Anybody have a Ford Excursion?

ranger101

TJ Addict
Anybody have one? 7.3, V10 or 6.0? I’ve really been looking at them lately and want to get one before they go up in price again. Currently have my eye on a higher mileage, one owner 7.3 with 280k. Nothing to be afraid of, but I’d imagine that 4R100 could use a rebuild. I’d be selling a Mercedes E55 AMG to get it. As much as I’ve loved that car for almost 4yrs now, it’s not practical for my needs anymore(hauling a dog or larger adults in the back seat). And it definitely isn’t going to pull my TJ in a time of need. I originally bought it for road trips which I’ve done plenty of with it. But I’m meticulous about the car and considering it’s condition would never let my dog ride in it. I don’t trust most people to ride in it honestly.. maybe I’m just trying to talk myself into letting one thing go for another, but ya can’t own them all right? 😅

Car in question:
764C18AB-B419-435B-8A2F-3EAD094C054E.jpeg
8F969FFC-FE55-4D8F-ACF2-F3F2CCBF6A02.jpeg

84E4188A-E40D-4224-A29D-422AC6D63D0F.jpeg

I know nothing about them, but why would they go up in price? Are the highly sought after?

Your AMG is about as practical as my former M5 and Hellcat :ROFLMAO:

I feel you, trust me.

• Haha
Reactions: ranger101
They seem to fluctuate in pricing the last few years. I also saw where Ford renewed the trademark for the name “Excursion” which got a lot of people excited(for whatever reason). They’re becoming more sought after, like any 7.3 honestly, especially finding a clean untouched example.

Reactions: Chris
The 7.3 excursions are already crazy expensive (for what they are IMO). There was a guy on FB marketplace selling his for $25k with 110k miles. I would look into getting an F250 7.3 before I got an excursion. Seems like basically the same thing but with a bed.

The 7.3 excursions are already crazy expensive (for what they are IMO). There was a guy on FB marketplace selling his for $25k with 110k miles. I would look into getting an F250 7.3 before I got an excursion. Seems like basically the same thing but with a bed.

Excursions are based on a CCSB F250 chassis. What I’m looking for is something around $10-15k with less than 250k miles, but I’m really considering this one with 280k. I honestly want the extra space for hauling people. Otherwise I’d go for a CCLB 7.3 or 6.7 Powerstroke. I have a Ranger for “truck things” but I know that’s not comparable to a full-size 8ft bed. My dad has an 18ft dovetail trailer that I would haul the TJ on so no extra purchases there. We also make 3-5 beach trips a year, 6hrs one way and there’s always an issue somewhere along the lines as far as space goes or who’s riding with who. Fortunately, having a Jeep always counts me out on hauling other people but I would like to start taking our dog with us.

They don’t tow heavy loads well without mods. I have looked at them a bit for your exact reasons.

the rear springs (especially after 280k) will need to be swapped. They are sprung soft as Ford knew they would skirt be mostly a family hauler. So plan to put rear F250 springs in. Also, they don’t share the same frame as a F250. The rear half is different, I don’t remember what exactly as it was years back I researched them, but to tow heavy there was some concern and measures to be taken before pulling a lot weight. Read on that.

280k is getting up there. What has the owner done? I mean, you mentioned the trans and I’d honestly be shocked it has gone through at least one build, maybe two if it wasn’t built.

Injectors are done at that mileage, the HPOP is tired, turbo should be checked for play....you need to ask and see what your looking at repair wise.

The 7.3 is a great engine, but you could be looking at a 7-8k freshening up with engine alone. That’s parts.

you honestly would be better off finding a 100k mile V10. They cost nearly nothing compared to a worn out 7.3. Last one I saw was a 2005 Limited with 120k on it for 6k.

Need more info to really say go for it but I’d walk on a near 300k mile truck unless it was completely freshened up.

Reactions: Chris and ranger101
@Rubi04 those are all things that I’m inquiring about well before I even consider making a purchase. Im not new to owning a high(er) maintenance vehicle and not new to 7.3’s either. No expert in anything by any means though. The way I see it has always been buy once, cry once. Or don’t get upset when you’re left stranded 😂

From my understanding the frame difference is only after the axle. Which is why they had a different hitch than the SD. It would definitely get a spring swap as I already have a set of 2011+ F350 leafs in the garage and would swap in different front leafs to level the truck. I think that would also solve most issues I may have with towing. I think it would be around ~8k pounds when all said and done(TJ/trailer) and that’s only when I would NEED to trailer it. Towing the Jeep isn’t something I plan on doing often, but I will always be prepared for the occasion.

I will admit I know nothing about the V10’s and have not completely ruled them out. My ignorance to them is my biggest hesitation.

Reactions: Rick Flair
The 7.3 Excursions are worth a pretty penny now. Even clean 6.0 trucks are pretty valuable. The V10 trucks are probably the lowest value of the 3, but clean ones around here still fetch good money.

They're great trucks. Basically a F250, with a few small differences. Most notable are softer springs, but they can be swapped with F350 springs no problem.

The E55 looks nice! I've actually been looking for one. They're killer cars!

@Rubi04 those are all things that I’m inquiring about well before I even consider making a purchase. Im not new to owning a high(er) maintenance vehicle and not new to 7.3’s either. No expert in anything by any means though. The way I see it has always been buy once, cry once. Or don’t get upset when you’re left stranded 😂

From my understanding the frame difference is only after the axle. Which is why they had a different hitch than the SD. It would definitely get a spring swap as I already have a set of 2011+ F350 leafs in the garage and would swap in different front leafs to level the truck. I think that would also solve most issues I may have with towing. I think it would be around ~8k pounds when all said and done(TJ/trailer) and that’s only when I would NEED to trailer it. Towing the Jeep isn’t something I plan on doing often, but I will always be prepared for the occasion.

I will admit I know nothing about the V10’s and have not completely ruled them out. My ignorance to them is my biggest hesitation.

Sounds like you got it pretty sorted out then.

I think the V10 is a great engine. The 3V models got the better, updated heads so they won’t spit the plugs. It’s Fords modular engine design, basically a 5.4 V8 with two more cylinders. Coil packs tend to die but are cheap and easy to replace on them.

they won’t get the best mileage, 10-12 mpg in that huge SUV: but I’d choose one with low miles over a high mileage diesel. The rest of the truck still has 280k on it, things will be loose and worn everywhere u less the owner was OCD and has addressed it all!

Yeah I think the frame needed a different hitch. I also remember the sway bar was too small when towing heavy, like I said a few things but sounds like you got it covered.

Ford is still using that V10 in their class C chassis, it solid and reliable.

@Rubi04 at 10-12mpg, I don’t think a 7.3 will see much better under the same towing conditions. Unloaded is where I think the V10 is going to remain a gas hog.

I joined a couple Excursion FB pages to start reading up on things. I’ll do some more research into the V10. They’re very prevalent and seem to move fast so if I hold out I could find one with decent options. And there’s a lot of high mileage ones out there so they must have some good things to them. I’m assuming the 04-05 trucks are the 3V motors? Do you have any experience with the V10? I love a 5.4, just hate their issues. We had an Expedition that blew a plug at 275k.

7.3 is a beast. Love the OBS look but would stick to the newer 7.3s if you don't want to put a lot of work into keeping it from being a slug comparatively. I wouldn't touch any 6.0 especially an early model 6.0. I've known too many people with issues; bulletproofed or not. Ask anyone about the PITA injectors and how if you do one you might as well do them all.

I hadn't considered the V10s as the gas mileage was something like 8-10 MPG on built rigs.

They are crazy expensive. There is a guy selling a 2WD 7.3 Excursion with under 150K for $35K. I've seen others that are beat to hell going in the mid 20s. Nope....

I've always wanted one and did my due diligence when I was seriously looking to buy one a few years back but couldn't convince myself to spend the money on something that genuinely has such expensive repair costs. Best one I saw was a 01 7.3 that was built right with under 30k miles. Of course he wanted $45k but it was a sweet zombie apocalypse build.

Also note, those older Fords are super easy to steal. Most of the time you just need a jiggler key.

@Rubi04 at 10-12mpg, I don’t think a 7.3 will see much better under the same towing conditions. Unloaded is where I think the V10 is going to remain a gas hog.

I joined a couple Excursion FB pages to start reading up on things. I’ll do some more research into the V10. They’re very prevalent and seem to move fast so if I hold out I could find one with decent options. And there’s a lot of high mileage ones out there so they must have some good things to them. I’m assuming the 04-05 trucks are the 3V motors? Do you have any experience with the V10? I love a 5.4, just hate their issues. We had an Expedition that blew a plug at 275k.

Yeah the V10 will be a fuel hog. I’m not 100% sure when the 3v hit but you want to stay with ‘03+ for the very simple fact of turning radius. They went to a coil setup over leafs and the knuckles would allow more swing and therefore, better radius. They ride better too.

I owned a 99 with a V10. So, first Year and they were really down on HP that year too. No issues, it Had a 4” lift and 35” tires. I got 12 mpg, pulling was 8 mpg or so.

I was actually eyeballing Ford Vans to turn into a off-road capable rig, so V10’s are easier to find. Then of course that lead me into excursions again as I wouldn’t have the work or expenses of conversion.

Here, you can find nice 04-05 Limiteds with the V10 for less than 10k. People just want the diesels and I honestly think that is a mistake. The 7.3 stock isn’t much better than the V10’s of the time, beating them only in a 20-25% fuel mileage increase. Had a 7.3 too, my V10 would pull just as well. Until I modified the diesel. 😂

Reactions: ranger101
I looked at Excursions when I was trying to find a tow rig. The gas mileage is so bad that you'd be better off just driving your TJ.

I decided on an F150, found a 2011 Turbo V6 EcoBoost with a tow package and Super Crew cab. It tows round 11,500 lbs. I'm a big guy (that's the second time I've said that in the same day on this forum) and I find it very comfortable. I can even fit in the back without my knees shoving up into my rib cage.

I get better gas mileage towing my TJ with my F150 than I do actually driving my TJ.

I looked at Excursions when I was trying to find a tow rig. The gas mileage is so bad that you'd be better off just driving your TJ.

I decided on an F150, found a 2011 Turbo V6 EcoBoost with a tow package and Super Crew cab. It tows round 11,500 lbs. I'm a big guy (that's the second time I've said that in the same day on this forum) and I find it very comfortable. I can even fit in the back without my knees shoving up into my rib cage.

I get better gas mileage towing my TJ with my F150 than I do actually driving my TJ.

I got the same gas mileage towing my TJ behind the 30'+ Jayco with the Triton V10 as driving the Jeep by itself the same route the following year.

Last edited:
My buddy and his family love Excursions, think they have at least two, maybe three now. I know he just picked one up in Florida for $4000. Cosmetically its got a few marks, but overall its in good shape, the frame and engine are solid.

He orginally planned on using it as a donor to fix up his dad's rusted out Excursion, damn rust belt! But he likes it too much so he is keeping it. He's talking about getting another in Florida from from the same dealer after the Rona dies down, apparently they are plentiful down there.

Checking back in to give a little update on this. I got my car sold a few days ago and went and picked up this 2000 Excursion. It’s a completely stock 7.3 with 260k miles. Came from an Arizona chili farm, so no rust which is a big deal for the east coast. Fresh transmission, steering box, ball joints etc. Needs a little bit of love and some fresh paint but overall I’m happy with it.
6CCF99C4-8A5C-4AD8-90F3-D0F1A800E4DE.jpeg

Hope you didn't pay a leg and another leg. Those 7.3s are really becoming collectors items.
Picked it up for $7,500. I gave myself a $10k budget so I still have plenty of money left over to go through and cover all of the maintenance and make it look good. It seems to be a real strong running truck so I’m pretty excited haha