Anybody else have a Bug-A-Salt?

89grand

TJ Addict
Damn that thing is fun. I've had mine for maybe 2 years, and I love shooting flies with it. If you don't have one, and you have flies around, quit being a pussy and get one today!

Reactions: Blackjack
Everyone keeps telling me how fun these are. I guess I need to invest in one, haha.

It's so fun. The best part is, you have to aim it (oddly the sights as crude as they are, are pretty much dead on), and be pretty decent with it, to get frequent kills. It takes a degree of practice and skill to use it effectively. I bought the "Lawn and Garden" version to compare, and it sucked. The standard 2.0 is where it's at.

I have a lot of guns, and shoot whenever I can, but this thing helps ease the cabin fever I get when it's too hot to shoot real guns for many months at a time.

Reactions: Chris
It's so fun. The best part is, you have to aim it (oddly the sights as crude as they are, are pretty much dead on), and be pretty decent with it, to get frequent kills. It takes a degree of practice and skill to use it effectively. I bought the "Lawn and Garden" version to compare, and it sucked. The standard 2.0 is where it's at.

I have a lot of guns, and shoot whenever I can, but this thing helps ease the cabin fever I get when it's too hot to shoot real guns for many months at a time.

And it's a lot cheaper to shoot than a real gun :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 89grand
Oh yea. Have had one for years and it stays in the kitchen or on the patio all through the warmer months. Sorry to see 89grand gave a bad review for the lawn and garden model but Ill still eventually buy one. The standard version is big medicine for flies but just doesn't cut it with yellow jackets and black widow spiders. I shot a huge black widow almost point blank off the bottom of a Weber kettle grill and after hitting the concrete it just looked up at me like "Is that all you got?" She shouldn't have given me that smartass look because she ended up as a spider grease spot. :)

• Haha
Reactions: TJ4Jim and Chris
Lol, yea, i have had one too. We take it camping all the time. Besides flies & bees, get a few beers in everyone & their fun to shoot at your buddies feet! If he's wearing shorts & flips flops, he'll jump for sure!
Best mod I've done is to pull the safety back & run a small screw thru it to permanently disable it!

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting
I just used super glue to disable the safety, no need for a screw. I also cut the tab thing off of it because I'm left handed, and it was irritating to hold as it dug into my trigger finger. The 3.0 has a cross bolt safety that works like a normal rifle safety. You either use it or don't, it's not that gay auto safety.

Reactions: Airjunky
Mine quit working after only one camping trip. I took it apart (naturally) but couldn't figure out how it works, so no hope of fixing it. It was fun and I could really use another one. I'll check out the 3.0

Yeah, that's what they call it. Some review did seem to show it being more effective than regular table salt. I guess the grains are supposed to be more uniform and of the ideal size. Could be marketing BS too.

What is your furthest kill? Do you have to be within swatting distance?

Coarse salt in an air rifle. Tissue paper wad top and bottom of the salt shot (like loading a black powder shotgun) should do the trick. :)

What is your furthest kill? Do you have to be within swatting distance?
I've taken many flies from 5-6 feet, some at even further distances. It is better to be a little closer, but you don't have to be right up on them at all. The spread gets pretty wide if too far, and that will disable, but not always kill a fly. The 3.0 appears to have a much tighter pattern and more power, so longer kills should be easier.

Reactions: L J
A piece of table salt has almost no mass and is generally squarish so it loses velocity and energy really, really, quickly. Out beyond maybe 24 inches you just as well wish the fly dead.

A piece of table salt has almost no mass and is generally squarish so it loses velocity and energy really, really, quickly. Out beyond maybe 24 inches you just as well wish the fly dead.
I don't know man, I've killed numerous flies past two feet. I mean 2-3 feet is probably the sweet spot, at least with the 2.0 I have, but I've gone quite a bit further too. Not unlike a real gun, aim is very important. I've shot this thing so many times I'm pretty accurate with it, but I wasn't when I first got it. I'd think I had a good shoot, and the fly would just fly off, and I'd think WTF is wrong with this thing. I rarely miss now.

Won one in a giveaway from Sportsmans Warehouse. Kids get a kick out of blasting skeeters. Ammo is certainly cheap enough.

So I got the 3.0 version last Thursday, and it is better in every way. The trigger is way better than the 2.0, I mean WAY better. Also, it doesn't have the stupid auto safety either. It has a cross bolt type you can use (why would you), or not use it, no longer the auto one that had to be disabled. The gun over all is a little slimmer in most dimensions. It doesn't look a lot different, but it is. And lastly, the pattern is much tighter like a shotgun choke. You need a good aim with it, but if you get a good hit, it does more damage than the 2.0. It's not hard to aim, and I rarely miss with it, but you do have to aim it.

I've taken down two horse flies, that would normally fly off when hit with the 2.0. I've gotten at least 100 confirmed kills since last Thursday evening.