches, beadlocks, 35-37” tires, chromo axles and much more.

When it came time for another rig to go further than the 4Runner?

I bought another TJ. Sorry Toyota. You fail at hardcore Offroad rigs these days!

95810A0D-A04F-4369-8914-36B4E09492AE.jpeg

819ABE0E-9602-4217-A35C-A9CC97BA251D.png

7878CAEC-2E65-4785-A517-ED3852E3E869.png

20D8D356-43BF-4F9E-8212-3672C430E67C.png

70E7A70F-1D9E-4154-92A8-9235FB41B8E2.jpeg

Reactions: Mikester86 and JMT
Nice looking Toyota's.

Here's the deal in my thinking between a Jeep and a Toyota for off-roading (excepting the old Cruisers): Break Over Angles, especially behind the rear tires, but also the SWB. I have gone over so many obstacles where you get so vertical that your rear end is going to scrape good, even on a TJ, but if I were to drive a Toyota up one of those I simply couldn't do it. Granted, some have better rear breakover than others, but none get close to the TJ (excepting the old Cruisers).

This is an interesting comparison chart. Stock TJR wins most categories that matter for off-road.

http://www.fuzzymuzzle.com/Car/Vehicle_Comparison/comparison.htm

Reactions: Rick Flair
Well, besides articulation, the problem with IFS , such as the FJCruiser, is the variable minimum ground clearance.
Solid axle vehicles minimal central ground clearance is the pumpkin. On IFS it's the engine / front dif skid plates. Crank up those IFS torsion bars and you might get 12" ground clearance! But it's a constantly changing dimension.
Considering that tire deflection is the same.... and we're talking stockish vehicles... not purpose built KOH rigs... although the basic principle applies.
When driving over rough terrain the minimum ground clearance at the pumkin on a solid axle remains the same.
On IFS the minimum ground clearance is always changing. At at the worst time.
I've owned IFS Toyota's, Mitsubishi's, and such. Destroyed many engine skids. Seriously slamming the frame on rocks and such.
On my TJs, YJs, Super Dutys and all solid axle vehicles I have owned... I can't ever remember slamming the frame btwn the front wheels. Or even the pumpkin or axle except when rock crawling at slow speeds. Because the minimum ground clearance btwn the wheels doesn't change with suspension travel on a solid axle.
So, solid axles on a new Toyota would seriously damage Jeeps hold on the market. Why they don't import them to the states is my question.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Those FJs are some funny looking vehicles. I have a buddy who's into them, but I'll never understand the fascination.

People always knock Jeeps for their reliability, but I've found it to be the complete opposite. They're as simple as an old farm tractor, and very rarely do things go wrong.

While I prefer Jeeps. Definition: any 4.0 or prior Chrysler or AMC military style box type thing descended from the 1940’s, I do think FJ’s are reliable vehicles