Anybody coming here from an FJ Cruiser?

@psrivats likes the white roof too, so you aren't alone.

I think the white tops look awesome in the old FJ4x vehicles, it's part of the oldschool image. It looks somewhat out of place in the new ones, but it was a intentional design element, just like the bumper and the Toyota logo on the front on the newer vehicles. As such, I think it's ok.

Reactions: Squatch and Chris
I think the white tops look awesome in the old FJ4x vehicles, it's part of the oldschool image. It looks somewhat out of place in the new ones, but it was a intentional design element, just like the bumper and the Toyota logo on the front on the newer vehicles. As such, I think it's ok.
Kinda like the white roof on 60's Mini Coopers copied on the newer BMW owned ones......I like the idea of it but the new FJ looks nothing like the older ones so I cant see the point..:thinking:

Reactions: alittleoff
Well I'm only 19 but have had a 1990 ford ranger, an 86 Comanche, and a 07 dakota and now currently have-ish an fj cruiser (girlfriend's) and my tj that's a 4 banger. Gotta say that my 4 banger tj has been wayyy better and far more reliable than her fj. The fj only has 135,000 on the clock and the second day of owning it, the CEL came on. Has gone off for 4 days max and just keeps coming up with new codes. In addition to that, my fj has the extremely documented torque converter shudder that tons and tons of people have that toyota refuses to recall. Overall cannot say I would choose an fj over a tj, even if it was free. The fj's sensors are extremely picky. Pretty nice interior if you own a 2007-2010 fj but if you have a 2011 or up, the interior is shit because they never changed the interior. IT'S LITERALLY THE EXACT SAME INTERIOR FROM 2007-2014!!!! Not a single thing changed on the interior besides adding some more airbags. I do like the ride of an fj but it does have independent front suspension so you can't really compare it to a tj, it's apples and oranges. I do like the matching TRD roofs more but I respect the white roof tribute they tried to do for the original fjs.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Chris
I like the idea of the FJ but I wouldn't own one. Or any Toyota for that matter but that is just my personal preference. I don't understand the bad reliability rap about TJs either. I have had mine for about 13-ish years and over 90,000 miles using it as a Jeep should be and never had any reliability problems with it. Any problem I may have had were brought on by me and not the fault of the Jeep. Most of the people I know with TJs have been very lucky as well with very little problems.

Reactions: Chasitek
What makes the Dallas Cowboys a professional team? The fact that they play in a bazillion dollar stadium? It's surely not their record, or playoff success...

It's the uniforms--world class--fashionable--beyond words:

1548785864229.png

One of the most profound statements on fashion, was uttered by Zoro, in the movie, the "Gay Blade."

He stated: "There's no shame in being poor [read: scoring poorly], but in dressing poorly."

1548786231218.png

Last edited:
Reactions: glwood
Don't hate on the white top. Though I just got the cheapest hard top I could find.

I drove a friend's for a few days before I bought the TJ. It feels much roomier inside. Of course, they've got selectable lockers. They are reliable vehicles, very reliable, but look and feel a bit strange. Obviously I passed on it and went for the TJ. Occasionally I see them at off-road parks, they are usually sitting still watching us do stuff. They stare out the windows with faces that look like they're saying, "I don't think we're doing that. I think we're just here to Cruise."

The FJ cruiser had potential but imo they ruined it with the weird 4 door design and the ifs. The 79 series Landcruiser is really the only modern 4x4 toyota worth owning, it's unlucky that you guys dont get it in the states.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Quite a few years ago, some of you might remember, racer Rod Millen, built a one-off Cruiser based on the old FJ-40. It was a little wider, sat a little lower and of course, had a big motor. I was always hoping that Toyota would pick up on his creation and bring the FJ-40 back to life. But sadly that was not the case. And America got a Pacer on steroids.
When they first came out, I was truly sad and for that reason, I have never even sat in one. I know people like them but, also say that they have terrible blind spots, like the H3's do.

I've personally had 3 FJ's, two 40's and a 45 P/U, before my current TJ. The 40's had the white fiberglass top that just plain fit. The 45 had a steel top painted white from the factory.

When we move to our new home in Montana, my wife said that I could have one project. I'm torn between a FJ-45 P/U or an MB/CJ2A,3A,3B flat fender. 1 of those 5 will be in my shop, I hope.

I've got an old CJ Willy's and it's very cool, but I think I'd go FJ-45 Pickup.

I've seen some of the new Mahindras that look like the old CJs if I didn't have to be on the roads much I would think it would be a bit better than the Willy's. That's purely from assumptions and looks from afar though.

Reactions: KCNoDots
A friend has one. I’ll admit they are very capable as an off road vehicle but I’ve never been in anything with so many blind spots. To me it was horrible to drive, on and off road. You can’t even look up the mountainsides with the short windows. Put it at any angle and I felt half blind. I call it his yuppie cruiser just to piss him off.

... car ... blah, blah, blah ... car ... blah, blah, blah ... car ....

You're obviously a car person and that's okay. Sell the TJ and buy another car.

p.s. "modern" FJs are among the ugliest cars ever designed

i Really like the FJ’s and 5gen 4Runners as I own a trail 4Runner. However you really can’t put the wrangler and Toyota’s in the same category as one is mostly used for rock crawling/hard off roading and the other for overlanding(Toyota). You definitely can’t compare a tj/lj to an fj or newer 4Runner as they are incomparable as far as size and room. Both platforms are awesome in their own way.

When I was a young lad, my first 4x4 was an FJ40, Land Cruiser. It was 1978, I think. I bought a 1970 FJ40 and it was a tank. I paid $2,500, and I remember that well because I put $800 down and my aunt financed the rest. I paid it off in 6 months. It was as Heavy as a boulder but the design was all "offroad". The back seat side swing seats and the rear heater were awesome for that era.

Fast forward to whenever it was... Toyota announces that they are coming out with a new vehicle called the FJ Cruiser. I was excited. I love my Jeeps and always buy USA when I can, but let's see what the Japanese reliability machine puts out. Toyota reliability and a modern platform 4x4.
Then, when it came to the surface, it was IFS!!!! That, my friends, was a WTF! moment for me.
Then I learned that it was a Toyota pickup chassis with a mockup FJ40 looking body.
Enuf said. I'll keep my Jeeps. And reliability wise, my Jeeps are pretty darn good.
In other countries, Toyota provides solid front axles, but not in the USA. IDK if that is due to the Suzuki Samari lawsuit of old. Or if it's just because Americans like comfortable rides...
Bottom line, the FJ Cruiser was another Jeep win.

Quite a few years ago, some of you might remember, racer Rod Millen, built a one-off Cruiser based on the old FJ-40. It was a little wider, sat a little lower and of course, had a big motor. I was always hoping that Toyota would pick up on his creation and bring the FJ-40 back to life. But sadly that was not the case. And America got a Pacer on steroids.
When they first came out, I was truly sad and for that reason, I have never even sat in one. I know people like them but, also say that they have terrible blind spots, like the H3's do.

I've personally had 3 FJ's, two 40's and a 45 P/U, before my current TJ. The 40's had the white fiberglass top that just plain fit. The 45 had a steel top painted white from the factory.

When we move to our new home in Montana, my wife said that I could have one project. I'm torn between a FJ-45 P/U or an MB/CJ2A,3A,3B flat fender. 1 of those 5 will be in my shop, I hope.

Go MB! Your post is my plans as well.

Reactions: alittleoff
Saw a beautiful FJ in a creek bed while we were offroading this last weekend. The creek bed was rutted out pretty badly and he had his passenger tires in the rut. He wanted to get up on the dry land bypass, but he could'nt do it driving or winching. So he decided to ride the rut out. He was so close to the wall on the passenger side. And that big thing is just BIG. His buddies were just standing there doing nothing, so I tried to spot him along the way but he fell in a hole with his front left passenger and that thing just went right into the wall on his rear passenger fender. He said, "is it broke?" His buddy said, "It's getting there." Whatever the hell that means. The light was already broke off! So then I tell him to turn passenger and the tire will come out of the hole. Needless to say, it was the best thing he could do, but it was not good. My buddy Tim and I just stood their cringing as it cracked. The owner just said, "well, it's an extension of prior damage." Once he got out of the way we dropped back down in the creek, crawled out on the bypass and dropped back in after the worst part. We could have probably done the rut but didn't want to destroy the Toyota people entirely. As I crawled out effortlessly the two guys rolled their eyes and shook their head. They wouldn't even turn to watch Tim crawl out. They had seen enough. LOL!

My 13 year old son looked at me and said, "Dad, does FJ mean Fake Jeep?" "Yes son, yes son."

Reactions: OldButStillJeeping