Anybody have any experience with UCF front bumper?

Id consider doing the aluminum rear tire carrier.... but have a drop-down tailgate. these 2 do not mix well. I would never recommend the drop-down tailgate to anyone after having it set up.

Id consider doing the aluminum rear tire carrier.... but have a drop-down tailgate. these 2 do not mix well. I would never recommend the drop-down tailgate to anyone after having it set up.
What do you not like about the drop down tailgate? I have been on the fence about it for a while.

Anybody have any experience with UCF front bumper? I'm looking to eliminate any unnecessary weight from my Jeep. I came across UCF's aluminium bumper and saw it weighed in at 9lbs. I haven't found any reviews from anybody running one.
https://undercoverfab.com/jeep-tj-l...num-front-bumper-for-jeep-wrangler-tj-lj.html

I've been running the UCF aluminum frame width bumper, aluminum winch plate and steel hoop for several years. I have zero complaints and it has been used/abused. I also run the UCF aluminum rear bumper tire carrier combination. The only issue I could see with the front bumper version in the link would be bending the ends of the bumper. The rear UCF bumper I have is similar and I've midly bent the ends a couple times. Never anything major, but it will flex more than steel. That said, the one you included looks similar to the Savvy model. I wouldn't hesitate to run either.

There are ways to prevent that damage, but the bumper couldn't still be 9lbs.

It could be, by itself. Add the winch plate and hoop and it will not!

It could be, by itself. Add the winch plate and hoop and it will not!

Off hand, I can think of three bumpers that look similar but are significantly different in the thoroughness of the details. Beyond that the lack of some details and features don't matter until they do.

Reactions: rasband
What do you not like about the drop down tailgate? I have been on the fence about it for a while.

It makes it very difficult to reach inside. open your tailgate, stand back about 2 ft or so from your jeep, and try to reach in.... you will quickly see.

I have the steel version of the ultra clearance front bumper, and added my own hoop. overall a very well made steel bumper, I would assume the aluminum one would be just as nice.

If I go aluminum, I stick with Savvy however.

40516963_10155898949065698_6316998144739508224_o (1).jpg

Reactions: 06lj
I picked up the front bumper and winch plate for my Jeep last year. Between those and switching to a synthetic winch line and aluminum fairlead, I shaved a verified 50 lbs. off the nose of the Jeep. Maybe the day it goes over backwards, I'll wish the weight was still up there, but I like that the front axle has that much less weight to lift up onto ledges. I do my best not to bash into things, so I decided it was worth the risk. I prefer shorter bumpers regardless, so odds are, if I hit anything, it's going to be the front fenders, so an extra strong front bumper isn't going to do much. Savvy's bumpers are prettier, but that wasn't enough for me to spend the extra money on them. I like the basic, straight forward look of the UCF bumper, so I was planning to get one either way. Once I added shipping costs onto the bumper, the difference between the aluminum vs. the steel bumper was less than 20 bucks, since the aluminum is so much lighter to ship.
The new combo only has one trip on it to date, but I can report that the bumper is strong enough to hold a roughly 110 lb teenager without any trouble. ;)

IMG_20190808_152652002_2 (2).jpg

I've been running the UCF aluminum frame width bumper, aluminum winch plate and steel hoop for several years. I have zero complaints and it has been used/abused. I also run the UCF aluminum rear bumper tire carrier combination. The only issue I could see with the front bumper version in the link would be bending the ends of the bumper. The rear UCF bumper I have is similar and I've midly bent the ends a couple times. Never anything major, but it will flex more than steel. That said, the one you included looks similar to the Savvy model. I wouldn't hesitate to run either.

@Irun sorry to bump an old thread but how are your fog/running lights mounted there? Did you use custom tabs or something?

I actually bought the bumper/winch plate/hoop from @Irun and I can say that it is very strong. I smashed it on some rocks and it got a little scraped up and is in good working order. The aluminum bumper, aluminum winch plate and steel hoop weigh in at about 25lbs or so. I also had to winch out at an angle and had no issues. Super stout, would highly recommend.

I actually bought the bumper/winch plate/hoop from @Irun and I can say that it is very strong. I smashed it on some rocks and it got a little scraped up and is in good working order. The aluminum bumper, aluminum winch plate and steel hoop weigh in at about 25lbs or so. I also had to winch out at an angle and had no issues. Super stout, would highly recommend.

Good to hear. I'm pretty much down to deciding between a Dirtworx or one of these. Two totally different bumpers kinda for two different things, I know. Just really digging the weight + modular + price of UCF option.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
@Irun sorry to bump an old thread but how are your fog/running lights mounted there? Did you use custom tabs or something?

I went to Lowes and picked up a short piece of 2" aluminum bar. I cut it down to a short piece, rounded off the edges, drilled three holes (Two for the bumper bolts and one for the fog light), then painted and installed it.

Front%20Bumper%20UCF%20Raw%20Aluminum%20Stock_zpsejfdbikm(1).jpg

Front%20Bumper%20UCF%20Raw%20Bracket_zpstsgycghl.jpg

Front%20Bumper%20UCF%20Raw%20Bracket%20Test%20Fit_zpsagn4scll.jpg

I went to Lowes and picked up a short piece of 2" aluminum bar. I cut it down to a short piece, rounded off the edges, drilled three holes (Two for the bumper bolts and one for the fog light), then painted and installed it.

View attachment 136335

View attachment 136336

View attachment 136338

Thanks that's super helpful. I was ready to just get the wider one and drill directly into the ends of the bumper for mounting points. I like this better though...

Reactions: Irun

View attachment 136335

View attachment 136336

View attachment 136338
I'm working to install my UCF front this week. I was thinking of doing something like your fog light mount, but hadn't considered aluminum stock. Or buy some roll bar tabs and weld them to the hoop. Thanks. I'll copy your idea.

Reactions: Irun