Anybody familiar with GAIA GPS?

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Not sure if this is where I should post this but we don't have a "navigation" thread.

I have been messing around with gaia for a little bit(android) but haven't actually put it to the test, going trout fishing next weekend and that will be my first opportunity. The question I have at the moment is ; Which is best, several small "areas" (maps) such as the size of a county or more of a larger area like the upper half of the lower peninsula of Michigan?

Are you talking about downloading maps for offline use?

If so, that would be dictated by your available storage. If you're not certain exactly where you might go, it's nice to download an entire large area. If you're short on storage, it might be better to only download maps for just the areas you'll be exploring.

When you download a map, pay attention to the detail slider (number of scale levels). I prefer having the most detail, so I set it that way. However, more detail means more storage.

Reactions: matkal
I've used Gaia for years.

My preference is to download maps for the areas I am going to be in at a resolution sufficient to see the trails, roads, etc that I need (you can adjust the resolution in the download settings).

if you try to download the maps for a huge area at a useful resolution, the file will be massive. Whether that is a problem for your device or not, idk.

Definitely play around with which maps give you the info you need. Some are better for different activities.

Storage isn't a problem so far, I have a new 8" Tab A that I only use for GPS off line. I have the entire upper half of Michigan down loaded and within that large area I have a few, maybe 5 or 6, smaller areas downloaded. Since I have the larger area do I need the smaller ones? All at the highest detail setting.

Storage isn't a problem so far, I have a new 8" Tab A that I only use for GPS off line. I have the entire upper half of Michigan down loaded and within that large area I have a few, maybe 5 or 6, smaller areas downloaded. Since I have the larger area do I need the smaller ones? All at the highest detail setting.
If the small areas are from the same map as the larger area, you don’t need them.

If the small areas are from the same map as the larger area, you don’t need them.
I kinda thought so, thanks. I did the small maps first and then realized I might want a larger area at some point.

I really like the app and the idea of not having to use a dedicated Garmin($$$), looking forward to trying it out in the boonies and becoming more familiar with Gaia.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
I have used the Gaia app for 3 years now. We do a week long overlanding trip to the UP of Michigan. I downloaded the whole UP and download a lot of the routes and trails to it, plus all the trails we record. It’s nice to have it all on one map. Over 3 years of doing this, I have a quite a few trails mapped out. It’s nice having that info all on one map. Also helps in planning future trips.

Reactions: mrjp and matkal
I have used the Gaia app for 3 years now. We do a week long overlanding trip to the UP of Michigan. I downloaded the whole UP and download a lot of the routes and trails to it, plus all the trails we record. It’s nice to have it all on one map. Over 3 years of doing this, I have a quite a few trails mapped out. It’s nice having that info all on one map. Also helps in planning future trips.
Do you know of a source for GPX tracks other than the DNR? Northern lower and the UP?

I definitely want to get up to the UP but it might be a while. I’m trying to start out with small bites. I’m going to try the Mio Route and the Atlanta Route next weekend.

What area of the UP would you recommend? Used to hunt in the Huron Mts around Herman and over by Skanee.

Do you know of a source for GPX tracks other than the DNR? Northern lower and the UP?

I definitely want to get up to the UP but it might be a while. I’m trying to start out with small bites. I’m going to try the Mio Route and the Atlanta Route next weekend.

What area of the UP would you recommend? Used to hunt in the Huron Mts around Herman and over by Skanee.
I have mostly used the DNR files, they are a good guild to setting a course. I always try and remain flexible with our routes, so if we see a cool trail we will explore it and most times we can reconnect with the planned route. I did find one other file, I’ll have to look it up, found it on another forum, but it was a loop of the whole UP.

Drummond island is great. We do week long trips, so one year we hit the 2 hearted river area for a few days and headed to Drummond for the remainder of the week. Lots of trails, off-road park, plus it’s an island which is a cool experience, have to take a 10min ferry ride to get to it.

Last year we did the “7 hour plane crash trail” I do believe I found route files for that. It actually starts in Wisconsin, but we started it in Watersmeed, which is pretty close to the border of Wisconsin. That trail takes you all the way up to the tip of the Keewenaw Peninsula. That was a fun trip, we stayed on trails mostly for 3 days to get there. Not a lot of campgrounds in the area, so for two nights we just found a place off he trail to camp as we traveled. The tip of keewenaw is pretty cool! We camped right on the tip of keewenaw peninsula for 3 days. It’s referred to as High Rock bay. Awesome views!

• Love